"Synchro Saver"

Started by r0tor, March 31, 2009, 07:17:30 AM

r0tor

Is this really as big of a crock of shit as i think it is???

We are very proud to introduce a new product to the community!

Syncro Savers!

Over shifting during performance driving is a common occurrence across a wide variety of vehicles and the RX-8 is no exception.

During spirited driving, the faster you shift, the sooner you get back on the power. Unfortunately, faster shifting is usually more aggressive shifting which leads to ?over shifting? the transmission.

Over shifting is shifter travel greater than required to engage the gear which can cause serious damage to internal transmission components such as synchronizers, clutch hubs (which contact the synchronizer) or the shift forks. From the drivers seat this seems very slight but the clearances inside the transmission are measured it thousandths of an inch! In other words, a little extra movement in the shifter is eliminating the required clearances inside the transmission.

The next time you are in your vehicle, select a gear and release the shifter. Press the shifter harder into the same gear and you will notice the shifter actually continues to move past the point where the transmission is already in gear! In vehicles with short shifters this will be masked slightly because of the shortened throw but the internal stresses are still present and possibly worse because of leverage. During spirited driving it is likely happening with ALL of the shifts because the driver is focused on getting to the next gear as quickly as possible.

The bottom line, this slight additional movement breaks internal components! Race cars with aftermarket shifters have been addressing the problem for years and now you can as well!

The Syncro-Saver when installed properly will eliminate the additional excessive travel of the shifter with a definitive shifter stop which in turn will eliminate the binding of components inside the transmission. You set it, lock the stops in position and forget it!

This also allows you to focus on your driving and NOT worry about over shifting and damaging the transmission.

These have been tested on multiple cars already with the AFE Short Shifter and Standard OEM Shifter as well with great success!

Ok, how do you "over engage" a synchro?  Last time I checked, the synchro picks up the next gear during the shift, spinning it up to speed, and then when gears are completely meshed the synchro is really not even loaded any more.  How do you overshift??  Even the tranny design limits the amount of travel of the gear so it should not be possible to "go too far".  Am I just completely wrong about that?

About the only thing I can see this doing is stopping some barbarian from bending a shifter fork or making lots of synchros fail because owners install it improperly and not let the snychros actually fully engage...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

"In vehicles with short shifters this will be masked slightly because of the shortened throw but the internal stresses are still present and possibly worse because of leverage."

Don't short-shifters actually, uh, decrease leverage? (I could be wrong, I'm no expert).

:confused:

Secret Chimp

There is a genuine reality of "overshifting," but it's generally only with aftermarket linkages compatible with more than one type of transmission (if you flip to that part of a Jeg's catalog, most have some kind of setup of stop bolts to limit shifter travel)

There's absolutely no point in installing one of these things on a factory car.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

Plus, I think Lambo already thought of this. :devil:

:lol:

S204STi

+1 for what Chimp said.  Mechanically there is no reason for this as far as I can tell.

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 31, 2009, 08:24:54 AM
"In vehicles with short shifters this will be masked slightly because of the shortened throw but the internal stresses are still present and possibly worse because of leverage."

Don't short-shifters actually, uh, decrease leverage? (I could be wrong, I'm no expert).

:confused:

oh don't worry, your not confused
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

People just need to learn how to drive
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

Quote from: NACar on April 02, 2009, 03:50:27 PM
People just need to learn how to drive

What would happen to DSM owners?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Quote from: Secret Chimp on April 02, 2009, 04:48:16 PM
What would happen to DSM owners?

Their crank gets up and walks out on them from the crap they have to put up with.

r0tor

r0tor

i want a fishtank so badly.....  :(

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on April 05, 2009, 04:17:38 PM
i want a fishtank so badly.....  :(

you shouldn't have to wait too long... :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

I say that's all bullshit.  Think about the stresses on the individual teeth of a gear when it's under full load of the engine.  Now imagine how much additional force you're applying by pushing the gear shifter an extra 1/8".  I'm not applying more more than 10 lbs of force probably.  That's a negligible compared to the forces acting on the teeth due to the engine at full throttle.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

The Pirate

Quote from: MrH on April 13, 2009, 08:45:50 PM
I say that's all bullshit.  Think about the stresses on the individual teeth of a gear when it's under full load of the engine.  Now imagine how much additional force you're applying by pushing the gear shifter an extra 1/8".  I'm not applying more more than 10 lbs of force probably.  That's a negligible compared to the forces acting on the teeth due to the engine at full throttle.

You pansy runner folk may only be able to apply 10 lbs. of force, but I'm packing a lot of man candy, I'm probably good for at least double that.  :devil:

Hehe, you're probably spot on.  And, on a similar note, I rarely keep my hand on the gearshift when I'm not shifting.  I read somewhere that doing so can accelerate synchro wear.  It's probably not crucial for modern gearboxes (the Proteg? still shifts very nicely with 114K miles, and I got to drive my former Civic a few weeks ago - it shifts like butter with 180K miles).  Nonetheless, I read that, and I'm pretty anal about my car, so I got in the habit of keeping my hands off the shifter when not shifting.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

r0tor

I always thought the hand on the shifter thing created wear because of your hand tending to try to pull the tranny out of gear and therefore creat synchro wear - shrug-

S204STi

Basically there is the potential that you are moving the shift collar just far enough to contact the syncro, which would potentially cause wear.