Ford plans 5.5L V6 Diesel

Started by dave998, August 09, 2005, 09:18:38 AM

dave998

Its funny I was talking to someone last night about thier need to replace the V6 currently being used. The diesel will definately help out in the horsepower and fuel economy wars.

Possible Ford plans could mean more jobs

An automotive trade publication said Monday that Ford plans to offer a 6-cylinder diesel in its full-sized, F-150 pickup trucks as soon as fall 2009, a move that could mean hundreds of jobs in Columbia.

Ford officials would not comment on the report in Monday?s edition of Automotive News. The article, citing unnamed industry sources, said Ford plans a 5.5-liter, V-6 diesel engine for its Expedition sport utility vehicle and F-150 pickup but that the engine introduction has been delayed, possibly beyond fall 2009, the beginning of the 2010 model year.

A Siemens official said last year that the plant could double its jobs if Ford extended diesels to higher-volume models. Its 500 workers make diesel injectors for super-duty Ford F-250 and F-350 trucks.

-----------

This will proably make its way into the re-engineered 2009 MY F-150. The F-150 is currently on a 4-year re-engineer cycle to make sure its competitive in its segment.

TBR

Just like to point out that Ford already has a diesel V6 (though I don't believe it is that large) that is used in its medium duty trucks, it was originally supposed to be in the 2004 F-150 but Ford decided there wasn't enough demand. Bet they are regreting that decision now.

cawimmer430

That's a big ass displacement!  :blink:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

850CSi

giant_mtb

That's like...bigger than the Ford GT's engine, but with 2 less cylinders!  :o  :lol:  

Raghavan

TBR

What's wrong with that? The 5.9l cummins is an I6 and it makes over 600 lb ft of torque.  

Raghavan

QuoteWhat's wrong with that? The 5.9l cummins is an I6 and it makes over 600 lb ft of torque.
dunno, just seems big for a 6 cyl.

TBR

Raza

A 5.5L 6 cylinder diesel?  

That thing is going to have neck breaking torque.  Nice.

B)  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

QuoteA 5.5L 6 cylinder diesel?  

That thing is going to have neck breaking torque.  Nice.

B)
:rockon: ...Thats huge for a 6
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

That thing is going to have neck breaking torque.  Nice.

B)
With that kind of displacement and the fact that it's a diesel, you're going to get a massive amount of torque.  The E320 CDI has 379 lb-ft, and it's a 3.2L.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

QuoteA 5.5L 6 cylinder diesel??

That thing is going to have neck breaking torque.? Nice.

B)
With that kind of displacement and the fact that it's a diesel, you're going to get a massive amount of torque.  The E320 CDI has 379 lb-ft, and it's a 3.2L.
The more torque the better
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

B)
The more torque the better
Yes, torque is good.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

B)
Keep in mind that this truck diesel probably won't be as advanced as MB's 3.2 CDI is, expect between 400 and 450 lb ft of torque.

Raghavan

B)
Keep in mind that this truck diesel probably won't be as advanced as MB's 3.2 CDI is, expect between 400 and 450 lb ft of torque.
damn. i was hoping at least 550

TBR

Not likely, that is the output of the 6-0l powerstroke in the Super duties/

Raghavan

QuoteNot likely, that is the output of the 6-0l powerstroke in the Super duties/
oh. ok then.

FlatBlackCaddy

I think nissan even used a large I-6 diesel in other markets(i want to say a 7.3L I-6, but i don't think it was that big).

280Z Turbo

Are there any problems with having huge cylinders? Is it as efficient as having more smaller cylinders?

Raghavan

QuoteAre there any problems with having huge cylinders? Is it as efficient as having more smaller cylinders?
not as hight revving.

FlatBlackCaddy

the downside of a large displacement low cylinder motor is its ability to rev, which in the case of a diesel motor(sometimes with redlines as low as 3K), it isn't a problem. In the case of a diesel it actually benefits the low end torque.

Tom

Drop it in the 500 and it's no longer underpowered ;)  It might be hard to mount this engine sideways...

TBR

It would be quite hard to get a diesel engine that big into the Five Hundred's engine compartment, in fact it is probably impossible.

Tom

QuoteIt would be quite hard to get a diesel engine that big into the Five Hundred's engine compartment, in fact it is probably impossible.
It was a joke ;)  

Submariner

B)
I-6's in 18 wheelers can get up to 13 leters of displacement.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

BMWDave

QuoteA 5.5L 6 cylinder diesel??

That thing is going to have neck breaking torque.? Nice.

B)
I-6's in 18 wheelers can get up to 13 leters of displacement.
Yea, its insane.  They dont make so much hp, but they make tremendous amounts of torque.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...