The 'Dukes effect' boosts new Charger

Started by BMWDave, August 10, 2005, 05:18:28 PM

BMWDave

The 'Dukes effect' boosts new Charger
Web inquiries on 2006 Dodge Charger spiked the weekend "Dukes of Hazzard" was released.
August 10, 2005; Posted: 3:29 p.m. EDT (1929 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Interest in the movie "The Dukes of Hazzard" is driving interest in the new four-door version of the Dodge Charger, judging by traffic numbers from CNN.com automotive partner Edmunds.com.

The movie's opening last weekend coincided with a 25 percent increase in traffic to Edmunds.com Web pages containing details about the 2006 Dodge Charger. Traffic to the Website in general was four percent lower than it had been the previous weekend.

In the movie, as in the 1970s TV show on which it is based, cousins Bo and Luke Duke drive an orange 1969 Dodge Charger called the "General Lee".

The new Charger, unlike the classic muscle car of the 1960s and early '70s, is a four-door sedan. The General Lee had only two doors. Even those, however, were welded shut.

The new Charger is available with a high-output "Hemi" engine as were those classic Chargers.

There is no marketing agreement between DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler Group, which makes the Charger, and producers or distributors of "The Dukes of Hazzard," according to a Chrysler spokesman.

Data released recently by Kelley Blue Book indicated that prices paid for 1969 Dodge Chargers had been rising sharply in the months leading up to the release of the "Dukes of Hazzard" movie.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

280Z Turbo

The "Charger" and "Hemi" names are great gimmicks for Chrysler!

GM is missing out by not using the "Camaro" and "Chevelle" nameplates.

Raza

QuoteThe "Charger" and "Hemi" names are great gimmicks for Chrysler!

It helps that the Charger is actually a good car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

You don't think GM could make one as well?  

Raza

You don't think GM could make one as well?
Never said they couldn't.  But the Charger name doesn't mean anything if the car is the quality equivalent of a 1997 Corolla.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

That was my question: you don't think GM could build a car worthy of a heritage name?

Raza

QuoteThat was my question: you don't think GM could build a car worthy of a heritage name?
I think they can, surely.  But they haven't yet.  Chrysler has.

And it didn't sound like a question so much as an accusation, Michael.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

With fresh styling, something GTO-based would work quite nicely.

Raza

QuoteWith fresh styling, something GTO-based would work quite nicely.
Using a smaller chassis would be nice.  But it's a rear driver that won't cost a whole lot in R&D.  Hope they can keep it light.  3700 pounds is too heavy.

I hope they don't make it a boxy Mustang ripoff.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

QuoteI hope they don't make it a boxy Mustang ripoff.
They're in it for the money and retro = money. It's certainly not out of the question.

We've all seen how GM works. They watch the other guy go first then they jump in a few years later.

ifcar

Using a smaller chassis would be nice.  But it's a rear driver that won't cost a whole lot in R&D.  Hope they can keep it light.  3700 pounds is too heavy.

What could possibly give you the idea that GM would follow a competing manufacturer into making a near-identical retro quick-success?  <_<  

Raza

What could possibly give you the idea that GM would follow a competing manufacturer into making a near-identical retro quick-success?  <_<
Sketches of the next GTO...

:rolleyes:  :blink:  :wacko:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

I was referring to the HHR myself.  

Raza

Too right.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Too right.
Thunderbird -> SSR
PT Cruiser -> HHR
Magnum, 300C -> V8 Impala
Mustang -> Next GTO, Next F-body???

TurboDan

To this day I can't believe what idiots were in charge at GM that allowed the Camaro to become a car that people made fun of with mullet hair style and Van Halen record references.  They had a car that was as heritage as you could possibly get, and they did nothing with it and let it become irrelevant and die.  

Ford's Mustang is one of the hottest cars for both young and old, and is selling wonderfully.  The Camaro is just a memory.  Disgraceful.

Raza

Too right.
Thunderbird -> SSR
PT Cruiser -> HHR
Well, to be techical, the V8 Impala is still FWD.  And didn't the Thunderbird fail horribly?  Isn't the SSR failing horribly?

I sense a trend...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

ifcar

Too right.
Thunderbird -> SSR
PT Cruiser -> HHR
Well, to be techical, the V8 Impala is still FWD.  And didn't the Thunderbird fail horribly?  Isn't the SSR failing horribly?

I sense a trend...
That trend would imply that when GM copies a successful vehicle, their copy will succeed. I doubt that's happening.  

SJ_GTI

I saw my first Charger on the road last night driving home. from any angle other than the front it looked bloated.

280Z Turbo

Too right.
Thunderbird -> SSR
PT Cruiser -> HHR
Well, to be techical, the V8 Impala is still FWD.
Yeah, but the V8 Impala is GM's half-assed attempt at the 300C and Magnum.

I'd be willing to bet that Chrysler's new V8 cars are the reason behind the V8 Impala.

280Z Turbo

QuoteYeeeee Haaaaaaa!

:lol:
That looks like crap.

Raghavan

QuoteYeeeee Haaaaaaa!

That looks like crap.
:praise:  

BMWDave

QuoteYeeeee Haaaaaaa!

That looks like crap.
I think it looks nice, in a subtle way.   :)  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteYeeeee Haaaaaaa!

That looks like crap.
Subtle?  :blink:  

BMWDave

QuoteYeeeee Haaaaaaa!

That looks like crap.
Subtle?  :blink:
Its subtle in terms of making it a General lee.  There is only the numbers on the side, new wheels, and a Confederate flag that make it different.  No overdone spolers, body kits, etc.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I'd call that spoiler overdone. It doesn't flow with the car either.  <_<  

BMWDave

QuoteI'd call that an overdone spoiler.
I believe the same one exists on other R/T models, its just painted the color of the car.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I'm pretty sure the regular Charger has a lip spoiler.  

BMWDave

QuoteI'm pretty sure the regular Charger has a lip spoiler.
I cant find any pictures of normal R/Ts with that spoiler, but I'm almost positive I saw a white R/T with that spoiler.

2007 Honda S2000