Opinion: why shouldn't I buy this truck.

Started by Payman, April 08, 2009, 07:24:19 AM

Payman

Neighbour lost his license for 3 years for 2nd DUI. He has a 2001 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab 4X4 with the 4.7l V8 and auto tranny. It's in great shape and looks terrific. He was going to sell it for $8000, and I offered him $7000. He agreed and I have first grab at it, but I have to let him know for sure by this weekend. I just read some info on the 4.7 and it looks all positive. Anyone have experience with this model? What should I look out for? Thanx.

Nick

Tave

We have the same engine in the Durango and it's been a gem. Our tranny died in the first year or two of ownership and was replaced under warranty (somewhat of a common issue, I believe). I think ours is a 1999, but it might be a 2000. I'm not sure if Chrysler fixed the tranny issue for 2001 or not. You might ask him about that.

Nothing wrong so far besides that. I know the Dakota doesn't get a whole lot of love on here, but it's been a solid ride for us. I've beat the shit out of it on all kinds of roads and it's still going strong. I love taking it camping.

I think Dodge always seems to do a good job with the steering on their trucks.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Payman

Ahhh, thanks. I'll ask him about the tranny. Otherwise sounds like it's a good engine, and these model years Durango/Dakota are the apex of these trucks IMO. If I get the right answers by tomorrow I'm going to buy it.

the Teuton

I've only ever driven a V6 RWD 5-speed Dakota.  It was slow but fun.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

bing_oh

It still smells like beer and puke? :huh:

Yea, the only possible issue would be the tranny. 2001's gotta be right about the time that Dodge reengineered their transmissions to eliminate the problems they were experiencing, but it's definitely something you should check in to.

MrH

Those trucks are a great deal, and having a truck around to haul shit is always helpful.  I say go for it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

Quote from: bing_oh on April 08, 2009, 09:56:09 AM
It still smells like beer and puke? :huh:

Yea, the only possible issue would be the tranny. 2001's gotta be right about the time that Dodge reengineered their transmissions to eliminate the problems they were experiencing, but it's definitely something you should check in to.

He got busted on his 2008 Harley he bought last summer, after sinking $3000 worth of chrome into it.  :facepalm:

Payman

Looks just like this one, but with a black canvas bed cover and chrome side steps.

bing_oh

Quote from: Payman on April 08, 2009, 10:18:27 AM
He got busted on his 2008 Harley he bought last summer, after sinking $3000 worth of chrome into it.  :facepalm:

Take over a case of beer and renegotiate. Anybody stupid enough to get onto a motorcycle loaded (even worse a brand new, decked out Harley) doesn't have good decision-making skills while drunk.

Payman

ifcar

Quote from: Payman on April 08, 2009, 10:21:29 AM
Looks just like this one, but with a black canvas bed cover and chrome side steps.

Crew cabs have four full-size doors.

Payman

Eye of the Tiger

The tranny on my mom's Durango went bad pretty quickly. Otherwise, I don't see any problems as long as you agree to put a supercharger on it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: NACar on April 08, 2009, 11:24:49 AM
The tranny on my mom's Durango went bad pretty quickly. Otherwise, I don't see any problems as long as you agree to put a supercharger on it.

How 'bout nooooo... you crazy dutch bastard. If anything, I'm putting a bush bar on front and going hunting for Swifts.

SVT666

No question.  Buy it.  That's the model Dakota I want.

Byteme

Quote from: Payman on April 08, 2009, 07:24:19 AM
Neighbour lost his license for 3 years for 2nd DUI. He has a 2001 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab 4X4 with the 4.7l V8 and auto tranny. It's in great shape and looks terrific. He was going to sell it for $8000, and I offered him $7000. He agreed and I have first grab at it, but I have to let him know for sure by this weekend. I just read some info on the 4.7 and it looks all positive. Anyone have experience with this model? What should I look out for? Thanx.

Nick

First off I'm surprised yet gratified that he is on foot for the next three years for just his second DUI.  Here in Texas that will get you virtually nothing.

About the truck.  I've been told they are quite thirsty, so expect less than decent mileage.

SVT666

Quote from: Byteme on April 08, 2009, 01:12:27 PM
About the truck.  I've been told they are quite thirsty, so expect less than decent mileage....just like every other truck.

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 08, 2009, 01:14:22 PM

No, the Dakota is especially thirsty, or at least the 5.2 was, I don't know about the 4.7.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Payman on April 08, 2009, 11:31:11 AM
How 'bout nooooo... you crazy dutch bastard. If anything, I'm putting a bush bar on front and going hunting for Swifts.

The Swift is very elusive. It can turn from a car into pile of rust and back in a matter of seconds.

Payman

Quote from: TBR on April 08, 2009, 01:17:08 PM
No, the Dakota is especially thirsty, or at least the 5.2 was, I don't know about the 4.7.

That goes with owning a V8 truck.

MaxPower

The V6s are relatively bad on gas too.  I've had some seat time in a 2WD V6 and you can just about watch the fuel gauge needle falling.  It gets about 6 mpg less than my 4WD V6 Tacoma.  This is all irrelevant, of course, because you're looking at a V8.

Payman

According to what I'm reading, the 4.7 is more efficient than the 3.9 V6 in the same truck (18/24 vs 18/22) and way more than the 5.2 (14/19).

The Pirate

Didn't that generation of 4x4 Dakota have some relatively significant balljoint issues?  And, IIRC, the balljoint is riveted to (or otherwise integral with) the control arm, so the repair can get pricey.  I know my buddy with a '99 had some issues with that on his. 

If that checks out to your satisfaction, I say go for it.  I like those trucks (perfect size and great styling) a lot.  And yeah, that 4.7L is a pretty nice engine, I've 900 miles worth of seat time in a Durango equipped with one.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MX793

My brother has a Dakota of that vintage (but his is the V6).  For those not familiar with it, those models have a handy light under the hood to illuminate the engine bay.  There's a reason that feature is there.

I know a guy with the V8 model.  It's a thirsty motor.  The 2000 4.6L F150 my father used to have got better mileage by a couple of MPGs.

Oh, and something else I've noticed about these trucks is that I've yet to see one that didn't have a half rotten rear bumper.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sandertheshark

That should be a pretty solid piece of truck.

sportyaccordy

You could buy an old M3 for the same money. Cut out the rear roof, turn it into a truck

Eye of the Tiger

IMHO, I would get a previous generation Dakota with the MAGNUM V6. That should be around $2000 at the most. Spend the other $5000 on a Miata.

Payman

SVT666

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.