Camaro SS prototype lapped ?Ring in 8:19

Started by SVT666, March 16, 2009, 09:25:33 PM

Xer0

Its unbelievable that the Colbalt is faster then the Solstice with the same engine.  GM really worked some magic with that car.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ChrisV

Quote from: the Teuton on March 16, 2009, 10:56:55 PM
It isn't an obsession with high quality interiors.  It's a fascination with an interior that might actually be worse than the one in the 1994-2002 F Body.  The high sills make it next to impossible to see out of, too.

The interior holds the gauges and the seats and keeps teh weather off of you. In a car that's supposed to be fast for relatively cheap, that's all it needs to do.

And the last sentence is just one of the many really dumb things people say on here. I'm starting to lose track of who's made the dumbest car statments anymore...

Quote from: Raza  on March 16, 2009, 11:05:47 PM
Three seconds on Laguna Seca is not close.  Three seconds over a 12 mile course is pretty fucking close. 

But it's not an official time, so no real conclusions can be drawn.  Except that it's ugly.

And probably won't ever come out.

You know that last isn't true as I've already posted a pic of a whole shitload of production Camaros, both V6 and V8, sitting outside the plant ready to be shipped to dealers.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TBR

Quote from: ChrisV on March 17, 2009, 07:01:39 AM
And the last sentence is just one of the many really dumb things people say on here. I'm starting to lose track of who's made the dumbest car statments anymore...

Although I agree with you about the interior, I disagree about the belt line. High belt lines aren't a good thing, it makes it hard to see out and makes the car feel bulkier when driving.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on March 17, 2009, 07:34:37 AM
Although I agree with you about the interior, I disagree about the belt line. High belt lines aren't a good thing, it makes it hard to see out and makes the car feel bulkier when driving.

The Beltline isn't high. The Greenhouse is just short.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on March 17, 2009, 07:39:19 AM
The Beltline isn't high. The Greenhouse is just short.
If the greenhouse is short than the belt line has to be high, unless GM wants to sell the car to short people only.

r0tor

You know that last isn't true as I've already posted a pic of a whole shitload of production Camaros, both V6 and V8, sitting outside the plant ready to be shipped to dealers.

.... yet they are not being shipped to dealers despite having orders taken for them how many years ago in some cases?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: the Teuton on March 16, 2009, 11:09:29 PM
We'll see, but it's going to have to be one hell of a car to beat the revised 'Stang.
You must be talking about the interior! There is no way a 315hp 'Stang will outperform a 422hp SS. Handling might be close (no SS has been tested so I'm giving the 'Stang the benefit of the doubt) but the SS will put up better numbers everywhere else.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on March 17, 2009, 08:12:49 AM

.... yet they are not being shipped to dealers despite having orders taken for them how many years ago in some cases?

Um, the pic I posted was only from a couple weeks ago. They were probably waiting for proper transportation. Whether they are at the dealers or not is irrelevant to whether the cars were actually manufactured.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Nethead

HEMI666:  Consider this quote from your posting: "...we did learn today from General Motors that what the automaker calls an ?80 percent? prototype of the neo-muscle car lapped Germany?s N?rburgring in a reasonable 8:19."

How many vehicles could easily match--or beat substantially--an 8:19 if you allowed the drivers to change that other twenty percent of their car in whatever details suited them?  Changing essentially every fifth part of a car could make a world of difference if done correctly. 

The truth won't out until someone buys a production Camaro off a dealership lot, takes it to the 'Ring, and allows a capable driver to have at it.  Then, there'll be results from a "100 percent" version of "the neo-muscle car", eh?  And that's what Chevy will make available to you through their dealerships, be that  better  or  worse  than an 8:19 from an "80 percent" prototype...
So many stairs...so little time...

Raza

Quote from: 565 on March 16, 2009, 11:58:53 PM
It's more to do with the Cobalt SS being F***ing ridiculous as a FWD pocket rocket than the Camaro being slow.

I mean look what the Cobalt beat around VIR in C&D's lightning lap comparisons.

