2008 Jaguar S-Type: More than one way to skin a ca

Started by BMWDave, August 10, 2005, 07:03:52 AM

BMWDave

Picture at the Link

2008 Jaguar S-Type: More than one way to skin a cat
JULIAN RENDELL
Posted Date: 8/10/05
The next-generation Jaguar S-Type will be heavily reengineered, featuring a lightweight aluminum body but not an all-aluminum chassis like the XJ sedan and new XK coupe.

Observers thought the next S-Type would be a short-chassis version of the XJ, partly to justify the company?s major investment in building aluminum chassis cars. But now, with just over two years to go until a late 2007 launch of the 2008 model, Jag has canned the switch to riveted aluminum for the S-Type.

Engineering mules spotted in the United Kingdom show a car similar to today?s S-Type in size and proportion, with some modifications to take on the popular four-door coupe styling similar to Mercedes? CLS. Under the camouflage, we?re told the front end will mirror the R-D6 concept with its low-set ?shield? grille and twin headlights.

The new S-Type marks a new strategy for Jaguar as it reinvents itself as a small-volume, luxury carmaker happy to make 100,000 cars a year, rather than its late-1990s plan to build 200,000 cars a year.

As a result, Jaguar will likely discontinue the X-Type sedan in 2008, with no replacement currently planned. Jag?s future lies in pushing its image up-market, a new strategy that replaces the sporty and youthful focus embodied in Jaguar?s abandoned Formula One effort. Jag?s three models will be stretched with high-priced performance XJR and super-performance XJR-R models competing with junior Bentleys.

If this plan works, Jaguar?s next move will be to roll the dice on niche models, like a junior sports car and a crossover.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

The picture looks busy and bloated. That's not what Jaguars are known for.  

autom?vel

QuoteAs a result, Jaguar will likely discontinue the X-Type sedan in 2008, with no replacement currently planned. Jag?s future lies in pushing its image up-market, a new strategy that replaces the sporty and youthful focus embodied in Jaguar?s abandoned Formula One effort. Jag?s three models will be stretched with high-priced performance XJR and super-performance XJR-R models competing with junior Bentleys.

That's what I've beening hearing and picking vibes up on, but then I open up my Road & Track.  According to them, "rumors persist that Jaguar will build a new small car based on the Ford Focus/Volvo S40/Mazada3 platform to replace the lackluster X-Type; but get this...it will be even smaller than the X-Type."

Frankly, I don't know how much truth there is in that, but the point being that there are two widely different paths people are speculating Jaguar is going to take.  One day they've supposedly canceled making a crossover, and the next they're going right on with it.  Just depends who you ask.  No one really seems to know.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

TBR

Ifcar, that is just a concept, I am sure the actual car will have a much more refined design (I hope so anyway).

mazda6er

That concept car is both ass-ugly and eye-catching. I can't really decide if it's ugly or not.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteIfcar, that is just a concept, I am sure the actual car will have a much more refined design (I hope so anyway).
Concepts don't have to be busy and bloated. I fear for the next S.

850CSi

TBR

QuoteIfcar, that is just a concept, I am sure the actual car will have a much more refined design (I hope so anyway).
Concepts don't have to be busy and bloated. I fear for the next S.
No, they don't have to be. My point is that the design will be refined before it goes to production, a process which will hopefully get rid of the fussy design cues.

ifcar

I'm not liking even the basic shape of the car, which is bloated IMO. The add-ons that make it look busy may disappear in production, but I wouldn't expect the shape to change. Hopefully they can pull off an attractive vehicle.