dealership stickers

Started by MaxPower, August 09, 2005, 06:08:09 PM

MaxPower

How do you get a dealer's advertisment sticker off the back of  your car without doing damage?  I'm talking about the little stickers with the dealership name and city.  The sticker on the back of my truck is annoying me and I would like to get it off.  

I've heard that heating the sitcker up with a hair dryer is the way to go, then peeling it.  I know not to use a razor blade on the paint, I'm sure it would scratch it and take paint with the sticker.  This sticker looks to be a thick paper sticker, not a plastic cut-out logo or thin bumper sticker paper.

Thanks.

Raghavan

QuoteHow do you get a dealer's advertisment sticker off the back of  your car without doing damage?  I'm talking about the little stickers with the dealership name and city.  The sticker on the back of my truck is annoying me and I would like to get it off.  

I've heard that heating the sitcker up with a hair dryer is the way to go, then peeling it.  I know not to use a razor blade on the paint, I'm sure it would scratch it and take paint with the sticker.  This sticker looks to be a thick paper sticker, not a plastic cut-out logo or thin bumper sticker paper.

Thanks.
why not just stick another bumper sticker on it?

footoflead

Umm...You could try this stuff, Link 1

If you try it out, let me know well it works, griotsgarage is supposed to have some great stuff B)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MaxPower

QuoteHow do you get a dealer's advertisment sticker off the back of  your car without doing damage?  I'm talking about the little stickers with the dealership name and city.  The sticker on the back of my truck is annoying me and I would like to get it off. 

I've heard that heating the sitcker up with a hair dryer is the way to go, then peeling it.  I know not to use a razor blade on the paint, I'm sure it would scratch it and take paint with the sticker.  This sticker looks to be a thick paper sticker, not a plastic cut-out logo or thin bumper sticker paper.

Thanks.
that's the back-up plan!  but i want to try to get it off first

Raza

QuoteHow do you get a dealer's advertisment sticker off the back of  your car without doing damage?  I'm talking about the little stickers with the dealership name and city.  The sticker on the back of my truck is annoying me and I would like to get it off. 

I've heard that heating the sitcker up with a hair dryer is the way to go, then peeling it.  I know not to use a razor blade on the paint, I'm sure it would scratch it and take paint with the sticker.  This sticker looks to be a thick paper sticker, not a plastic cut-out logo or thin bumper sticker paper.

Thanks.
that's the back-up plan!  but i want to try to get it off first
Back up plan should be to just leave it.  It's annoying, I know (I had a badge on my E class), but when I buy a car, I specify no stickers.  I got a license plate frame on the VW.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

Get you a can of adhesive remover, put it on a rag and rub it over the top of the sticker.  The sticker will start to melt and come off, it doesn't hurt the clearcoat either.  I've always used it on new motorcycles that have warning lables all over painted areas.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

footoflead

QuoteGet you a can of adhesive remover, put it on a rag and rub it over the top of the sticker.  The sticker will start to melt and come off, it doesn't hurt the clearcoat either.  I've always used it on new motorcycles that have warning lables all over painted areas.
:praise: Thats basically what i suggested...i even showed you a decent remover  to use
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

Goo Gone is good stuff too.

280Z Turbo

What makes them think they can stick their crap on your new car anyway?

Speed_Racer

Just specify no stickers when you buy the car. If they refuse, go somewhere else. I know its kind of for advertising, but they already have your business, and why should they advertise on your car?

I've heard of people threaten to charge the dealership advertising fees if they didn't remove their stickers.

I think you could also specify to not have dealer prep. That means you get the car just like it come off the truck. You get the plastic seat covers, warning cards, and other stuff.

Raza

QuoteJust specify no stickers when you buy the car. If they refuse, go somewhere else. I know its kind of for advertising, but they already have your business, and why should they advertise on your car?

I've heard of people threaten to charge the dealership advertising fees if they didn't remove their stickers.

I think you could also specify to not have dealer prep. That means you get the car just like it come off the truck. You get the plastic seat covers, warning cards, and other stuff.
Many of the warning cards have to stay in the car no matter what.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

Warning cards are for liability, dealershp stickers and plate surrounds are advertising.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raza

QuoteWarning cards are for liability, dealershp stickers and plate surrounds are advertising.
Yup.

Go buy a .45 and dispense some justice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Secret Chimp

I wouldn't mind having a dealer thing on the hatch of my car instead of just a license plate holder, but then again we like the dealership =P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

JWC

QuoteJust specify no stickers when you buy the car. If they refuse, go somewhere else. I know its kind of for advertising, but they already have your business, and why should they advertise on your car?

I would highly recommend  that you request dealer prep.  I've had several cars come in without coolant, loose wheels, etc.

Besides, the dealer gets paid to prep and road test the vehicle before delivery.  During the road test, we look for rattles, vibrations, steering pull etc. All that is repaired before it hits the line.  Also, some vehicles are delivered without wheel covers and antennas installed.

As for dealer stickers. They are made to peel right off without damaging the paint. We just take decals off of trade-ins with our fingernails.  Emblem style nameplates will pull right off and then use a light solvent to remove the glue.

Speed_Racer

Hey, thanks JWC. I didn't fully know what occured during a "dealer prep." Can you specify that certain things are left alone? Like the original warning tags that come from the factory. Those could be worth something if you are purchasing a future collectable.

VTEC_Inside

Haven't had to do it myself, but at least one of the cars my dad bought new had a dealer "sticker" on it. I'm pretty sure he just soaked it with hot water and a sponge until it softened up and became easy to peel off.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

JWC

QuoteHey, thanks JWC. I didn't fully know what occured during a "dealer prep." Can you specify that certain things are left alone? Like the original warning tags that come from the factory. Those could be worth something if you are purchasing a future collectable.
You can, but usually this has to be done with special orders.

It also varies dealer-to-dealer. At my current dealership, plastic protectors on the carpeting is left for the customer to remove, though they are printed with "dealer to remove".  The plastic on the seats and steering wheel is removed. I get cars in frequently that have over 50k on the odometers where this plastic was never removed by the customer.  

North Carolina doesn't require a front tag on a vehicle. At my last dealership, the option of drillling into the front facia and installing a license plate bracket was left up to the customer. We just left the bracket  untouched  in the trunk. At my current dealership, it is installed automatically and a metal dealer license plate is installed. Special orders are the exception, when the customer specifies no front tag. I've only seen this on Mustangs so far.

Tags marked "customer removal only" are left on the vehicle. Most are warning tags and are required to be present, like tags on a mattress.

Raza

I hate front license plate brackets.  We almost bought a car from a high end used car dealer, and they put their dealer plates on the front, and we wouldn't have it.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Why didn't you just take it back off? :rolleyes:

Raza

QuoteWhy didn't you just take it back off? :rolleyes:
It's not like it was the deal breaker--we just didn't buy the car.  But had we bought it, we would have asked them to remove it before we took delivery.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

I see, it sounded exactly like the license plate bracket was a deal breaker.

"The car had a front license plate bracket, we wouldn't have it."  

Raza

QuoteI see, it sounded exactly like the license plate bracket was a deal breaker.

"The car had a front license plate bracket, we wouldn't have it."
I know it sounded that way, but I was just feeling too lazy to explain it fully.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JWC

What pisses me off with front brackets is that many are "permanently" mounted. Meaning, the front bumper cover has to be drilled through to mount the bracket. Simply removing the bracket leaves 2-4 gaping holes in the front facia.