1999 Grand Voyager Problem

Started by 2o6, March 21, 2009, 02:26:56 PM

sportyaccordy

2o6

Update: Got the brakes un-seized, found the coolant leak.

It's a hose that's coming back from the engine to the coolant reservoir. Dealership says it's a $600 fix. However, my dad didn't bring the car in, he just told them what was wrong.

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on July 06, 2009, 03:31:36 PM
Update: Got the brakes un-seized, found the coolant leak.

It's a hose that's coming back from the engine to the coolant reservoir. Dealership says it's a $600 fix. However, my dad didn't bring the car in, he just told them what was wrong.

Well it must be a common problem. 

SVT_Power

can't just get some coolant hoses and clamps to fix it yourself?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 06, 2009, 04:16:54 PM

Not if you're like 2o6

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Hoses are likely $30 or less.
Some cursing, wrenching, and a Big Frakkin Hammer would get it done in a few hours.
Will

2o6

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 06, 2009, 04:16:54 PM

It's actually a metal rail, and it's corroded. The hose leads into the back of the engine. It's a pain to get to.

Quote from: R-inge on July 06, 2009, 03:52:11 PM
Well it must be a common problem. 

And he's trying to get our money.

Really, the price is almost entirely labor.

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on July 06, 2009, 10:40:38 PM
It's actually a metal rail, and it's corroded. The hose leads into the back of the engine. It's a pain to get to.

And he's trying to get our money.

Really, the price is almost entirely labor.

Those coolant crossover thingies can be hard to get at in a minivan.  Half of it you can't even see.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on July 07, 2009, 02:55:43 PM
I don't want this.

Builds character. :lol:

Under the hood of those things is a NIGHTMARE.

BTW if you ever need to change the serpentine belt tensioner, DO NOT waste a half-hour removing the alternator. Just get a socket w/ some extensions and a joint, reach up from under the van and undo one nut. Remove the tensioner, put the new one on, and might as well waste another half-hour putting the alternator back on...     :banghead:
Will

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 07, 2009, 07:45:27 PM
Builds character. :lol:

BTW if you ever need to change the serpentine belt tensioner, DO NOT waste a half-hour removing the alternator. Just get a socket w/ some extensions and a joint, reach up from under the van and undo one nut. Remove the tensioner, put the new one on, and might as well waste another half-hour putting the alternator back on...     :banghead:

We also have the 3.8L, so there isn't much room in that engine bay.

2o6

Fixed. Was a simple hose leak under the car.

A guy walking down the street was able to fix it.

SVT_Power

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 07, 2009, 07:45:27 PM

better than my car probably
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Pirate

Quote from: 2o6 on July 08, 2009, 01:55:26 PM
Fixed. Was a simple hose leak under the car.

A guy walking down the street was able to fix it.

That's a bit odd.  You just flag him down off the street, or what?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

2o6

Quote from: The Pirate on July 08, 2009, 04:47:08 PM
That's a bit odd.  You just flag him down off the street, or what?

I have no clue how it happened. He was walking down the street, and next thing I know is he's working (and fixed) the van.

The large leak on the bottom is fixed, but there's still a smaller, slower leak where we can't see.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on July 08, 2009, 06:37:14 PM
I have no clue how it happened. He was walking down the street, and next thing I know is he's working (and fixed) the van.

The large leak on the bottom is fixed, but there's still a smaller, slower leak where we can't see.
You live in an odd city.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on July 08, 2009, 06:46:43 PM
You live in an odd city.

My dad paid him. It saved him a whole lotta money.

AutobahnSHO

Will

S204STi

Nice, well that goes to show how worthless over the phone diag can be.  I hate it when my service advisors do that stuff.

SVT_Power

depends where you look and who you ask but I've had pretty good luck in terms of getting diagnoses without them ever taking anything apart

AutobahnSHO

I had a guy diagnose the waterpump in an old Honda just from my description of the sound and whether it changed when I revved it or not.

Good mechanics are getting harder to find in the world of "what does the computer say"...
Will