2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins; AC Is Blowing Uncooled Air Again!

Started by eightballsidepocket, April 20, 2009, 06:46:22 PM

eightballsidepocket

Back in April of 08 while pulling our trailer through the Mojave desert, and into Arizona, our A.C. just quit blowing cool air.

Seems that these wires that go into the AC compressor had a not-so-solid connection inside the compressor. When the engine & AC is on you climb under the front of the truck, and can wiggle the wires that plug into the harness and go into the compressor and "Wa La!", the AC clutch engages!

About two weeks ago I was out driving my 05 Cummins Dodge, and the AC started to blow uncooled air. Back in April 08 we had a new AC compressor installed in Flagstaff, Arizon, at Diamond Dodge, and the rest of the trip, we had nice cool AC.

Well, now, 1 year later, and not that many miles since the Arizona trip, it did it a couple weeks ago.

I decided to wiggle the wires to the AC Compressor while the engine/AC was on, and the clutch would intermittently go on and off. Since then the AC has been working.

Anyone else have this problem with their Dodge AC? It's definitely a wiring connection problem, and it is supposed to be an internal connection that can't be fixed, as it is not an area of the compressor that can be gotten into. So Chrysler puts in another Compressor.

Thankfully, I have a no deductible extended warranty since my 05 warranty ran out last August 08, but I'm concerned that there is a problem with a bunch of these 05 AC compressors.

It is not a low R134A refrigerant problem.
Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Of Course I have An Agenda!
(Who Doesn't?)

"Nothing should be said anonymously behind a P.C., that can't be respectfully said in person"

S204STi

Yeah it might be that you have a batch of compressors that just really suck.  It can be a real pain, I know.  We have had a known issue with the tranny cooler lines on Duramax trucks for a couple of years and GM is just now addressing it with a new design, presumably from a new supplier as well.

As long as the extended warranty keeps covering it you may just have to deal with this until they give you a compressor that isn't problematic.

This reminds me of an issue I was having with a Dodge.  The front speakers kept going out.  In fact the little wires that run up to the middle of the cone kept breaking.  Shitty design.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Galaxy

Quote from: R-inge on April 20, 2009, 07:29:36 PM
As long as the extended warranty keeps covering it you may just have to deal with this until they give you a compressor that isn't problematic.

As long as he  has a warrenty that would be some what OK, however nothing is more annoying then having a part replaced five times under warrenty and then all of a sudden you have to pay for it yourself. I would argue that in those circumstances it was never really repaired in the first place but apparently that is often not how it goes.

S204STi

Quote from: Galaxy on April 22, 2009, 04:13:25 AM
As long as he  has a warrenty that would be some what OK, however nothing is more annoying then having a part replaced five times under warrenty and then all of a sudden you have to pay for it yourself. I would argue that in those circumstances it was never really repaired in the first place but apparently that is often not how it goes.

I agree with you, but you end up sort of stuck in the system, know what I mean?