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/download/128503/1741886/version/1/file/LightningLapTimes.xls

Look where it finds itself in the rankings.

Ford Shelby GT500   03:11.0
Audi RS4   03:11.2
BMW Z4 M Coupe   03:11.7
Nissan 350Z Track   03:12.5
Chevrolet Cobalt SS   03:13.0
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR   03:13.3
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR   03:13.5
BMW 135i   03:13.5
Lexus IS-F   03:14.0
Audi S5   03:14.5
Honda S2000 CR   03:15.0
Pontiac Solstice GXP   03:15.7
Mazdaspeed 3   03:16.0
Dodge Challenger SRT8   03:16.3
Lotus Elise SC   03:16.6
Infiniti G37S   03:17.5
Dodge Charger SRT8   03:18.2
Mazda RX-8   03:19.0
Subaru Impreza WRX STI   03:19.0
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged   03:20.6
Dodge Caliber SRT4   03:20.8
Ford Mustang GT   03:20.9
Volkswagen R32   03:21.8
Mini Cooper S   03:22.9
Honda Civic Si Mugen   03:24.8
Volkswagen GTI   03:25.1
Honda Civic Si   03:26.5
Volvo C30 Version 2.0   03:26.6
Mazda MX-5   03:29.3

I especially like how it's just 2 seconds off the pace of the 500HP GT500, but 7 seconds faster than the Ford Mustang GT.  It's also less than 2 seconds off the pace of the RS4, which supposedly does a 7:58 Ring time.

Holy crap.  I'm beginning to feel very foolish.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Well, you know.  I didn't know. 

Apparently, now I do. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on March 17, 2009, 01:13:42 PM
Um, the pic I posted was only from a couple weeks ago. They were probably waiting for proper transportation. Whether they are at the dealers or not is irrelevant to whether the cars were actually manufactured.

i would think it would be a "good faith effort" to get the cars out asap given they are a year behind already for the people that prepaid for them??
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on March 17, 2009, 04:30:12 PM
i would think it would be a "good faith effort" to get the cars out asap given they are a year behind already for the people that prepaid for them??

If you've prepaid for a car that hadn't had a release date then you're stupid, and the dealer needs to be fined for stealing people's money.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18053.msg1021393#msg1021393 date=1237326782
Holy crap.  I'm beginning to feel very foolish.
Why?  Because you bought a Jetta?

I know what my next car will be.  Cobalt SS Turbo or a Mustang GT...used of course.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 17, 2009, 04:54:38 PM

I know what my next car will be.  Cobalt SS Turbo or a Mustang GT...used of course.

I know at the time, I couldn't have afforded one.  MSRP is too high, and domestics lease so poorly, it would have been $500 a month.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

GM didn't start accepting orders until last October, so 6 mos?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on March 17, 2009, 05:01:17 PM
I know at the time, I couldn't have afforded one.  MSRP is too high, and domestics lease so poorly, it would have been $500 a month.

Then why do you think you made a foolish decision.  You worked within your constraints to get the best (non-Subaru) car you could find.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

I found the REAL answer to my question - those camaros posted in the lot were either not production or not completed...

PRODUCTION ON MONDAY, MARCH 16 - NEWS! Rick Hendrick to drive first one off line.
On Monday morning, March 16, the first regular retail production Camaro will be driven off the line by
Chevrolet dealer and NASCAR team owner Rick Hendrick. Rick Hendrick purchased this unit through the
recent Barrett-Jackson Auction for $350,000. All proceeds from his purchase went to benefits the
American Heart Association in their fight against heart disease and stroke.

