The Cussler Collectionl

Started by Byteme, March 23, 2009, 07:19:02 AM

Byteme

Jguar Clubs of North America held their Annual General Meeting in Denver this year. One of the highlights was a tour of the Clive Cussler automobile collection.

Click on the below link. 

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=yro17mr.bwi87x17&x=0&y=-3wwzml&localeid=en_US&cm_mmc=site_email-_-site_share-_-core-_-view_photos_button

Click on the small image on the right (man on the bathtub is the first one) to view the next picture.

the Teuton

I sometimes wonder why hood ornaments have generally gone the way of the dodo bird.  They're so cool.

Thanks for sharing the album.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

J86

FoMoJo

He's got a nice collection.  I've seen him a couple of times on the "Classic Car" show with a couple of his cars on the road.  His collection seems to reflect much of Dirk Pitt's.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

Quote from: J86 on March 23, 2009, 11:28:27 AM
Pedestrian safety laws?

Then how do you explain the Mercedes star and the Rolls Royce Emily?

I think most car companies don't use them because of theft. I've heard that the Mercedes star is one of the most stolen objects, to the point that Mercedes actually designs the thing to rip off without causing excessive damage and that is designed to be cheap and easy to repair.

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 23, 2009, 12:13:01 PM
He's got a nice collection.  I've seen him a couple of times on the "Classic Car" show with a couple of his cars on the road.  His collection seems to reflect much of Dirk Pitt's.

I think Dirk Pitt is Cussler's alter ego.

Just about every Dirk Pitt novel I've read has Pitt driving one of the automobiles from Cussler's collection.  Typically the car featured in the story along with Cussler, and recently Clive's son Dirk Cussler, pose in a photograph on the back cover.

FoMoJo

Doesn't RR have theirs flip over when the car is turned off?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Byteme

Quote from: Galaxy on March 23, 2009, 12:31:59 PM
Then how do you explain the Mercedes star and the Rolls Royce Emily?

I think most car companies don't use them because of theft. I've heard that the Mercedes star is one of the most stolen objects, to the point that Mercedes actually designs the thing to rip off without causing excessive damage and that is designed to be cheap and easy to repair.

Safety laws caused most of the hood ornements or "mascots" to be deleted.  I think this was the same law that caused cars like Jaguar to abandon eared knock offs on the wheels as a danger to pedestrians.  That's why Mercedes had a srping loaded star; when the driver ran down a jaywalker the poor guy wouldn't be felled by the star. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: Byteme on March 23, 2009, 12:53:15 PM
Safety laws caused most of the hood ornements or "mascots" to be deleted.  I think this was the same law that caused cars like Jaguar to abandon eared knock offs on the wheels as a danger to pedestrians.  That's why Mercedes had a srping loaded star; when the driver ran down a jaywalker the poor guy wouldn't be felled by the star. 

Wouldn't it just break off anyways?

Galaxy

The Mercedes star is the perfect example that you can have hood ornement with a bit of effort.

NomisR

Would be cool to have the Maserati Trident sticking straight up from the hood of a car though.  Impale pedestrians on them. 

Byteme

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 23, 2009, 12:57:48 PM
Wouldn't it just break off anyways?

Well yes, but it would do more damange before it did.  Personally I always thought this particular bit of safety legislation was going too far.  I mean, how many have died, impailed on a RR winged victory or were sliced up by the knockoffs on an E-type?

hotrodalex

Quote from: NomisR on March 23, 2009, 12:58:23 PM
Would be cool to have the Maserati Trident sticking straight up from the hood of a car though.  Impale pedestrians on them. 

#74 in the slideshow is kinda like that.

Galaxy

Quote from: NomisR on March 23, 2009, 12:58:23 PM

I see your Maserati Trident and raise you a  Piccard-Pictet hummingbird.

:devil:

Edit: The forum is destroying my picture by adding stuff to the tag.
Edit: It was the host. Picture rehosted.

cawimmer430

I occasionally read a Cussler book, but most of them are a little "childish" for my tastes.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sandertheshark

sandertheshark

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 23, 2009, 12:13:01 PM

Apparently almost all of Dirk Pitt's cars in the books were written in when they were recent additions to Cussler's garage.

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 23, 2009, 02:24:21 PM
I occasionally read a Cussler book, but most of them are a little "childish" for my tastes.

It's good for what it is; Escapism fiction.  I recall reading somewhere an interview of Cussler in which it was stated that he didn't really do any rewrites.  What you read were essentially his first and only draft.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Byteme on March 24, 2009, 07:16:22 AM
It's good for what it is; Escapism fiction.  I recall reading somewhere an interview of Cussler in which it was stated that he didn't really do any rewrites.  What you read were essentially his first and only draft.
Judging by his output, he doesn't have time for rewrites.  I agree on the escapism fiction.  I'd avoided his novels for some time; until I'd been pressed to get something to read and picked up one of his novels at a used book store; "Treasure".  It was better than I thought regarding the literary aspect and I found the storyline to be quite intriguing.  I think it's quite clever how he relates a historical event to Pitt's most recent adventure.  However, much literary license must be given to enjoy his fiction.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Byteme on March 24, 2009, 07:16:22 AM

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally enjoy a book of his but this style is a little "too positive". I prefer reality fiction writers like Lee Child or Barry Eisler for example with their respective Jack Reacher / John Rain characters. Do you know these authors and have you read their works?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 24, 2009, 09:16:47 AM
Don't get me wrong, I occasionally enjoy a book of his but this style is a little "too positive". I prefer reality fiction writers like Lee Child or Barry Eisler for example with their respective Jack Reacher / John Rain characters. Do you know these authors and have you read their works?

No, I pretty much concentrat on histories, biographies, technical-scientific-historical works (like "Off the Map" a history of cartography) and light fiction like Cussler's stuff.

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 24, 2009, 09:16:47 AM
I think Cussler's fiction is a good antidote to what is happening these days.  You can always count on a positive ending.  Although I really enjoy the likes of John LaCarre, et al, where there is such murky and opaque feel to the characters and storyline, they are often (always) depressing. 

Colin

Thanks for bringing this collection to my attention....... I have vacation in June, and will be flying into Denver airport. Guess where I just added to the itinerary!