An enthusiast's dilemma

Started by the Teuton, April 02, 2009, 04:53:34 PM

the Teuton

I'm not going to lie, when I bought my little wagon in 2005, I wanted to make it into the closest thing to the 400 hp fire breathing monster of an STi wagon I had in Gran Turismo 2.  I am a huge Subaru enthusiast, and so I started collecting parts that I someday thought I would put on the car.

Fast forward now after owning the car for four years and over the course of 25,000 miles, and things aren't looking so bright.  I lead a very active lifestyle and I park on the street in a big city, so my car takes a thrashing.  Add to that they typical rust any 16-year-old Japanese car has and the small quirks that have come about because of the engine swap, mostly electrical, and it's starting to show that I am in no position to turn my car into something it's not at the moment much less it take the parts I have for it.

So I have about $1,000-1,500 in parts sitting in my garage that some people would kill for.  I just sold my rear disc conversion tonight for more than I paid for it by a small amount.  But there are some parts I think I will use on my next car, whatever Subaru it may be, because they're interchangeable such as the 2.5 RS lowering springs.

What I would like to know is whether or not it's time to give up the collection for the moment and wait until I have a vehicle better-suited for the parts or should I keep them?  Has anyone here ever had to balance being an enthusiast with being practical?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Sell the parts and don't buy more.

Modifying what is, quite frankly, a pile of shit (I have one too so I can say that) is a waste of money. Better to save the money so that you can trade it in for something decent in a few years.

GoCougs

Not worth it - liquidate everything, drive the current ride into the ground (further), and save for something newer.

Laconian

By the time you install those parts in your car, you'll probably have a job and the means to buy a better car outright. The endearing quirks of your car that you tolerate now will turn into headaches, once the realization sets in that objectively the car isn't in very hot shape.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

What if I buy a Forester and want to lower it?  Keep the springs or not?

Quote from: TBR on April 02, 2009, 04:55:27 PM

Modifying what is, quite frankly, a pile of shit (I have one too so I can say that) is a waste of money. Better to save the money so that you can trade it in for something decent in a few years.

The car was in pretty good condition when I bought it, all things considered.  It's just taken the beating of the latter half of my teenage years and the earlier half of my twenties.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on April 02, 2009, 05:00:57 PM
You have more use for the money now than you will in the future. Your parts are not one of a kind, you can get them again if you need them.

r0tor

my friend is going throught the same thing with his 240SX... he has probably $6k of parts laying around (silvia conversion plus a SR20DET) and the car itself is a hopeless rust bucket that been on jack stands for a good year now getting shit done.  His beater car blew up and he bought a 325i as a commuter car and now likes that car so much that he wishes he could have saved all the 240SX money and just got a 335i and be done with it....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on April 02, 2009, 05:00:57 PM
Depends, how much are they worth? If it is any significant amount I'd sell them and then if you got a Forester and want to lower it (though why not just get a Legacy Wagon?) I am sure you can find some for a similar price.
The car was in pretty good condition when I bought it, all things considered.  It's just taken the beating of the latter half of my teenage years and the earlier half of my twenties.
I'd say that my car is in pretty good condition for a car as old as it is. But, it still has a bunch of weirds creaks, rattles, and squeaks that annoy the hell out of me. And, ultimately, it drives like a car that debuted in 1992, it's outdated.

Lebowski

Quote from: TBR on April 02, 2009, 04:55:27 PM

+1

Although I'm sure everyone will pile in and tell me I'm "not an enthusiast" because I think modifying something that isn't meant to be a performance car is analogous to pissing money down the toilet.

Laconian

Quote from: Lebowski on April 02, 2009, 05:13:27 PM
+1

Although I'm sure everyone will pile in and tell me I'm "not an enthusiast" because I think modifying something that isn't meant to be a performance car is analogous to pissing money down the toilet.
Some cars moreso than others. If it's a mainstream car that is already turbocharged and MT, for example, then I'd say there is some cost effective modification that can be done.

the Teuton

Quote from: Lebowski on April 02, 2009, 05:13:27 PM
+1

See, Subarus are fairly easy to make into enthusiast cars because there really wasn't much different between the run of the mill base AWD cars and the WRXs for a long time.

But I understand your point completely.

