Camaro SS prototype lapped ?Ring in 8:19

Started by SVT666, March 16, 2009, 09:25:33 PM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FlatBlackCaddy

they do, flat black is overrated and played out.

i've never seen a caddy(production) that i like.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2009, 08:07:01 PM
they do, flat black is overrated and played out.

i've never seen a caddy(production) that i like.

oh, flat black is cool, and so are caddies. it's just the flat black caddies that suck.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: NACar on March 17, 2009, 08:13:17 PM
oh, flat black is cool, and so are caddies. it's just the flat black caddies that suck.

does your weiner hurt because i made fun of the fatty camaro

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2009, 08:14:26 PM
does your weiner hurt because i made fun of the fatty camaro

no, my weiner hurts because your mom forgot to take her teeth out

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: NACar on March 17, 2009, 08:20:37 PM
no, my weiner hurts because your mom forgot to take her teeth out

ahh, that wasn't my mom that was my neighbor who likes to dress up in drag.

I'm sure you will get alot better looking guys when you get a brand spanking new camaro.

Vinsanity

Quote from: NACar on March 17, 2009, 08:13:17 PM

my next car will be a satin black 2009+ CTS-V. Suck that.

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 17, 2009, 07:54:43 PM
:mask:

Yes.  The Mustang just has more character, personality, style, and soul.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Cobalt SS Supercharged that my parents have, but everything about the Mustang, including the cheap and expansive aftermarket, is just too much to pass up.  Unless there's a killer deal on a newer Cobalt SS Turbo.  I do want RWD in my next car though.  I do miss that.

Oh I definitely agree with you. My point was that it is awfully hypocritical to act like its a huge deal that the Camaro SS is only 3 seconds faster around a huge track than the Cobalt when the Mustang is 8 seconds slower around a short track.

S204STi

Eye of the Tiger

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on March 17, 2009, 08:48:50 PM
Oh I definitely agree with you. My point was that it is awfully hypocritical to act like its a huge deal that the Camaro SS is only 3 seconds faster around a huge track than the Cobalt when the Mustang is 8 seconds slower around a short track.
I'm not being hypocritical.  The Mustang isn't built by Chevy.  Both the Cobalt SS and the Camaro SS are.  The Camaro has 162 more horsepower, 148 lb-ft of additional TQ, is RWD, has a 6 speed manual, IRS, costs over $7000 more, and is supposed to be their performance champ behind the Corvette.  If Ford built an SVT Focus that is virtually as fast as the GT500, I would be saying there needs to be a bigger performance gap between the two.

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 17, 2009, 11:06:53 PM
I'm not being hypocritical.  The Mustang isn't built by Chevy.  Both the Cobalt SS and the Camaro SS are.  The Camaro has 162 more horsepower, 148 lb-ft of additional TQ, is RWD, has a 6 speed manual, IRS, costs over $7000 more, and is supposed to be their performance champ behind the Corvette.  If Ford built an SVT Focus that is virtually as fast as the GT500, I would be saying there needs to be a bigger performance gap between the two.

Yes you are. The brand doesn't matter, if a track time is indicative of performance than the Cobalt absolutely destroys the Mustang, despite being down on power and FWD while the Camaro is faster than the Cobalt. Yet somehow it isn't good enough that the Camaro is significantly faster than its competition and is faster than the cars below it in the line-up, it has to be significantly faster than everything.

You're just looking for another excuse to bash what you know is the superior car.

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on March 17, 2009, 06:37:27 PM
It's not really a foolish decision (all the Subarus in my price range were utter shit I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies, by the way), but it does make me wish I had more money. 

Mind you, I really do love my car, and love driving it, but that kind of power and speed would most certainly be intoxicating.

Umm get a programmer and i'm pretty sure your car will run low low 14's or high 13's in the quarter mile for a couple hundred bucks...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on March 18, 2009, 06:45:16 AM
Yes you are. The brand doesn't matter, if a track time is indicative of performance than the Cobalt absolutely destroys the Mustang, despite being down on power and FWD while the Camaro is faster than the Cobalt. Yet somehow it isn't good enough that the Camaro is significantly faster than its competition and is faster than the cars below it in the line-up, it has to be significantly faster than everything.
The Mustang has 45 more hp and weighs 600 lbs more then the Cobalt.  That's enough for the power to not make much of a difference, and the Cobalt SS (and Camaro SS for that matter) suspension and chassis was setup at the Ring, whereas the Mustang's was not.  The 2010 Mustang GT is a whole different story though what with skidpad numbers in the 0.92-0.95 range, it could probably hang with the Cobalt SS on a track now, but it probably still won't beat it considering the power to weight advantage of the Cobalt.

