Lamborghini cancels Estoque

Started by SVT666, March 23, 2009, 09:13:32 AM

SVT666

Lamborghini cancels Estoque production plans 

In past times, the Lamborghini Estoque would have sailed from concept to production without hesitation. After all, the car received a very positive reception from the motoring press and general public. Yet it will likely never see production. In the midst of a brutal recession, Lamborghini has cancelled plans to build the Estoque.

?The timing and market conditions are just not right for an additional model line,? research and development boss Maurizio Reggiani told Autocar.

The company spent a large sum of money developing the concept, but work on the production version was at a very early stage, so the financial loss is far less than is typical for such a cancellation. Honda?s axing of its new NSX, for example, likely resulted in a much larger loss.

The Estoque was to be priced around $200,000 and limited to 3,000 units per year.

Reggiani also told the magazine Lamborghini regards dual-clutch automated transmissions as ?too smooth? and lacking a ?sense of occasion and drama.? He said Lamborghini?s e-gear system ? essentially a six-speed manual with a computer controlled clutch ? offers the right experience for Lambo customers.

Raza

I'm with him on the DCT, but I don't think an ACT's roughness makes it anything other than annoying, not dramatic.  I'll take three pedals, and if I want an automatic, I'll take a DCT.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Lamborghini responds to Estoque rumors

Reports surfaced just yesterday that Lamborghini had cancelled its Estoque production plans, but those rumors may not have been well-founded. Lamborghini responded to those reports on Monday, saying the Estoque had not been completely ruled out for production.

Lamborghini?s press release didn?t confirm the Estoque program had been green lighted, but also said the program hadn?t been killed.
?In reference to recent press coverage commenting on cancellation of its Estoque project, Lamborghini has not taken any decision to produce its Estoque concept car, the four door performance saloon concept shown at Paris motor show in 2008,? the Italian automaker said in a press release.

Lamborghini added that the Estoque would be a logical third model for the company, sound it sounds as if the Estoque has a chance of production once the global economy improves.