2006 Jeep Commander Hits the Street

Started by BMWDave, August 10, 2005, 06:23:50 AM

BMWDave

2006 Jeep Commander Hits the Street
Date Posted 08-09-2005

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. ? As Jeep is poised to expand its portfolio with the addition of two new car-based crossovers, the brand is also rolling out its largest model to date ? the all-new 2006 Commander, which shares underpinnings with the Grand Cherokee.

Built in Detroit, the '06 Commander has three rows of seats, with accommodations for up to seven passengers. The Commander offers customers a choice of three full-time four-wheel-drive systems, two transfer cases and three engines, including a 5.7-liter Hemi V8.

The Commander also has a full complement of safety hardware, including standard side curtain airbags for all three rows and standard electronic stability program, electronic roll mitigation and electronic brake assist.

Chrysler designers drew on the Willys-Overland (built from 1946 to 1962), the original Wagoneer (1963-1991) and the Cherokee (1984-2001) for styling cues and inspiration. The Commander has a more upright stance and a boxier profile than the Grand Cherokee.

What this means to you: They say people don't like the big cars, but then they just keep building them bigger. Somebody must dig these rides.

The more I see this, the more I think it looks like the Cherokee of yore.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

And they apparently couldn't make it attractive this time around.  

Fire It Up

They better not make an SRT outta this. Otherwise we might start seeing SRT caravans in the future.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

crv16

QuoteAnd they apparently couldn't make it attractive this time around.
I think they are taking a cue from Honda - making it so ugly it's cute - ala Element.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

giant_mtb

Last-gen Cherokee styling with more cargo room, anyone?  <_<  

ifcar

QuoteAnd they apparently couldn't make it attractive this time around.
I think they are taking a cue from Honda - making it so ugly it's cute - ala Element.

But a giant SUV can't be "cute".

Raghavan

Am i the only one who thinks this doesn't look so bad?

giant_mtb

QuoteAm i the only one who thinks this doesn't look so bad?
Probably. ^_^

SVT_Power

QuoteThey better not make an SRT outta this. Otherwise we might start seeing SRT caravans in the future.
lol SRT caravans
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

crv16

How about this?

Without the long droopy headlights.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

Raghavan

QuoteHow about this?

that looks bettter, but maybe the back should styop being so boxy.

TBR

ifcar

QuoteHow about this?

The basic shape of the headlight looks rather apologetic to me (if that means anything), they need to be large, not angled, not oddly-shaped.

And something looks wrong about the roofline in that pic, like it's angled toward the rear.  

mazda6er

QuoteAm i the only one who thinks this doesn't look so bad?
I kinda like it too.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteI don't think it looks that bad.
Its not bad at all, its not ugly in any way...I think the way to describe the styling would be somewhat quirky.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

I saw it at the NYIAS and thought it looked pretty cool.  

Laconian

Pass. A complete lack of imagination on this one. They probably use the same tooling from the mid 90s Cherokee. :P

Where's that characteristic daring styling that we expect from DCX? Whyeven bother making something so snooze-inducing?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT