Lotus to Revive Europa Nameplate

Started by BMWDave, August 11, 2005, 08:47:24 AM

BMWDave

Lotus to Revive Europa Nameplate for New 2+2 Coupe
Date Posted 08-10-2005

HETHEL, England ? British sports carmaker Lotus will revive the Europa nameplate for its new 2+2 coupe, which will be unveiled at next March's Geneva Motor Show.

The Europa is based on a widened and lengthened Elise chassis, giving it two small rear seats and easier access. It will fit between the rough-and-ready Elise/Exige sports cars and the planned new Esprit coupe. It will be powered by a turbocharged 2.0- or 2.2-liter GM engine from the "hot hatch" Opel Astra ? making between 200 and 240 horsepower. According to the company, it will be quieter, more luxurious and less harsh-riding than the Elise, which will give it greater appeal in the U.S.

The Europa will be built at Lotus' Hethel plant; the Esprit, due in 2007, will be made in Malaysia. The all-aluminum Esprit will have a midengine V8 power plant and composite body panels.

The previous Europa was built between 1967 and 1975, and was Lotus' first midengine production car. Around 9,000 were made.

What this means to you: The Elise and Exige are fine, if you're 5 feet 2 and weigh less than 130 pounds. The Europa will offer more comfort ? while keeping the Lotus DNA.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

JYODER240

Good, I like to see more true lightweight sports cars being built. Most are getting to heavy IMO. But will we get this one here?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

BMWDave

QuoteGood, I like to see more true lightweight sports cars being built. Most are getting to heavy IMO. But will we get this one here?
Thats Lotus' whole mantra...achieving sportiness through low weight.  I dont think we will be seeing any heavy sports cars from them :P

This may make it over to the US, and I sure hope it does.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

Looking good.   How much will this thing cost?
And Europa?  I would have gone with "Elite".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Didn't expect that engine choice, but I guess it shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

Raghavan

lol. rear seats. wonder how small they'll be.

giant_mtb

200-240 horses?  Give me one, then put it in the Elise.  :praise:  :lol:  

Raza

Quote200-240 horses?  Give me one, then put it in the Elise.  :praise:  :lol:
Isn't there a TRD supercharger for the Elise engine?  I think that would be cheaper and easier to install.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote200-240 horses?  Give me one, then put it in the Elise.  :praise:  :lol:
Isn't there a TRD supercharger for the Elise engine?  I think that would be cheaper and easier to install.
I'm sure there is.  

TBR

Actually, there isn't. But, there are other kits available.

Raghavan

QuoteActually, there isn't. But, there are other kits available.
you can still get one and put it in, right?

ifcar

It wouldn't get the warranty of a typical TRD installation, however.