Opel Plans Sky-based Speedster Replacement

Started by BMWDave, August 10, 2005, 06:22:27 AM

BMWDave

From Lotus to?Saturn? Opel Plans Sky-based Speedster Replacement
Date Posted 08-09-2005

RUESSELSHEIM, Germany ? General Motors' Opel subsidiary here will partner with Saturn on a new two-seater aimed primarily at European enthusiasts. The successor to the Lotus-derived Speedster will be based on the upcoming Saturn Sky.

Opel phased out production of the Speedster in late July, according to Automotive News Europe. The original two-seater was introduced in 2000 and had a total production run of around 7,000 Speedsters.

The new model, which will be assembled in GM's plant in Wilmington, Delaware, will share components and perhaps some body panels with the 2007 Saturn Sky, which in turn is a sister model to the Pontiac Solstice. GM sources say Saab also may get a two-seater off the so-called Kappa platform.

GM executives have said Saturn and Opel will work more closely together in the future on product development.

The front-engine, rear-drive Speedster replacement may be called Opel GT, the name of the tiny sport coupe from the late '60s that resembled a scaled-down version of the Corvette.

What this means to you: Could Saturn get some world-wide buzz? If so, maybe you'll find yourself in one in a few years.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

autom?vel

QuoteThe new model, which will be assembled in GM's plant in Wilmington, Delaware, will share components and perhaps some body panels with the 2007 Saturn Sky, which in turn is a sister model to the Pontiac Solstice. GM sources say Saab also may get a two-seater off the so-called Kappa platform.

Every time I read something like that, I do a happy little hampster dance.  You heard me.   :lol:  
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

BMWDave

QuoteThe new model, which will be assembled in GM's plant in Wilmington, Delaware, will share components and perhaps some body panels with the 2007 Saturn Sky, which in turn is a sister model to the Pontiac Solstice. GM sources say Saab also may get a two-seater off the so-called Kappa platform.

Every time I read something like that, I do a happy little hampster dance.  You heard me.   :lol:
It would be very cool for Saab to have a Kappa platformed car.  With the new Sky, Miata, and Solstice, the small roadster segment is really getting invigorated.  I want to see triumph and MG roadsters again as well :)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...