So general consensus is to start playing around with my car when I a) have a better car to start from, b) have more time to play with it, c) have more money to spend on it, and d) don't have the wasteland known as college to worry about.

Is this right?

NomisR

Liquidate everything until you find a car you really want.  There's no point in keeping this because once you start working, what you can afford and what you want may be different from now.  At that time you will regret wasting all that money on this car. 

I've been there and done.  That's why with the Rx8 and RSX, there were minimum mods.. only did minor stuff for the Elise. 

r0tor

however, there is in theory the benefit of maybe sinking a couple grand into a car you have and those mods making the car so much more enjoyable that you can put off buying another car for 5 years
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Sell everything, including your car. Buy a Swift.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Sell the parts.  You have better use for that money now, and to do exrensive modifications to that car is sort of like building a foundation on sand.  It's just not worth it.

When you're in a position financially to get a better car, then you can reevaluate.  Until then, liquidate the parts and hold onto the money.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: r0tor on April 02, 2009, 05:43:24 PM
however, there is in theory the benefit of maybe sinking a couple grand into a car you have and those mods making the car so much more enjoyable that you can put off buying another car for 5 years
Doesn't really work that way as much as I'm trying to convince myself.

I am in the same situation. I already know what car I want next... I'm just gonna load my car up with the parts I bought, drive it till I can save up to buy what I want and get rid of it. It's been a huge waste of time and money.

Modding something like your wag or my car is something you do long after you've established yourself financially. Now is not the time. I don't know if you're done with school or w/e, but once you're out in the real world just junk your wag and get an actual WRX.

the Teuton

Oh, I will keep the wagon until it is unsafe to drive.  Then, it will become a rallyX car until it is unsafe to drive there.  Then I'll retire it.

But yeah, I'm going to start liquidating my car parts.  I talked to my dad tonight after reading some of your opinions, and I'm easily sitting on at least $1,100.  I can do a lot with that much money right now.

SVT666

The parts are worth more then the car.  I think it's obvious.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 02, 2009, 11:04:17 PM
The parts are worth more then the car.  I think it's obvious.

I paid $800 for it in 2005, and I've maybe $1,400 (probably a little high of a number) total in major repairs over the past four years to keep it road-worthy.

I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it thus far.

ChrisV

Don't listen to me. I built customs and hot rods on a shoestring when I was making $7/hr. I enjoyed the hell out of my cars, made money on them when I sold them and built more fun cars. I had more fun cars, and more fun WITH cars back then than I do now that I'm "financially secure."

Taking a cheap economy car, putting some money into mods, then blowing off guys that spent $30k on a Corvette at the track was immensly satisfying, much more personal and gave a great sense of accomplishment that doesn't come with simly buying "off the rack." Very often the parts I put on were worth more than the car was when I bought it, because I'd buy $100-500 cars with the intent of modding them. I also really prefered cars that were not mainstream. For example, while I had Mustangs to race, the Falcons were more satisfying to mod and drive.

But, like I said, don't listen to me. What do I know about cars?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on April 02, 2009, 11:42:23 PM
I paid $800 for it in 2005, and I've maybe $1,400 (probably a little high of a number) total in major repairs over the past four years to keep it road-worthy.

I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it thus far.
You missed my point.  Those performance parts are worth more then the car, so I wouldn't do it.  I'm not saying you didn't get your money's worth.  I'm saying it ain't worth your money to modify it, especially right now when you will be going to school.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on April 03, 2009, 05:49:08 AM
Don't listen to me. I built customs and hot rods on a shoestring when I was making $7/hr. I enjoyed the hell out of my cars, made money on them when I sold them and built more fun cars. I had more fun cars, and more fun WITH cars back then than I do now that I'm "financially secure."

Taking a cheap economy car, putting some money into mods, then blowing off guys that spent $30k on a Corvette at the track was immensly satisfying, much more personal and gave a great sense of accomplishment that doesn't come with simly buying "off the rack." Very often the parts I put on were worth more than the car was when I bought it, because I'd buy $100-500 cars with the intent of modding them. I also really prefered cars that were not mainstream. For example, while I had Mustangs to race, the Falcons were more satisfying to mod and drive.

But, like I said, don't listen to me. What do I know about cars?
I dig what you're saying, but at the end of the day dude has to make a choice about what's important. I don't know what your situation was like growing up but from what I'm seeing it seems like people had much more disposable income to spend on cars in the 60s-70s. That's not the case so much anymore. Even as an enthusiast, right now cars shouldn't be a priority if they get in the way of financial stability.

L. ed foote

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 03, 2009, 07:51:56 AM
I dig what you're saying, but at the end of the day dude has to make a choice about what's important. I don't know what your situation was like growing up but from what I'm seeing it seems like people had much more disposable income to spend on cars in the 60s-70s. That's not the case so much anymore. Even as an enthusiast, right now cars shouldn't be a priority if they get in the way of financial stability.

Regardless, his point is that it can be done.  Head over to GRM and see the challenge cars people have put out over the years.

If Teuts needs the $$, then liquidate, the parts can always be reacquired.  If he wants a project, pick up a second car on the cheap, and modify the wagon.

There are so many ways that he can go.
Member, Self Preservation Society

ChrisV

That's why I said don't listen to me. I had fun playing with cars when I made $7/hour. My situation growing up was living below the poverty line. I started playing with cars in '78 when I was in high school, without my parents' financial help. But most of the stuff I built was in the mid '80s through the late '90s.

I'm just responding the the points brought up about "it's not worth modding a car if the mods are worth more than the car" and "it's not worth modding a cheap car when you could save up for a better car." I disagree with both of those, and have had the fun cars to back up my position.

ChrisV

Quote from: L. ed foote on April 03, 2009, 08:26:12 AM
If Teuts needs the $$, then liquidate, the parts can always be reacquired.  If he wants a project, pick up a second car on the cheap, and modify the wagon.

Yeah, interestingly, when you're in this sort of position, it's often easier to deal with two cars: a driver and a project. That is, if you have the room to have two cars.

TBR

FYI, $7.00 in 1980 would be $18.00 adjusted for inflation.

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on April 03, 2009, 09:31:07 AM

Try $7/hr in '92. That's when I was recovering from the accident that left me in a wheelchair, and and started working at an RV store, and built the V8 RX7. In '80 I was a senior in high school and was working for $4/hr part time and built the Torino GT AND my Pinto autocross car.

L. ed foote

Quote from: ChrisV on April 03, 2009, 09:21:51 AM
Yeah, interestingly, when you're in this sort of position, it's often easier to deal with two cars: a driver and a project. That is, if you have the room to have two cars.

I've done it without having the room :lol:

It sucks not having a garage, most of the work I do is on the street, but I haven't really done much in the way of extensive mods.  It's a PITA to move cars around under your own power for street cleaning.

I have the philosophy that your project car shouldn't be your daily driver...  Of course it should be noted that I'm daily driving my project car, but I haven't done much to the Scirocco.  I'll probably look to pick up a 2nd car sometime in the next couple of months and put the VW back to "project" status, which is why I originally picked it up.

But yeah, I've been combing the vortex for ideas, and otherwise doing research...

TBR

Quote from: ChrisV on April 03, 2009, 09:36:21 AM
Try $7/hr in '92. That's when I was recovering from the accident that left me in a wheelchair, and and started working at an RV store, and built the V8 RX7. In '80 I was a senior in high school and was working for $4/hr part time and built the Torino GT AND my Pinto autocross car.

That makes far more sense, your post wasn't clear. Though as it happens both work out to roughly $10.50/hour, more than most college students and high school students make. Regardless, ultimately it is a case of putting your priorities in the right order. First priority should always be to get an education , if you feel like that's the right option for you. Second priority should be to have some emergency savings in place. I have friends back home who sink every dollar they make into modifying their vehicles, but then when something on that vehicle breaks they don't have money saved to repair it and then can't get to their job. Third priority comes the toys, modifying cars falls into that category. Ultimately, because I knew that my parents weren't just going to pay my way through college, I never really got to the third priority despite working my ass off in high school.

L. ed foote

Quote from: TBR on April 03, 2009, 09:31:07 AM

Regardless, a car can still be built using parts on the cheap.  Just have to be creative about it.  Nothing wrong with hitting up the local pick and pull for parts for a swap.  Looking at something like the VW Vortex, there are a ton of parts and cars and parts cars that can be had on the cheap.