Mercedes E55 AMG Wagon

Started by BMWDave, August 11, 2005, 07:23:26 PM

BMWDave

QuoteA true sleeper, although once the cops figure out what it is they will just have to pressure him to some corners and he'll slow down...

How come some AMG cars never really have good handling?? I mean if they're going to have so much power and speed, couldn't they at least give it some better twisties' hardware?? In this case, the weight bias changed and that's it.? Sure, it raised the g's from .83 to .85, but does that really coincide with the power/speed increase?? Of course not...? <_<? :rolleyes:? (I'm sure I'll get bitched at for this one - but I don't really like Benz at all)
Benz buyers have different priorities than BMW buyers, to them ride and isolation is more important than handling and driver feedback.
But there's a point when so much power with so little handling can become dangerous...
It is nowhere near that level at all...these cars can still handle very well.  Were not talking about putting 604 hp engines in Crown Victorias here.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteWhy would someone buy a car with so much power if they aren't even going to put it to use?  :angry:
I'd like you to meet almost every Ferrari buyer ever.  Have you seen a Ferrari?  Have you seen the driver?  It's either an old man or a young woman.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteWhy would someone buy a car with so much power if they aren't even going to put it to use?  :angry:
I'd like you to meet almost every Ferrari buyer ever.  Have you seen a Ferrari?  Have you seen the driver?  It's either an old man or a young woman.
Yup, and the F1 trannie glued in 'auto' mode  :(  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteWhy would someone buy a car with so much power if they aren't even going to put it to use?  :angry:
Yup, and the F1 trannie glued in 'auto' mode  :(
:lol:  

cawimmer430

Quotewhat a family vehicle.

Wimmer is that what you are getting your future wife?
Nah, too "underpowered".  :P  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

QuoteWhy would someone buy a car with so much power if they aren't even going to put it to use?  :angry:
Because on the Autobahn, the power-handling characteristics of AMG's are a match made in heaven. They're intended as high-speed cruisers and at higher speeds, a slightly vaguer steering is better suited than more precision steering. Magazines here will usually comment on how BMW's are the better overall handlers, but the Mercedes will be easier to control at higher speeds. I've found that cars with vaguer steering are indeed easier to control at higher speeds than cars with a more communicative steering feel. The SLK350 I took on the Autobahn was hard has hell to control once you got past 220 km/h because the steering was so direct and even went its own way if you hit uneven roads. On the other hand, in my 300SE or my dad's 500SL, you feel less tense at higher speeds due to vague steering. It's hard to explain and sounds funny (like "What!?") but in my experience, it's true.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Yes I know.  I saw a Ferrari Enzo being driven by a fat and snobby rich guy.  <_<  

BMWDave

Because on the Autobahn, the power-handling characteristics of AMG's are a match made in heaven. They're intended as high-speed cruisers and at higher speeds, a slightly vaguer steering is better suited than more precision steering. Magazines here will usually comment on how BMW's are the better overall handlers, but the Mercedes will be easier to control at higher speeds. I've found that cars with vaguer steering are indeed easier to control at higher speeds than cars with a more communicative steering feel. The SLK350 I took on the Autobahn was hard has hell to control once you got past 220 km/h because the steering was so direct and even went its own way if you hit uneven roads. On the other hand, in my 300SE or my dad's 500SL, you feel less tense at higher speeds due to vague steering. It's hard to explain and sounds funny (like "What!?") but in my experience, it's true.
I'll try to explain it a different way.  If the steering is direct, then it goes where you want, when you want, a lot quicker than vague steering.  On any car, when you go at high speeds, a slight move of the wheel will translate into a bigger turn than it would at lower speeds.  So very direct steering at high speeds will be a jerky and white knuckle experience as you fight to correct the front wheels so that they stay straight.

In a car with vague steering, you dont need to worry about that.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

I'll try to explain it a different way.  If the steering is direct, then it goes where you want, when you want, a lot quicker than vague steering.  On any car, when you go at high speeds, a slight move of the wheel will translate into a bigger turn than it would at lower speeds.  So very direct steering at high speeds will be a jerky and white knuckle experience as you fight to correct the front wheels so that they stay straight.

well said. I think that's why Caterhams have such a low top speed. That direct steering would kill you.

Submariner

well said. I think that's why Caterhams have such a low top speed. That direct steering would kill you.
The areodynamics aren't to hot either.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

The areodynamics aren't to hot either.
The car weighs 30 pounds...a strong crosswind at 100+ can unsettled a 3000+ pound car, it would blow you off the road in a Caterham.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Oh, and when I'm a weekend dad with weekend kids, I definitely want a car like this to fool ex-wife into thinking I'm responsible so I can get some weekend nookie.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i