McLaren said to be developing new F1

Started by SVT666, April 02, 2009, 08:44:53 AM

SVT666

McLaren said to be developing new F1

With its P11 sports car expected to be launched some time next year, British performance car maker McLaren is not wasting any time in moving ahead with development of another new model. According to a new report, the automaker is in the early stages of developing a successor the famous F1.

While the P11 is expected to rival the Ferrari F450 and Lamborghini Gallardo LP560, there remains plenty of room in the higher-end space for a more exotic model.

?We have just started looking at doing another F1. It is a clean sheet design,? a source told Autocar. The British publication describes the insider as a ?high-ranking official with intimate knowledge of the company?s secret business plan.?

With production of the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren winding down, the P11 is expected to arrive just in time to keep the storied badge in the public eye. As for the new F1, it is likely years away. It is expected to rival the likes of the Bugatti Veyron and Koenigsegg CCX.

?The P11 is just the beginning,? said the insider. ?There will be other models in the longer term.?

NomisR

I hope this will be more in line of the F1 rather than the SLR.  SLR was a FAIL.

SVT_Power

Quote from: NomisR on April 02, 2009, 02:59:31 PM
I hope this will be more in line of the F1 rather than the SLR.  SLR was a FAIL.

I don't see how it's fail at all...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Submariner

Quote from: NomisR on April 02, 2009, 02:59:31 PM

If you consider the SLR as a competitor to the F1, then yes, it was.  But the SLR was a high speed GT, not a F1.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sportyaccordy

Here's the thing; they already made the F1

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 07, 2009, 06:39:52 PM
Here's the thing; they already made the F1

Are you trying to say that laws weren't as strict and resources weren't so expensive when they made that car?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Galaxy

If the FIA does decide on April 29th to throw them out of the 2009 F1 season, with their sponsors presumabely dumping them, then they will not be developing anything.

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on April 08, 2009, 07:46:28 AM
If the FIA does decide on April 29th to throw them out of the 2009 F1 season, with their sponsors presumabely dumping them, then they will not be developing anything.
I thought they were already heavily penalized.  Why would they kick them out of the 2009 season?

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 08, 2009, 07:55:39 AM
I thought they were already heavily penalized.  Why would they kick them out of the 2009 season?

Hamilton got his part of the punishment by being DQ from the Australian GP. The team's punishment will be decided on April 29th.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7985669.stm

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on April 08, 2009, 06:54:47 AM
Are you trying to say that laws weren't as strict and resources weren't so expensive when they made that car?
No I'm saying they will never recapture the magic of the first car by setting out already to build in its shadow. Obviously no matter what they do people will compare this car to the F1, but if they say they will build an F1 and it fails to meet the expectations it would suck a lot harder than if they made a new car and left themselves the opportunity to say 'this is NOT a new F1'

Plus they already built the F1, seriously. Plus there have been so many supercars that followed with even more innovation. This car just doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table... plus we're in a recession. IDK

BimmerM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 08, 2009, 10:50:05 AM
Plus they already built the F1, seriously. Plus there have been so many supercars that followed with even more innovation. This car just doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table... plus we're in a recession. IDK

So you're saying that a non-existent car to be built in the future doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table? That seems like it might be easier to determine after they actually build the car and... you know... someone drives it.

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on April 08, 2009, 09:39:13 AM
Hamilton got his part of the punishment by being DQ from the Australian GP. The team's punishment will be decided on April 29th.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7985669.stm
Wow, these guys just don't learn do they?

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 08, 2009, 10:50:05 AM
No I'm saying they will never recapture the magic of the first car by setting out already to build in its shadow. Obviously no matter what they do people will compare this car to the F1, but if they say they will build an F1 and it fails to meet the expectations it would suck a lot harder than if they made a new car and left themselves the opportunity to say 'this is NOT a new F1'

:rolleyes:

Then I guess Ferrari should quit making 288 GTOs, F40s, and Enzos; Porsche should quit making 959s and Carrera GTs; Lamborghini should quit making Countachs, Diablos, and Murcielagos; Chevy should quit making ZR-1s; Dodge should quit making Vipers; Nissan should stop making GT-Rs...

I know! How about no one ever makes a halo car ever again. Would that make you happy? :nutty:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 08, 2009, 07:55:39 AM

Politics with motorsport sucks.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: Tave on April 09, 2009, 03:02:14 PM
:rolleyes:

Then I guess Ferrari should quit making 288 GTOs, F40s, and Enzos; Porsche should quit making 959s and Carrera GTs; Lamborghini should quit making Countachs, Diablos, and Murcielagos; Chevy should quit making ZR-1s; Dodge should quit making Vipers; Nissan should stop making GT-Rs...

I know! How about no one ever makes a halo car ever again. Would that make you happy? :nutty:

it's a naming convention. And well Ferrari, and Lambo don't reuse much of the same names. Porsche does because it kept very much the same look and everything, it's like the corvette of porsche. But Ferrari and Lambo seem to try and use new names as a way of saying it's new and different, even if it's the same. He's just annoyed because it'll be kinda like setting up for an akward revival of a legend. I guess to some people it's like have the second coming of christ, but it's not what everyone expects even though he has the same name :tounge:
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

Tave

:lol:

Really, we don't even know what the name is going to be. The article says, "successor to the F1," and "new F1." That doesn't mean they're going to call it the F1.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on April 10, 2009, 10:45:52 AM
:lol:

Really, we don't even know what the name is going to be. The article says, "successor to the F1," and "new F1." That doesn't mean they're going to call it the F1.

McLaren F1 Part II

Tave