Insurance Against Speeding Tickets

Started by dazzleman, August 11, 2005, 06:19:20 PM

dazzleman

From the NY Post -- August 11, 2005 -- Wierd But True Stories:

Sure, I was speeding, officer ? I'm insured!

That's the word in Sweden, where drivers can now get insurance to protect them against speeding tickets. For an annual fee of $112, the Bisso company covers motorists against three tickets a year.

This is an interesting idea.  Three tickets in a year is a lot, though I pulled it off once, a number of years ago. :lol:

I wonder if this insures against increased premiums due to the tickets.  And I imagine this plan can't do anything to help with the points.

This is sure different from neighboring Finland, where your fine is based upon your income, and well-off people have been fined upwards of $100,000 for speeding.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

If I were wealthy in Sweden, I'd make sure to drive something cheap. With that system, would a cop sooner pull over a Golf or an A8 for going 5 over?

dazzleman

QuoteIf I were wealthy in Sweden, I'd make sure to drive something cheap. With that system, would a cop sooner pull over a Golf or an A8 for going 5 over?
Good point.  The type of car driven could be a clue to the amount of revenue from a ticket in Finland.  Therefore, more expensive cars usually equal greater revenue.

This would be the opposite of the US, where a person driving a POS is more likely to get pulled over than a person driving a nice car.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

footoflead

QuoteIf I were wealthy in Sweden, I'd make sure to drive something cheap. With that system, would a cop sooner pull over a Golf or an A8 for going 5 over?
Good point.  The type of car driven could be a clue to the amount of revenue from a ticket in Finland.  Therefore, more expensive cars usually equal greater revenue.

This would be the opposite of the US, where a person driving a POS is more likely to get pulled over than a person driving a nice car.
Not always...I see this sit. alot..

17 year old going ten over or an middle aged guy going ten over...Who do you thinks gonna get the ticket... ;)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

We need that here.  Now.

And an upgraded package, that covers 6 tickets.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Americans aren't responsible to be privelaged enough to have something like this.

TurboDan

QuoteAmericans aren't responsible to be privelaged enough to have something like this.
Because no one enjoys driving fast in Sweden, right? :rolleyes:

And it's not like you can just do whatever you want or the points you rack up will make you lose your license.  

Raza

Though it's probably not intended for the habitual speeders, but it's good for the people who just drive the speed of traffic, which is roughly 15mph over the limit, as well as people who trip like I do.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I don't think the Safety Squad would approve. It would be condoning the evils of speed. :rolleyes:  

TBR

No, they would promote because if anything people would be more likely to speed and that is what the lawmakers want. More speeders means more tickets which means more revenue.

Pancor

3 speeding tickets in a year?   Yeah, I'd probably need the 6 covered tickets package.     And whadda you do when the years almost over and you've still got 2 free tickets that will be covered?   lol  

giant_mtb

Quote3 speeding tickets in a year?   Yeah, I'd probably need the 6 covered tickets package.     And whadda you do when the years almost over and you've still got 2 free tickets that will be covered?   lol
Speed as much as possible, my friend.  :praise:  

NomisR

They should just have a speed pass type thing for speeding tickets then, instead of actually pulling you over, just deducts credits if they ever catch  you and your insurance company will pay :P  

dazzleman

Quote3 speeding tickets in a year?   Yeah, I'd probably need the 6 covered tickets package.     And whadda you do when the years almost over and you've still got 2 free tickets that will be covered?   lol
Then it's time to really put the lead in your shoe.  You can't let that ticket quota go unused. :lol: