Pic: 06 Grand Vitara 2-door

Started by ifcar, August 11, 2005, 06:12:08 AM

ifcar

mazda6er

I'm loving the Equinox taillights they've got on that thing. Is this just a rebadge with a modified body?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

It looks ok, but I dont like the taillights used on the car.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

This 2-door SUV strategy seems pretty bold. There are currently no two-door SUVs on the market and there's a reason for that.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

There's still the Wrangler. And I believe 2-door SUVs are still available in other parts of the world.

mazda6er

QuoteThere's still the Wrangler. And I believe 2-door SUVs are still available in other parts of the world.
Yeah, I forgot about the Wrangler, and actually the Freelander might still have a two-door version also, but those are aimed at a different demographic than the GV. Actually the Blazer is also a 2-door, so again I don't know what I'm talking about. But still, two doors in larger SUVs don't sell well, especially if there is a 4-door variant. (as in the case of the Explorer.)
--Mark

ifcar

The Explorer 2-door was discontinued awhile ago, the Freelander 2-door didn't see 05, and the Blazer either expired for 05 or 06.  

mazda6er

QuoteThe Explorer 2-door was discontinued awhile ago, the Freelander 2-door didn't see 05, and the Blazer either expired for 05 or 06.
I knew the Explorer left, that was why I mentioned it (meaning the two-door did not sell well enough to even justify continued production). As for the Freelander, I said I wasn't sure and I'd be positive that a Blazer exists, at least for '05.
--Mark

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I'm trying to think where I've seen that interior before.  

BMWDave

QuoteI'm trying to think where I've seen that interior before.
Similar to a Kia Sorento?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI'm trying to think where I've seen that interior before.
Maybe I'm thinking:

Run Away

I have to say, that looks really good.

Raghavan

This thing is a true 4x4 right?

Run Away

I don't see why I wouldn't be, the Vitara, Sidekick, and Samurai all were body on frame SUVs with low range transfer cases.
But if it's based on the Equinox I don't know.

Raghavan

QuoteI don't see why I wouldn't be, the Vitara, Sidekick, and Samurai all were body on frame SUVs with low range transfer cases.
i'm pretty sure it's not based on the Equinox.

TBR

QuoteI don't see why I wouldn't be, the Vitara, Sidekick, and Samurai all were body on frame SUVs with low range transfer cases.
You're wrong (I love saying that ;) :lol:):
Suzuki has taken the wraps off the next Japanese market Escudo SUV and gives us a preview of the 2006 Grand Vitara at the same time. There?s no mistaking the resemblance to the Suzuki Concept X2 that debuted at the NY auto show and the GM DNA from the Equinox/VUE. The Suzuki will use their own 4x4 system and 181 horsepower V-6 instead of dipping into GM?s bins. While the look is anything but revolutionary, Suzuki will finally bring their SUV line into the 21st century.

93JC

Suzuki has taken the wraps off the next Japanese market Escudo SUV and gives us a preview of the 2006 Grand Vitara at the same time. There?s no mistaking the resemblance to the Suzuki Concept X2 that debuted at the NY auto show and the GM DNA from the Equinox/VUE. The Suzuki will use their own 4x4 system and 181 horsepower V-6 instead of dipping into GM?s bins. While the look is anything but revolutionary, Suzuki will finally bring their SUV line into the 21st century.
Actually, you're wrong: this new Grand Vitara shares nothing with the Equinox and Vue. The chassis, the body, the powertrain... None of it is shared with anything else from GM.

The next XL-7 will be based directly off of the Equinox though. Except Suzuki plans on ripping out the old pushrod 3.4L V6 and replacing it with the GM 3.6L DOHC VVT V6.

Raghavan

Actually, you're wrong: this new Grand Vitara shares nothing with the Equinox and Vue. The chassis, the body, the powertrain... None of it is shared with anything else from GM.

The next XL-7 will be based directly off of the Equinox though. Except Suzuki plans on ripping out the old pushrod 3.4L V6 and replacing it with the GM 3.6L DOHC VVT V6.
HA! Take that Tim! :praise:  

ifcar

We have two conflicting sources: "AutoBlog" and 93JC. Which will prove superior?  

TBR

Maybe you're right, but for now I am going with autoblog.

93JC

QuoteWe have two conflicting sources: "AutoBlog" and 93JC. Which will prove superior?
Me, of course. You should know by now that what I have to say is gospel.

Amusingly, an astute autoblog reader gave everyone the heads up on the very same page: http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000880043603/#c251441

Crikey, we had this discussion earlier: http://forums.carspin.net/index.php?showtopic=461

Raghavan

In the C/D preview, the specs sheet says that it's a rear/4wd vehicle. That means it's not based on the Equinox, as that's FWD/AWD, with a transversely mounted engine. Teh Suzuki's based on a truck f rame.