Customers interested in being part of Camaro history have until this Sunday, March 15, 2009, to order a
2010 Camaro under the Early Ordering Activity. Customers who submit their order under this activity
receive a Camaro Welcome Kit, and a special factory processing option code (R6P) that will appear on
their window label and invoice. Sold orders received after this date will be considered part of the
normal ordering process and will not receive the special option code or welcome kit.

the Teuton

I bet the auto show cars came from that lot of cars we saw in the pictures.  This leaves me suspect of how much it will differ from the real production models.  But then, if Chevy didn't want people to judge the car based on a preproduction model, why did they bring unlocked Camaros to the auto show?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on March 17, 2009, 05:26:09 PM
Sold orders received after this date will be considered part of the
normal ordering process and will not receive the special option code or welcome kit. [/b]
:wtf:

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 17, 2009, 04:54:38 PM

Even though the Mustang is substantially slower around a track than the Cobalt?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: r0tor on March 17, 2009, 05:26:09 PM
I found the REAL answer to my question - those camaros posted in the lot were either not production or not completed...

PRODUCTION ON MONDAY, MARCH 16 - NEWS! Rick Hendrick to drive first one off line.
On Monday morning, March 16, the first regular retail production Camaro will be driven off the line by
Chevrolet dealer and NASCAR team owner Rick Hendrick. Rick Hendrick purchased this unit through the
recent Barrett-Jackson Auction for $350,000. All proceeds from his purchase went to benefits the
American Heart Association in their fight against heart disease and stroke.

Customers interested in being part of Camaro history have until this Sunday, March 15, 2009, to order a
2010 Camaro under the Early Ordering Activity. Customers who submit their order under this activity
receive a Camaro Welcome Kit, and a special factory processing option code (R6P) that will appear on
their window label and invoice. Sold orders received after this date will be considered part of the
normal ordering process and will not receive the special option code or welcome kit.

I think that the proceeds should have gone to support GM. GM is a non-profit organization.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on March 17, 2009, 05:07:07 PM
Then why do you think you made a foolish decision.  You worked within your constraints to get the best (non-Subaru) car you could find.

It's not really a foolish decision (all the Subarus in my price range were utter shit I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies, by the way), but it does make me wish I had more money. 

Mind you, I really do love my car, and love driving it, but that kind of power and speed would most certainly be intoxicating.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

camaro is a fatty

She's a bit to heavy for me, plus i prefer my 2 doors to be 2 seaters and more focused on performance.

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on March 17, 2009, 06:11:01 PM
Even though the Mustang is substantially slower around a track than the Cobalt?
:mask:

Yes.  The Mustang just has more character, personality, style, and soul.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Cobalt SS Supercharged that my parents have, but everything about the Mustang, including the cheap and expansive aftermarket, is just too much to pass up.  Unless there's a killer deal on a newer Cobalt SS Turbo.  I do want RWD in my next car though.  I do miss that.

sandertheshark

Forgive me for stating the obvious in a loud and angry voice, but

THE CAMARO IS A FUCKING MUSCLE CAR AND MUSCLE CARS ARE DESIGNED TO BLITZ 1/4 MILES, NOT GO AROUND THE CAROUSEL FASTER THAN AN M3

And given that, 8:19 is goddamned impressive.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: sandertheshark on March 17, 2009, 07:55:36 PM
Forgive me for stating the obvious in a loud and angry voice, but

THE CAMARO IS A FUCKING MUSCLE CAR AND MUSCLE CARS ARE DESIGNED TO BLITZ 1/4 MILES, NOT GO AROUND THE CAROUSEL FASTER THAN AN M3

And given that, 8:19 is goddamned impressive.

So basically it's like that cheap expired meat i bought at the store. It's meant to be eaten and shit out, the fact that i didn't puke after eating it is impressive.

GM, cheap shitty meat you can keep down! now with 5000 dollars in cash rebates.

sandertheshark

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2009, 07:57:17 PM
So basically it's like that cheap expired meat i bought at the store. It's meant to be eaten and shit out, the fact that i didn't puke after eating it is impressive.

GM, cheap shitty meat you can keep down! now with 5000 dollars in cash rebates.

I'm having trouble following your logic.

Excuse the understatement, let me rephrase that.

I'd need Evel Knievel's rocket bike to follow that leap of logic.

FlatBlackCaddy