Driving on a suspended license questions and confusions

Started by Xer0, March 15, 2009, 05:35:02 PM

Xer0

Okay, here is the story.

Some two years ago, I had a court date for making a right on red.  I forgot about the court date and went to second one that they issued me.  So I went, paid all of my fines, and got my license back.  Fast forward two years and I get pulled over for speeding.  Apparently, when I missed that first court date my license had been suspended by the secretary of state.  My car got towed, I went to jail, and was issued a driving on a suspended license ticket.  I?ve since been getting countless letters from different law firms offering to defend me.  Should I even bother?

Now then, for the confusing part.  My license isn?t suspended.  After I had gotten pulled over I called the secretary of states office and asked about it.  The person on the other line said she didn?t understand why my license was suspended and simply re-instated it.  So, I have a driving on a suspended license ticket and a license that isn?t suspended.  Needless to say, I?m confused.

Laconian

The situation sounds like a bureaucratic mixup and might be an easy fix, but I would probably get a lawyer anyways just to make sure that all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Xer0 on March 15, 2009, 05:35:02 PM
Okay, here is the story.

Some two years ago, I had a court date for making a right on red.  I forgot about the court date and went to second one that they issued me.  So I went, paid all of my fines, and got my license back.  Fast forward two years and I get pulled over for speeding.  Apparently, when I missed that first court date my license had been suspended by the secretary of state.  My car got towed, I went to jail, and was issued a driving on a suspended license ticket.  I’ve since been getting countless letters from different law firms offering to defend me.  Should I even bother?

Now then, for the confusing part.  My license isn’t suspended.  After I had gotten pulled over I called the secretary of states office and asked about it.  The person on the other line said she didn’t understand why my license was suspended and simply re-instated it.  So, I have a driving on a suspended license ticket and a license that isn’t suspended.  Needless to say, I’m confused.

Secretary of State? So, you're in Michigan?

You need to get a print out of your driving record and a court date, and take that in and show the judge.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Xer0

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 15, 2009, 05:41:04 PM
Secretary of State? So, you're in Michigan?

You need to get a print out of your driving record and a court date, and take that in and show the judge.

Nope, Illinois, got ol Jesse White.

I had what I think is a driving record printed out for me but I'm going to go and see if I can get another one just to be sure.

Quote from: Laconian on March 15, 2009, 05:38:19 PM
The situation sounds like a bureaucratic mixup and might be an easy fix, but I would probably get a lawyer anyways just to make sure that all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Thats what I'm thinking to, or rather, hoping.  But we'll see

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Xer0 on March 15, 2009, 06:14:10 PM
Nope, Illinois, got ol Jesse White.

I had what I think is a driving record printed out for me but I'm going to go and see if I can get another one just to be sure.

Thats what I'm thinking to, or rather, hoping.  But we'll see

Bad luck. We've two Michigan cops here, and one from Ohio that post regularly.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

The moral of the story is:  don't miss court dates.

I don't follow the speed limits very well, but once I get a ticket, I rigorously adhere to the procedures to get it settled, one way or another.  No sense having a small issue mushroom into a large one.

You may be wise to get a lawyer to make sure all the loose ends are tied up.  Bureaucratic snafus are notoriously difficult for a person without knowledge of the system to fix.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

Your first step is to get documentation from the state regarding your driving status at the time of the offense. That your license is valid now makes no difference to the court. If you can get documentation that your license was suspended in error, then you shouldn't need a lawyer. That sounds simple enough, but getting that kind of documentation probably won't be easy...that kind of document means basically getting a bureaucrat to admit that they screwed up. Without that documentation, you're going to have a very difficult time winning that kind of case. It's guaranteed that the officer will have documentation that shows your suspended license at the time of the arrest.

sparkplug

Quote from: bing_oh on March 16, 2009, 07:13:29 AM
That sounds simple enough, but getting that kind of documentation probably won't be easy...that kind of document means basically getting a bureaucrat to admit that they screwed up.

That is kind of hard. I find a kick in the nuts works best.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Xer0

Quote from: bing_oh on March 16, 2009, 07:13:29 AM
Your first step is to get documentation from the state regarding your driving status at the time of the offense. That your license is valid now makes no difference to the court. If you can get documentation that your license was suspended in error, then you shouldn't need a lawyer. That sounds simple enough, but getting that kind of documentation probably won't be easy...that kind of document means basically getting a bureaucrat to admit that they screwed up. Without that documentation, you're going to have a very difficult time winning that kind of case. It's guaranteed that the officer will have documentation that shows your suspended license at the time of the arrest.

