Has anyone else noticed unusual mail trucks?

Started by Tave, April 02, 2009, 12:07:50 PM

Tave

Over the past few weeks, I've seen a lot of Dodge Caravans with yellow top-sirens and US MAIL signs trolloping about town to and fro. I don't suppose this is happening where y'all live?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

omicron

If memory serves, we have a whole lot of red Ford Transits and the odd LHD whatsit.

So no. ;)

Vinsanity

I've noticed alot of 1990's Ford Windstar mail trucks, but not too many of them making door-to-door deliveries. I always thought hybrids might be best suited for that, if not for the high purchase cost.

NomisR

Not that I know of.. maybe they're subcontracting out the mail delivery to save cost like what Fedex does with their "Home" service rather than using Union workers?

68_427

Some mail deliver...ers use their own vehicles around here.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TBR

Quote from: 68_427 on April 02, 2009, 12:57:11 PM
Some mail deliver...ers use their own vehicles around here.
The post office back home only has a couple of trucks that deliver in town, all of the rural carriers drive their own vehicles.

Vinsanity

yeah, I'd see pretty much exactly that, except a 1990's Ford Windstar. Maybe a few mid-2000's Caravans.

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 02, 2009, 02:16:00 PM
yeah, I'd see pretty much exactly that, except a 1990's Ford Windstar. Maybe a few mid-2000's Caravans.

I've seen all three.

It makes sense -- they have a lot more space and presumably do better on the highway than the traditional little Grummans.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on April 02, 2009, 02:31:08 PM
I've seen all three.

It makes sense -- they have a lot more space and presumably do better on the highway than the traditional little Grummans.

I've never seen any of those old box-style mail trucks on the freeway. Just minivans and larger commercial trucks. I figured the smaller box trucks were strictly for door-to-door duty.

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 02, 2009, 02:40:21 PM
I've never seen any of those old box-style mail trucks on the freeway. Just minivans and larger commercial trucks. I figured the smaller box trucks were strictly for door-to-door duty.

Of course, sometimes you need a highway to get to your door-to-door area. In suburban sprawl, you'll get fairly large zip codes, and I'd regularly see the little trucks struggling up steep highway (but not freeway) hills.

The Uplander I posted, however, was in a much more urban area: Capitol Hill in Washington. I assume there it's all about the cargo capacity.

2o6

Unusual? I've seen SWB Caravans, Windstars, Aerostars and lately Uplanders as mail carriers.

68_427

Quote from: TBR on April 02, 2009, 01:23:58 PM
The post office back home only has a couple of trucks that deliver in town, all of the rural carriers drive their own vehicles.
That's exactly it.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no