So, shortly my car may not be California legal

Started by ChrisV, March 26, 2009, 11:57:02 AM

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on March 26, 2009, 04:34:55 PM
Heating the car makes use of otherwise wasted heat, so you're making it more efficient.

Right, that was not 100% thought through.

However in my defence, many diesels have auxiliary heaters because the engines produce little waste heat.

Eye of the Tiger

They should quit beating around the bush and just ban A/C. And cars. Everyone gets a Segway.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on March 26, 2009, 04:38:08 PM
Right, that was not 100% thought through.

However in my defence, many diesels have auxiliary heaters because the engines produce little waste heat.

Block heaters?  Those are to keep the engine (more importantly the fuel system) warm when parked so that the parafin in the diesel doesn't solidify and turn the fuel to gel.  Diesels produce plenty of heat.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on March 26, 2009, 04:42:44 PM
Block heaters?  Those are to keep the engine (more importantly the fuel system) warm when parked so that the parafin in the diesel doesn't solidify and turn the fuel to gel.  Diesels produce plenty of heat.

Maybe the big diesels in commercial trucks produce enough heat. Most diesels for consumer cars use engine independent heaters because the things have gotten so efficient. VW uses electric furnaces from Webasto, unless one orders a preheat system then the heat is supplied by a diesel furnace.

Even the V10 TDI has one.

NomisR

Man, speaking of wasted heat.  Imagine if they can harness the wasted heat from the engines.. to.. I don't.. power something else?  Create Hydrogen even? 

Hmm.. Rotary Engine produces a lot of heat, Rotary engine can run on Hydrogen.
So you use the heat from the Rotary engine to create electricity to produce hydrogen.. so you can perpetually keep a car running by adding more water! 

SVT666

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it hotter then fuck in California for most of the year?  And don't people drive around with the A/C on no matter what colour the car is?  I know here in the Okanagan, most people use their A/C all summer no matter what they drive because it's so damn hot.

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on March 26, 2009, 04:33:53 PM
:huh:

If you didn't notice, I was trying to contrare the fact that Vinsanity said that he didn't think heat absorbed by the sheet metal would transfer to the interior.

Galaxy

Quote from: NomisR on March 26, 2009, 05:07:35 PM
Man, speaking of wasted heat.  Imagine if they can harness the wasted heat from the engines.. to.. I don't.. power something else?  Create Hydrogen even? 

So you use the heat from the Rotary engine to create electricity to produce hydrogen.. so you can perpetually keep a car running by adding more water! 

BMW is working on that.

NomisR

Quote from: Galaxy on March 26, 2009, 05:10:25 PM
BMW is working on that.

Yeah, but they're using a boinger engine.. I want a rotary!!

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 26, 2009, 05:08:23 PM
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it hotter then fuck in California for most of the year?  And don't people drive around with the A/C on no matter what colour the car is?  I know here in the Okanagan, most people use their A/C all summer no matter what they drive because it's so damn hot.

Their argument is that in a white car the AC will need to work less then in a black car. I doubt the difference is that big. Perhaps they should instead work on AC efficiency. A few years ago I read an artice on AC systems. I do not remember the details but there where great differences in fuel consumption.

Galaxy

Quote from: NomisR on March 26, 2009, 05:11:24 PM
Yeah, but they're using a boinger engine.. I want a rotary!!

Well that would work to. All the Turbosteamer does is use the exhaust heat to power a generator.

I think the secret mission is actually to conserve water, as black is such an impossible color to keep clean.

Honestly black looks awesome but I would go crazy trying to keep it clean and swirl free.

MX793

Quote from: NomisR on March 26, 2009, 05:07:35 PM

Perpetual motion machines defy the 2nd law.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

NomisR

Quote from: MX793 on March 26, 2009, 05:21:39 PM
Perpetual motion machines defy the 2nd law.

Well, you have to add water (fuel) so it's not a true perpetual motion machine.  It's just a really cheap fuel.

Tave

It isn't a real perpetual motion machine if you must continually add fuel (water) to the system.

Edit: Snaked! :lockedup:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

Quote from: NomisR on March 26, 2009, 05:24:11 PM
Well, you have to add water (fuel) so it's not a true perpetual motion machine.  It's just a really cheap fuel.

Problem is, it takes more electrical energy to split H2 from H2O than the energy that H2 releases when it oxidizes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Northlands

There seems to be a great amount of hot air coming out of Sacramento.

Ban that.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Galaxy

Quote from: NomisR on March 26, 2009, 05:24:11 PM

The water does not release energy though without energy being expended to release it.

NomisR

Quote from: MX793 on March 26, 2009, 05:33:51 PM
Problem is, it takes more electrical energy to split H2 from H2O than the energy that H2 releases when it oxidizes.
Quote from: Galaxy on March 26, 2009, 05:36:09 PM
The water does not release energy though without energy being expended to release it.

Yeah, but the engine cannot run purely on electricity.  So the heat is converted to electricity.  You have to use electricity for something that can be used by the engine.  What I can think of off the top of my head right now is H2 from H20.  So you yield H2 and consume it to produce heat and motion, and use the heat to generate electricity, which creates H2 from H20, rinse and repeat. 

And you can even harness the exhaust fuse from the H2 Rotary engine to reclaim the water. 

NomisR

But, since the engine is not 100% efficient, you'll still be using more H2 than created so you'll still have to add some H2 into the system, but it would be infinitely more efficient in theory than a pure H2 system.

Galaxy

Quote from: NomisR on March 26, 2009, 05:41:21 PM
But, since the engine is not 100% efficient, you'll still be using more H2 than created so you'll still have to add some H2 into the system, but it would be infinitely more efficient in theory than a pure H2 system.

Your just wasting energy to split the water.

What your saying is how the BMW steamster works except with steam not H2. The engine produces heat, the heat turns a liquid into steam, which drives a generator. You are still using energy, but the waste gets reduced.

Sorry that I was not more precise in the first post where I mentioned the Steamster.

sandertheshark

Nethead

Quote from: thecarnut on March 26, 2009, 12:24:01 PM
This is the hugest crock of BS I've ever heard.

Nope.  Black vehicles get hugely hot.  Decades ago, my late father had a black T-Bird with a black vinyl roof.  Hottest mutha on the planet!  Let it sit in the sun for thirty minutes on an August afternoon and the doors would whoosh outwards when you opened them.  In its defense, the car had A/C that had two positions:  "Off" and "Frostbitten Balls".  Coldest damned A/C on Earth. 

Whether or not this is a worthwhile regulation, it is nonetheless based upon factual observance.  And yes, the heat penetrates from the black finish on the exterior into the interior in short order, even with protective layers of insulation/sound deadener in between.  Tinted windows help, but they help regardless of the color of the exterior paint...
So many stairs...so little time...

hotrodalex

Yes, heat penetrates to the interior, but not that much. Believe me, I have cars with dark exteriors and light exteriors. The difference is not huge. And if it's hot enough to have the A/C on, I'll have it on the whole time anyway. So I won't save any energy by changing the exterior color.

ChrisV

If the AC is working harder, it'll pull more power from the engine, reducing fuel mileage. Especially climate control systems, vs just rotary dial ACs.

As mythbusters found, a black car can be up to 10 degrees hotter inside during regular use.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

hotrodalex

Quote from: ChrisV on March 27, 2009, 01:45:12 PM
If the AC is working harder, it'll pull more power from the engine, reducing fuel mileage. Especially climate control systems, vs just rotary dial ACs.

As mythbusters found, a black car can be up to 10 degrees hotter inside during regular use.

But it doesn't work harder, it would just work longer (for me, at least). But that's irrelevant since if it's hot, I'll just turn the A/C on and leave it on.

ChrisV

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 27, 2009, 01:49:07 PM
But it doesn't work harder, it would just work longer (for me, at least). But that's irrelevant since if it's hot, I'll just turn the A/C on and leave it on.

Climate control automatically adjusts to maintain a temperature. It's not like systems that you simply turn on or off. So if it's hotter inside the car, then it works harder to maintain a set temp than if it's cooler in the car.

in my car, for example, you set the temp you want the car to be at, not just low/high/max.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TBR

Quote from: ChrisV on March 27, 2009, 01:45:12 PM

Yeah, if you have regular A/C chances are you'll leave it on and just adjust the temperature/fan speeds (I don't, but then I am a cheap-ass) which I believe wouldn't change the load on the engine.

But, with a climate controlled car, the A/C will cut on and off automatically. So, obviously both manual A/C and black cars need to be banned.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 27, 2009, 01:49:07 PM

In theory, the greater the temperature difference (and higher the humidity, too) the harder the compressor works.

JWC

Quote from: GoCougs on March 27, 2009, 04:29:23 PM
In theory, the greater the temperature difference (and higher the humidity, too) the harder the compressor works.

A local tv station did an experiment a couple of summers ago, testing "A/C on" vs. "A/C off" and windows down and compared fuel mileage.   A car got better gas mileage with A/C on and windows up...past 45-50 mph.  The car was more aerodynamic with the windows up.  At lower speeds, the mileage got better with a/c off and the windows down.