How hard will it be getting a letter from them saying "opps"?  And exactly what should I ask for and how should I ask for it?  Beyond that, assuming they say I?m shit out of luck, what kind of fines and penalties would I be looking at?

bing_oh

Quote from: Xer0 on March 17, 2009, 07:46:48 AM
How hard will it be getting a letter from them saying "opps"?  And exactly what should I ask for and how should I ask for it?  Beyond that, assuming they say I?m shit out of luck, what kind of fines and penalties would I be looking at?

Like I said, getting such a letter means getting a bureaucrat to say that they made a mistake. In my experience in government, nobody makes a mistake themselves...it's always somebody else's fault.

If I were in your position, I'd start exactly where you left off...with the lady who told you that she didn't know why you were under suspension and restored your driving privileges. Sounds like she might be able to give you documentation that your license was suspended in error...or at least point you to somebody who can. And, that's exactly what you need: a letter stating that the suspension was put in place in error and was, therefore, invalid. You might also get that kind of documentation from the court, since it sounds like they were the ones who sent the suspension request to the state after you missed your first court date.

As for fines and penalties, that's going to be totally dependant on your state laws and the judge. The penalties that my local municipal court judge in Ohio would give for DUS will probably not be the same as what yours will give in Illinois.

Catman

Quote from: bing_oh on March 17, 2009, 08:22:01 AM
Like I said, getting such a letter means getting a bureaucrat to say that they made a mistake. In my experience in government, nobody makes a mistake themselves...it's always somebody else's fault.

If I were in your position, I'd start exactly where you left off...with the lady who told you that she didn't know why you were under suspension and restored your driving privileges. Sounds like she might be able to give you documentation that your license was suspended in error...or at least point you to somebody who can. And, that's exactly what you need: a letter stating that the suspension was put in place in error and was, therefore, invalid. You might also get that kind of documentation from the court, since it sounds like they were the ones who sent the suspension request to the state after you missed your first court date.

As for fines and penalties, that's going to be totally dependant on your state laws and the judge. The penalties that my local municipal court judge in Ohio would give for DUS will probably not be the same as what yours will give in Illinois.

When we make an arrest like that a certified copy of the license status at the the time of arrest is requested from the RMV.  This is more for court reasons.  Obviously the officer found that it was suspended at the time so the issue is whether the DMV/RMV was in error.  Good luck with that.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Rupert

TurboDan

Rupert

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on March 19, 2009, 07:23:54 PM
That's a new one to me....

Washington has the DOL.

Department of....L'transportation?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Licensing. They also license hunters, boaters, etc. Very odd, of you ask me.

dazzleman

Connecticut has the DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles.  New York calls it the DMV also.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

So do Oregon and Idaho. I think it's the most common name...

TBR

In Texas it's the DOT, Department of Transportation.

TurboDan

Quote from: Psilos on March 19, 2009, 07:56:49 PM
Licensing. They also license hunters, boaters, etc. Very odd, of you ask me.

Well, the MVC does all the boat registrations in NJ, too.  Your boat registration card looks identical to your car registration card - save for a HIN (hull identification number) instead of a VIN. It also has your horsepower and fuel type on it. On our waterways, the law enforcement agency is the NJ State Police Marine Division. Only a handful of towns have police boats, mostly the larger suburban towns with tens of miles of waterfront.

As far as hunters, Fish & Wildlife take care of that.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: dazzleman on March 19, 2009, 08:06:02 PM
Connecticut has the DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles.  New York calls it the DMV also.
+1 for California.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

dazzleman

Have any of you guys ever had your licenses suspended?  I have not, though I got a warning letter once that another ticket could lead to suspension.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on March 20, 2009, 08:47:41 PM
Have any of you guys ever had your licenses suspended?  I have not, though I got a warning letter once that another ticket could lead to suspension.

Twice, for canceling the insurance on cars after I sold them. Technically, my license is still suspended in South Carolina. Fuck em.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Huh? Cancelling insurance after you sold the car can get your license suspended? Isn't that sort of necessary? How else is a buyer going to legally test drive the car?