Test Drive: 2005 Acura RL Type SH

Started by BMWDave, August 10, 2005, 06:34:29 AM

BMWDave

Link

Test Drive:
2005 Acura RL Type SH
Review and photos by Russell Purcell

The Acura RL is all-new for the 2005 model year, and its transformation from a plain-Jane sleeper to a feature-laden flagship is good news for premium sedan buyers.

I always enjoyed my time behind the wheel of the previous iteration of the RL as it was a competent and comfortable car - albeit in a rather mundane skin. If the outgoing car was a tasty bowl of vanilla ice cream, this new model is a super-sized sundae with all the toppings and a cherry on top. I had people flag me down to check out my Nighthawk Black Pearl test car's sultry curves, buttery leather and high-tech toys.

The shape is all Acura, with hints of the aerodynamic CL coupes of the past mixed in with cues from the current TSX and TL brethren. The car is now almost four inches shorter in overall length than the old model and the wheelbase has shrunk in by a similar amount. This, along with the use of lighter weight aluminum and steel, has given the car a more nimble and sporty feel. On the inside, things couldn't be better, as the interior has grown to be even more occupant friendly. The cabin is roomier as it is somewhat longer, nearly an inch wider and headroom benefits from the car's two-and-a-half inch taller stature. Standing 6'2" tall, I felt comfortable in both the front and back seating positions. However, three full-sized men may feel a little too chummy knocking knees in the back.

Refined road manners

Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system and wider track gives the car a very stable feeling as the driver exercises the car's 300 ponies and 260 lb.-ft of torque. An advanced four-wheel independent suspension, responsive rack-and-pinion power steering, and a very rigid overall body structure (an improvement of 33%) help give the car its new athletic prowess.

The SH-AWD system is pretty unique as it is a further adaptation of a system pioneered by Honda in the late Prelude SH: the ability to transfer power to the outside wheel during tight cornering which improves acceleration and enhances grip. The RL's system distributes torque between the front and rear wheels in an effort to maximum traction (as much as 70% either way), but also varies it from side to side to enhance cornering ability (it can send 100% of torque to the outside rear wheel if needed). Turning forces are amplified helping the car to navigate the turn much quicker than a similar vehicle without the system. The car tracks straight and true, with very little nose plough and just a hint of under-steer.

I never encountered snow but I did slosh around on some sweeping back roads that were partially flooded due to a seasonal deluge of rain. The SH system halted any sensation of wheel spin or traction loss, as it invisibly diverts power to the wheels that are still in contact with the road surface.

Advanced stability and traction control units complement the all-wheel-drive, while multi-channel ABS brakes are backed up Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). Unless you decide to flog this car at the track, the brakes should be in fine form to catch your fall.

Acura's ultra-smooth 3.5 litre single overhead cam V6 is their most powerful engine yet. Acceleration is linear and strong as you steam from 0-100 km/h in a touch over six seconds utilizing the nifty steering wheel-mounted paddles or shift lever to shift gears. Leaving the car to do the work slows the launch by about a second. As most of its competitors carry V8 muscle under their bonnets, the Acura has to rev a little higher to generate its kick, but the engine never comes across as buzzy or overworked.

Safety first

Like many of its rivals, the RL's high-intensity-discharge (HID) headlights have the ability to see around corners. Acura calls this feature the 'Active Front Lighting System' (AFS), which monitors steering inputs to swivel the main lamps up to 20 degrees. This is one technology I hope trickles down the automotive food chain quickly, as we all would benefit safety wise.

A full complement of advanced airbags are on board, including dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags up front, as well as a front side-airbag system, and side-curtain airbags front and rear. In the event of a crash or roadside assistance, the RL also comes with OnStar.

Bells and whistles

The Acura RL is Acura's flagship model, so it comes with such niceties as a dual zone automatic climate control system (with Micron Filtration System), heated front seats with power adjustability, leather upholstery, rear sunshades and a power moon roof. There's also a tilt/telescopic adjustable steering column, keyless entry and start and Bose-engineered audio system (AM/FM, in-dash 6-disc CD player with MP3 stereo) with ten carefully-matched speakers.

Technology mavens will love the cutting-edge DVD navigation system which offers voice activation and real-time traffic reporting. Hands free cellular phone capabilities (HandsFreeLink) and Homelink are also part of the RL's long equipment list.

The attention to detail is immediately evident when you get behind the wheel of the RL, as the fit and finish is top-notch. The stylish gauge cluster and all operational controls are easy on the eye and effortless to use and reach.

The bold centre stack offers both the driver and passenger a good view of the navigation and interface screen, making use of this system and the interconnected audio and HVAC components a breeze.

I have just one complaint about the RL's interior: the dash and console sport real wood trim - as do the doors - but on the latter, I found that its high-gloss finish reflected passing trees and traffic to the point where it was like watching a moving picture of my travels as I motored down the highway.

Conclusions

The Acura RL has been transformed from a stodgy, old-school Mercedes-Benz clone to a sophisticated and edgy luxury sports machine. It's stylish, powerful and loaded to the gills with innovative technology at a price that's thousands less than its main rivals from Lexus and Infiniti, as well as the usual suspects from Europe.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Fire It Up

Why are these people always so late?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

SJ_GTI

Sounds like more of a press release than a review.

Sultry curves? Is he looking at the same RL as me?  :lol:  

BMWDave

QuoteWhy are these people always so late?
I guess in Canada they cant get the cars until later.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

It's been on sale in Canada, they were just a bit slow to notice.  

BMWDave

QuoteIt's been on sale in Canada, they were just a bit slow to notice.
:D  

2007 Honda S2000

SVT_Power

QuoteIt's been on sale in Canada, they were just a bit slow to notice.
im not seeing many RLs here. Actually i think i've only seen like 2 RLs other than one my friend's family has
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raghavan

SVT_Power

Quotewhat the hell is a type SH?
i think they meant SH-AWD?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BMWDave

Most probably.

And welcome to the forums :)  

2007 Honda S2000

SVT_Power

Most probably.

And welcome to the forums :)
thank you

Raza

It must have been hard to write that review with their lips so firmly pressed against Acura's ass.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cozmik

QuoteIt must have been hard to write that review with their lips so firmly pressed against Acura's ass.
:lol:  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raghavan

QuoteIt must have been hard to write that review with their lips so firmly pressed against Acura's ass.
LMAO. :P  :D  :lol:  

SJ_GTI

:rockon:

Actually I noticed they try really hard to imply that this RL is lighter than the outgoing version by mentioning all the "lightweight" components, but unfortunately the actual specs are glaring in their absence. Could this be that the new RL, despite all of the lightweight components and smaller size, is actually heavier than the old model? Hm...

ifcar

All-wheel-drive does add weight. <_<

SVT_Power

well you dont need ur lips to write

Raghavan

well you dont need ur lips to write
how do you look down at the paper then?