QuoteYou're just looking for another excuse to bash what you know is the superior car.
No, actually nobody knows that yet.  The car hasn't been compared to anything yet, so how could I know that? 

Now, I have a question for you.  Which Mustang should be compared to the Camaro SS?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2009, 07:43:44 PM
camaro is a fatty

She's a bit to heavy for me, plus i prefer my 2 doors to be 2 seaters and more focused on performance.
Z51 Vette?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: TBR on March 18, 2009, 06:45:16 AM

You're just looking for another excuse to bash what you know is the superior car.

That's what I'm seeing.

No matter what anyone says, 422 hp, IRS and 6sp MT for $31K is a significant feat.

Nethead

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2009, 11:34:12 AM
That's what I'm seeing.

No matter what anyone says, 422 hp, IRS and 6sp MT for $31K is a significant feat.

GoCougs:  Share with us which dealership you went to, wrote a check for $31,000, and drove away in a fully-paid-for new Camaro with "422 hp, IRS and 6sp MT"?

Well?
So many stairs...so little time...

GoCougs

Quote from: Nethead on March 18, 2009, 11:49:27 AM
GoCougs:  Share with us which dealership you went to, wrote a check for $31,000, and drove away in a fully-paid-for new Camaro with "422 hp, IRS and 6sp MT"?

Well?

wat - never said anything about having bought one...

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2009, 11:34:12 AM
That's what I'm seeing.

Is that how much it's going to cost? 

Jeeeezus.  It makes the Genesis look overpriced.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 17, 2009, 11:06:53 PM

RWD does little difference. Just because the Cobalt is faster doesn't mean that the Cobalt and Camaro are comparable.

And I seriously doubt that the Mustang GT is able to handle the Cobalt on the track.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on March 18, 2009, 12:09:15 PM
Is that how much it's going to cost? 

Jeeeezus.  It makes the Genesis look overpriced.

GM announcement for 2010 Camaro MSRP: $22,995 for the V6 LS and $30,995 for the V8 SS.

2o6

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on March 18, 2009, 12:17:26 PM
Wow, that is really cheap.

People keep knocking it in a vacuum; I fully expect that when tested there'll be some stink about cheapness, lack of refinement and whatnot, but there's simply no arguing with the game-changing value proposition.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2009, 12:29:53 PM
People keep knocking it in a vacuum; I fully expect that when tested there'll be some stink about cheapness, lack of refinement and whatnot, but there's simply no arguing with the game-changing value proposition.
The same crap they bash the Corvette about!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Nethead on March 18, 2009, 11:49:27 AM

Well?

You know damn well what he means!  :nutty:

GoCougs

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on March 18, 2009, 12:33:01 PM
The same crap they bash the Corvette about!

True, and I have to be honest that I've been one of them (much of it in jest), but the Corvette is a rare bird in that it doesn't have any direct competitors in terms of MSRP, and competitors in terms of performance are much more $$$ (contributing to that kind of criticism).

The Camaro at that MSRP will have two direct competitors in the Mustang and the Challenger, plus a lot of not-exactly-competition from the Accord Coupe V6, to the Genesis Coupe V6 to the G37C - and yet still nothing touches the value proposition. It's quite amazing IMO.

SVT666

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2009, 12:16:02 PM
GM announcement for 2010 Camaro MSRP: $22,995 for the V6 LS and $30,995 for the V8 SS.
That's a hell of a deal.  If it didn't look like ass, it's a car I would look at in the future.  Well, I'll just have to wait for the Coyote V8 Mustang (might be a while, but I'll wait).

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 18, 2009, 09:08:28 AM
Now, I have a question for you.  Which Mustang should be compared to the Camaro SS?

The one that is a V8 muscle car and is similarly priced.

I just find it ridiculous that you are willing to condemn the Camaro SS based on a track test of a pre-production version of the car considering how little we know:
1. The weather conditions
2. The driver
3. How hard it was being driven
4. If the suspension settings were finalized
5. If the engine tuning was finalized.

Despite all of these unknowns that could adversely effect the Camaro's performance, it still outperformed the Cobalt, a car which drastically out performed the previous Mustang which was not substantially changed as far as I know (though, the better tires and better tuning could be a big difference).

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 18, 2009, 12:55:33 PM
That's a hell of a deal.  If it didn't look like ass, it's a car I would look at in the future.  Well, I'll just have to wait for the Coyote V8 Mustang (might be a while, but I'll wait).

It doesn't look any worse than a Mustang or a Challenger.  Although the interior looks like ass.