Autoweek review: Tata Nano

Started by ifcar, March 24, 2009, 04:53:18 AM

Morris Minor

I think this is great for providing affordable transportation for people in Third World countries - we should not judge it by the standards of prosperous western economies.

The Nano concept would have strike a chord with those who brought the Citroen 2CV into production in the late 1940s - simple - cheap & unpretentious.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Galaxy

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 24, 2009, 06:23:20 AM
I think this is great for providing affordable transportation for people in Third World countries - we should not judge it by the standards of prosperous western economies.

The Nano concept would have strike a chord with those who brought the Citroen 2CV into production in the late 1940s - simple - cheap & unpretentious.

The difference is that the 2CV has personality, the designers obviously took some kind of pride in their work, they did not mind that they are working on basic transportation.  The Nano looks like the design team wanted to get the project behind them as fast as possible.

ifcar

Quote from: Galaxy on March 24, 2009, 06:45:22 AM
The difference is that the 2CV has personality, the designers obviously took some kind of pride in their work, they did not mind that they are working on basic transportation.  The Nano looks like the design team wanted to get the project behind them as fast as possible.

How do you figure? What gives the 2CV personality that the Nano lacks, and what would give you the idea that Tata's engineers don't take pride in their work?

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on March 24, 2009, 06:48:01 AM
How do you figure? What gives the 2CV personality that the Nano lacks, and what would give you the idea that Tata's engineers don't take pride in their work?

Reminds me a lot of the mythical Cyclops car Road and Track wrote about for years.

I think this is a heck of a great concept.  I'd seriously consider the "Americanized" version described in the last paragraph.  Heck of a getting-around-town car.  Who needs a Tahoe to go two miles down the street to the grocery store?

2o6

Why, because the 2CV is french? I think the Nano is every bit as characterful as the original 2CV.

Besides, I think the Nano Europa (for EU and possibly US markets) is actually quite attractive.

ifcar

Quote from: Byteme on March 24, 2009, 07:25:18 AM

Reminds me a lot of the mythical Cyclops car Road and Track wrote about for years.

I think this is a heck of a great concept.  I'd seriously consider the "Americanized" version described in the last paragraph.  Heck of a getting-around-town car.  Who needs a Tahoe to go two miles down the street to the grocery store?

Or to Home Depot? All we really need is a Jaguar, right?

Galaxy

The version 206 posted above does look markedly better. I still it looks like something that the CW calculations spit out rather then what a designer would want it to look like. The 2CV and Beetle somehow look more charming imo.

Cookie Monster

I really like that Nano Europa and wouldn't mind getting one here.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Perhaps that's because you are looking at the 2CV and the Beetle through a nostalgic lens. Even the blandest designs from the 60's that were considered bland (Falcon?) manage to look cool and retro today.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on March 24, 2009, 07:26:59 AM

Why, because the 2CV is french? I think the Nano is every bit as characterful as the original 2CV.

Besides, I think the Nano Europa (for EU and possibly US markets) is actually quite attractive.

That looks much better then the Smart.  If it was $5K or less, I would consider it for a runabout.

the Teuton

Chrysler had the idea way before Tata, but as they say the world doesn't run on concept cars.

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2009, 12:59:30 PM
Chrysler had the idea way before Tata, but as they say the world doesn't run on concept cars.

Now THAT is a 2CV ripoff. It even has the mismatching roof color. HOly shit.

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 24, 2009, 12:58:34 PM
That looks much better then the Smart.  If it was $5K or less, I would consider it for a runabout.

I dunno. If I just wanted a runabout, I'm sure I could find a good NA Miata for $5,000.

ChrisV

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2009, 01:17:37 PM
I dunno. If I just wanted a runabout, I'm sure I could find a good NA Miata for $5,000.

Yeah, but that wouldn't have a waranty, for the average person who doesn't/can't work on their own cars.

I prefer a used car, 'cause I can work on them. But I understand those that can't.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on March 24, 2009, 01:38:39 PM
Yeah, but that wouldn't have a waranty, for the average person who doesn't/can't work on their own cars.

I prefer a used car, 'cause I can work on them. But I understand those that can't.

The Nano comes with what, an 18-month, 15,000 mile warranty? Give me the car that I can drive on the freeway any day.

280Z Turbo

The 2CV's personality was that it was a piece of shit.

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on March 24, 2009, 12:12:27 PM
Perhaps that's because you are looking at the 2CV and the Beetle through a nostalgic lens. Even the blandest designs from the 60's that were considered bland (Falcon?) manage to look cool and retro today.

That may be true.

Laconian

blandest designs that were considered bland

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on March 24, 2009, 01:10:12 PM
Now THAT is a 2CV ripoff. It even has the mismatching roof color. HOly shit.

Homage. It's the Chrysler CCV concept, that used a neat idea (plastic for panels, and frame, strong and fully recyclable) and the design was also to pay homage to the Citroen 2CV.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 24, 2009, 03:21:21 PM
The 2CV's personality was that it was a piece of shit.

But it wasn't.........

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2009, 02:57:46 PM
The Nano comes with what, an 18-month, 15,000 mile warranty? Give me the car that I can drive on the freeway any day.

The nano Europa has a top speed of 95MPH, 5MPH faster than the fortwo.

Morris Minor

I owned a 2CV in the 80s and it was by no means a piece of shit. It's main strength was its suspension - a perfect design for the cratered road surfaces in France. It also seated 4 people in comfort, used hardly any fuel and had an unburstable little air cooled engine.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MX793

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2009, 02:57:46 PM

It would no doubt have a longer warranty if sold in the US.  Outside of the US, few companies offer warranties of more than 3 years, 2 seems to be the standard.  IIRC, BMW's warranties in Europe are 2 years (3 in the UK, with the caveat that the first 2 years are guaranteed with unlimited mileage, after that you're covered up to 1 year or when the car hits 60K miles, whichever comes first).  VW's standard manufacturer's warranty is only 2 years.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

lawl

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on March 24, 2009, 07:38:56 AM
Or to Home Depot? All we really need is a Jaguar, right?

Works for me.   :lol: