BMW 325i SE Touring

Started by BMWDave, August 11, 2005, 06:29:12 PM

BMWDave

BMW 325i SE Touring  

It's a tough brief. The new 3-Series Touring must offer class-leading practicality and space, and yet still manage to deliver the marque's legendary driving dynamics. Sampled here for the first time in the UK, we find out if the newcomer has what it takes to put the boot into rivals.

This is the fourth-generation version of BMW's lifestyle estate, which first tempted image-conscious family car buyers back in 1988. On sale from 17 September, it will initially be available in either 325i or 320d guises with three specification levels - ES, SE and the new top-of-the-range M Sport.

The 320d will be the big-seller (it accounted for more than 70 per cent of the previous-generation Touring sales), but the 163bhp diesel is already well proven, so here we've taken the wheel of the new 215bhp 325i. This is by no means the end of the line-up. Three more engines will join the range later this year - the petrol 320i and 330i, and the eagerly anticipated 231bhp 330d.

Prices range from ?23,040 to ?33,290, while all models feature a six-speed manual gearbox, run-flat tyres, six air-bags and air-conditioning. SE variants get such niceties as cruise control and parking sensors, while the M Sport versions will have sports seats, firmer suspension and styling enhancements.

But what about the boot? Well, although no longer than the saloon, the Touring is bigger than ever. Access can either be gained by the conventional tailgate, or for smaller loads, by simply opening the separate glass window. Either way, the 460-litre boot is cleverly shaped, and although the rear-wheel-drive layout means that the suspension intrudes significantly, there is plenty of useful extra stowage hidden under the floor.

The seat-folding mechanism is easy to use - the backrest flips down on to the chair base to create a surprisingly flat load bay. However, the 1,385-litre maximum volume compares poorly to most family estates, and is beaten by load-lugging versions of the Mercedes C-Class and Jaguar X-Type.

Further forward, rear seat space is good, but it's the driving environment most buyers will be concerned about. It's a mixture of good and bad - the seating position, build and material quality are excellent, but the design is an acquired taste. In this respect the Touring is no different to the saloon, but the distinctive dashboard is likely to put some potential buyers off.

The 215bhp and 250Nm 2.5-litre straight-six is responsive at low revs, punchy at the top end and has a sporty yet unobtrusive engine note. The 0-60mph sprint is achieved in 7.2 seconds, while there's a top speed of 151mph. But as ever, the engine is only part of this model's driver appeal.

A new bodyshell is 25 per cent stiffer than the outgoing car's, but an average of 15kg lighter. This helps the Touring to feel every bit as agile, well balanced and involving to drive as the saloon.

Steering on the new car is a delight and, as long as you don't opt for larger wheels, the ride is comfortable. Sporting and spacious, the BMW estate does everything we expected of it, and more.
Oliver Marriage

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

The pedals are weird... B)  

mazda6er

QuoteThe pedals are weird... B)
I believe you're looking at the footrest.  ;)

On another note... ugh, wagons.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

nice, but i'd take the coupe when it comes out.

Colonel Cadillac

I wouldn't mind it if this was my mom's next car in a couple of years...

giant_mtb

The gas pedal is similar to the footrest...  ;)  

850CSi

The gas pedal is similar to the footrest...  ;)
Apparently you've never sat in the driver's seat of a BMW...

They've been that way since... God knows when.

850CSi

And BTW I feel sorry for people who drive RHD, because it would really suck to shift with your left, even though the shifter's gear locations are still the same as LHD cars.

mazda6er

QuoteAnd BTW I feel sorry for people who drive RHD, because it would really suck to shift with your left, even though the shifter's gear locations are still the same as LHD cars.
What always pisses me of is when the trannies are set up with the Reverse gear at the high end (i.e. with across from the 5th or 6th gear). Just put it on the left for crying out loud, I don't feel like hitting reverse on the expressway.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteAnd BTW I feel sorry for people who drive RHD, because it would really suck to shift with your left, even though the shifter's gear locations are still the same as LHD cars.
What always pisses me of is when the trannies are set up with the Reverse gear at the high end (i.e. with across from the 5th or 6th gear). Just put it on the left for crying out loud, I don't feel like hitting reverse on the expressway.
Yup, sometimes I worry about that when driving manual.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...