Who Pays $700 (SEVEN HUNDRED) per month on a car??

Started by AutobahnSHO, March 31, 2009, 09:57:39 AM

Byteme

$30,000 (+TTL)car financed for 48 months at 3% comes out to monthly payments of about $722.

SVT666

It's extremely easy to get $700 a month payments on a new car.  All you have to do is buy a loaded mid size sedan.

the Teuton

This is why people by 3ers and other entry luxury cars.  You can finance a 3er for under $500 a month.  $700 is a ripoff.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on March 31, 2009, 11:03:09 AM
This is why people by 3ers and other entry luxury cars.  You can finance a 3er for under $500 a month.  $700 is a ripoff.

You mean lease? Financing a car purchase is all about numbers, not the car. You'll make the same payment financing a $30k BMW as a $30k Maxima, provided the same down payment, interest rate, and term.

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 31, 2009, 11:13:27 AM
You mean lease? Financing a car purchase is all about numbers, not the car. You'll make the same payment financing a $30k BMW as a $30k Maxima, provided the same down payment, interest rate, and term.

You might be right.  Interest rates do have a lot of an impact on this one.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 31, 2009, 10:30:36 AM
It's extremely easy to get $700 a month payments on a new car.  All you have to do is buy a loaded mid size sedan.
Got that rite!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Don't people get 5yr loans? I saw some crap on TV about a 7yr car loan the other day. (I was like, "WHAT?" and my wife was like, "Wut?")
Will

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 31, 2009, 04:59:48 PM
Don't people get 5yr loans? I saw some crap on TV about a 7yr car loan the other day. (I was like, "WHAT?" and my wife was like, "Wut?")
$39,000 @ 3.0% over 60 months = $700.78

NomisR

Well, considering most people's savings are at less than 10k, it'll be difficult to get any sort of down payment together for a 30+ k car.  And a crummy brand new minivan costs more than that.. it's ridiculous.

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on March 31, 2009, 11:03:09 AM

Most 3ers (or at least a very large portion) are leased, not financed/bought.  Leasing is generally cheaper than financing since
1)  No interest
2)  You're only paying on the depreciation of the car, not its entire value (or the value for which you had to take a loan to cover after trade-in and down payment).

Because Bimmers hold their value so well, monthly payments on leases are typically quite low, lower than what you'd pay to finance.

Case in point, if I had a $5000 trade and $2500 cash down payment, a $34,500 328i would cost a little over $500 a month (60 mos, 5%) to finance vs $322 a month to lease.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

What makes you think there's no interest on leases?  That's not true.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MX793

Quote from: dazzleman on March 31, 2009, 06:02:33 PM
What makes you think there's no interest on leases?  That's not true.

There is interest taken into account in the monthly payments, but you don't typically see it explicitly stated.  When pricing a vehicle, the finance option always has a box for interest rate, I've never seen that for the lease payment calculator.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on March 31, 2009, 06:08:52 PM
There is interest taken into account in the monthly payments, but you don't typically see it explicitly stated.  When pricing a vehicle, the finance option always has a box for interest rate, I've never seen that for the lease payment calculator.
What car websites have you been to?  Lease rates on the Mustang were 12% when it came out in 2005. 

dazzleman

Quote from: MX793 on March 31, 2009, 06:08:52 PM

You're still paying interest.  Leasing is just an alternate way of financing.  Your payment is based on the price of the vehicle, less the down payment and the present value of the residual, spread over the lease term at the lease's finance rate.  Most people never get past the monthly payment, but all that goes into calculating it.

I'm against leasing unless you're leasing a car you could also afford to buy.  Because leasing provides a lower payment in the short run, many people use it to get into a car they couldn't afford to buy.  This ends up dooming them to a permanent car payment, since they never build any equity in the car.  I favor a shorter loan term, and then driving the car a few years without payments, over leasing, though leasing could be a good idea if you're the type of person who gets a new car every few years in any case.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

The Pirate

Ridiculous.  My car payment on the Civic was $132, and I paid that off early anyway.  As to GM and Ford's payment assistance, it's probably too late.  I think most folks are probably waiting to see what happens to the Big 3 (2.5) before buying something from them.

Though I could probably get a crazy deal on a 5-speed Fusion right now (if I could fine one).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on March 31, 2009, 08:41:09 PM
Ridiculous.  My car payment on the Civic was $132, and I paid that off early anyway.  As to GM and Ford's payment assistance, it's probably too late.  I think most folks are probably waiting to see what happens to the Big 3 (2.5) before buying something from them.

Though I could probably get a crazy deal on a 5-speed Fusion right now (if I could fine one).

5-speed Fusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!do it
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on March 31, 2009, 08:41:50 PM
5-speed Fusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!do it

If I could find one.  But yeah, I really like the Milan and the Fusion. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

dazzleman

Ford could pick up people who are pissed off about GM and Chrysler getting government (taxpayer) money.

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on March 31, 2009, 08:44:35 PM
Ford could pick up people who are pissed off about GM and Chrysler getting government (taxpayer) money.

They are.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on March 31, 2009, 08:44:22 PM
If I could find one.  But yeah, I really like the Milan and the Fusion. 

I used to know someone who had one. I got to ride in it. Yay!

How about a 5-speed Camry? I drove a 2002 model a few days ago at work. I almost fell asleep driving it from the parking lot into the garage.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

I wish this was all happening when I was out of school and with a job.  A new Dodge Ram (which would you could probably get with a pretty big discount) with a lifetime drivetrain warranty covered by the Feds when they go under would be awesome. :praise;
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

My car payment is 232.  The Civic was 19k and change, we put 5000 down and had a $500 trade in (my old 95 Civic, i miss it) for it and financed the rest over 5 years @ 1.9% (wohoo and having dad co-sign!).  I imagine 700 is for people that have either a very expensive car or have a high interest rate and a low down payment.  If its the later, they probably shouldn't be getting the car.  I mean thats three times my monthly payment

ChrisV

Quote from: Xer0 on March 31, 2009, 09:43:02 PM
I imagine 700 is for people that have either a very expensive car or have a high interest rate and a low down payment. 

As was said, $700 is for a loaded mid size sedan or minivan these days. Its not hard to get past $30k in a normal vehicle. A 3 series BMW, the new Taurus SHO, A Challenger, A Buick... I was shocked how high I could get a Mini up to, even. An Evo can get upwards of $40k... A Honda Oddessey Touring comes in at over $40k for a minivan. We haven't even hit the luxury cars yet, like the 5 or 7 series BMW, Cadillacs, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Lebowski

Quote from: MX793 on March 31, 2009, 05:46:35 PM

Most 3ers (or at least a very large portion) are leased, not financed/bought.  Leasing is generally cheaper than financing since
1)  No interest
2)  You're only paying on the depreciation of the car, not its entire value (or the value for which you had to take a loan to cover after trade-in and down payment).

Lower monthly payments does not necessarily equate to "cheaper".

And yes, you pay interest.

Lebowski

Lots of people have $700+/mo car payments.  Why drive something cheaper until you can afford to pay cash when you can have that BMW today ... just finance it for 60months

AutobahnSHO

Wow.
People make fun of my old cars and say I shoudl get something "reliable" but even figuring in a rental car now and again during breakdowns (which I DON'T do, I just bum rides or ride my bike,) I come out well under $250/month.

Right now I'm "upside down" in my Subaru- paid cash but I havne't even owned it a year yet.
Will

Vinsanity

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 01, 2009, 10:04:32 AM
Right now I'm "upside down" in my Subaru- paid cash but I havne't even owned it a year yet.

Technically, upside down means you owe more on your car than it's worth. So in that sense, you can't be upside down on a car that you own free and clear. Congrats :praise:

If you're referring to the car being worth less than you paid for it, then that happens to 99% of the cars anyone ever buys; cash, finance, or whatever.

Xer0

Quote from: ChrisV on April 01, 2009, 05:21:48 AM
As was said, $700 is for a loaded mid size sedan or minivan these days. Its not hard to get past $30k in a normal vehicle. A 3 series BMW, the new Taurus SHO, A Challenger, A Buick... I was shocked how high I could get a Mini up to, even. An Evo can get upwards of $40k... A Honda Oddessey Touring comes in at over $40k for a minivan. We haven't even hit the luxury cars yet, like the 5 or 7 series BMW, Cadillacs, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.

Yeah, but thats if you're financing the whole value of the car.  Don't people put any money down anymore?