Lincoln plans two Five Hundred-based sedans

Started by ifcar, August 10, 2005, 08:03:49 AM

ifcar

Lincoln Plans Two D3 Sedans

Lincoln's future sedan plans could include two vehicles spun from the same D3 platform that has already bred the Ford Five Hundred/Freestyle/Montego trio. Automotive News reports that Lincoln will follow its new Zephyr sedan due this fall with a pair of upscale sedans based on the Volvo/Ford platform that has spawned the Five Hundred sedan. The new sedans would replace the LS rear-driver with a new mid-size sedan from the new platform in 2007. A larger four-door would bow in 2008 and may be dubbed the Continental. Both would be powered by a version of the Yamaha-built 4.4-liter V-8 recently introduced in the Volvo XC90 sedan. Both vehicles would be built in Atlanta alongside a new crossover vehicle coming for Lincoln.  

mazda6er

Wow, Zephyr, new "LS", Continental...Even if the Towncar is on its way out (maybe replaced by the Continental?), this seems a bit overkill, doesn't it? Talk about squeezing money out of a single platform.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

The Town Car and Continental coexisted before, they can do it again.  

giant_mtb

Sweet.  :praise:

Lincoln... :wub: (except for the Mark LT  <_< )

TBR

QuoteThe Town Car and Continental coexisted before, they can do it again.
Not successfully, in recent times anyway.

ifcar

That's the fault of the product, not the strategy.

TBR

No it isn't, the Continental was a superior car to the Town Car yet the Town Car still easily outsold it.

ifcar

QuoteNo it isn't, the Continental was a superior car to the Town Car yet the Town Car still easily outsold it.
Neither was an especially good car. The Town Car just had better owner loyalty and pricing.

BMWDave

QuoteNo it isn't, the Continental was a superior car to the Town Car yet the Town Car still easily outsold it.
Neither was an especially good car. The Town Car just had better owner loyalty and pricing.
And the Town car was just dumped in copious amounts into fleet sales.  

The LS should be spun off a RWD setup, not a FWD one.   :( The LS is the only real sporty car in Lincoln's lineup, and perhaps its only raelly appealing car.  Lincoln shouldnt ruin that.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SVT_Power

And the Town car was just dumped in copious amounts into fleet sales.  

The LS should be spun off a RWD setup, not a FWD one.   :( The LS is the only real sporty car in Lincoln's lineup, and perhaps its only raelly appealing car.  Lincoln shouldnt ruin that.
the LS might rake up some more sales if they added AWD to the platform.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TBR

I am sure that both cars will have AWD available as both the Five Hundred and the Montego do.

TBR

I am sure that both cars will have AWD available as both the Five Hundred and the Montego do.

SVT_Power

has lincoln ever offered AWD except on the Navigator/Aviator?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raghavan

damn, a front driver replaces the rear wheel drive LS?:(

BMWDave

QuoteI am sure that both cars will have AWD available as both the Five Hundred and the Montego do.
I am also sure they will have AWD, but the LS was a sports sedan, and this platform just isnt the one to use to replace a car like that.

2007 Honda S2000

SVT_Power

Quotedamn, a front driver replaces the rear wheel drive LS?:(
Ford is not making the greatest decisions lately

ifcar

QuoteI am sure that both cars will have AWD available as both the Five Hundred and the Montego do.
I am also sure they will have AWD, but the LS was a sports sedan, and this platform just isnt the one to use to replace a car like that.
The S60 is also intended as a sports sedan, and has decent handling. And I suppose they blame the LS's lack of sales success on the car rather than their brand image and styling, and want to try something new (and cheaper). Not a great decision, but I'm sure it will still be far better than the Zephyr.

Raghavan

ifcar

Raghavan

QuoteThe previous Continental was V8 FWD.
but don't you think 311 hp and especially 325lb-ft of torque ( the current V8 specs) is a bit much for a front driver?

ifcar

"A version" of that engine used for grampa's Lincoln is probably not going to be making that kind of power.

SVT_Power

Quote"A version" of that engine used for grampa's Lincoln is probably not going to be making that kind of power.
lol probably right

TBR

I agree, I was responding to this comment:

"the LS might rake up some more sales if they added AWD to the platform. "

BMWDave

I agree, I was responding to this comment:

"the LS might rake up some more sales if they added AWD to the platform. "
All right, sorry for the confusion :)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Lincoln loses its only rear driver, has more expensive Ford rebadges....

This brand isn't dead yet?

At least Lincoln LS V8s are cheap on the used market.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

It's only rear driver? The Town Car is forgettable, but still available.  

Raza

QuoteIt's only rear driver? The Town Car is forgettable, but still available.
Oh sorry.  I should have said "only rear driver worth buying".  I forgot that the Town Car was rear drive.  

I wonder what one of those looks like on a race track...hmm...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

Oh sorry.  I should have said "only rear driver worth buying".  I forgot that the Town Car was rear drive.  

I think in a review of a armored town car, C/D said it drives like squash or something like that :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

I think in a review of a armored town car, C/D said it drives like squash or something like that :lol:
That's odd, I thought it drove more like zucchini.  :lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer