Mercedes E55 AMG Wagon

Started by BMWDave, August 11, 2005, 07:23:26 PM

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

BMWDave

QuoteWhat a family vehicle!
BMW is making an M5 wagon also :praise: , although I dont know if that is coming to the US.

2007 Honda S2000

JYODER240

That may be one of the biggest sleepers of all-time. :rockon:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Run Away

That car can do anything.

The only thing keeping it from being perfect is that it's a wagon, not a low slung italian convertable.

Raza

QuoteThat car can do anything.

The only thing keeping it from being perfect is that it's a wagon, not a low slung italian convertable.
:rolleyes:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Catman

Zero to 100 mph: 9.7 sec :o  

Raza

QuoteZero to 100 mph: 9.7 sec :o
That's roughly 1.4 seconds SLOWER than my car*

*gets to 60mph

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

QuoteZero to 100 mph: 9.7 sec :o
That's roughly 1.4 seconds SLOWER than my car*

*gets to 60mph
Sick. :o   All it needs now is some low profile LED blue lights. ;)  

Car Zeus

what a family vehicle.

Wimmer is that what you are getting your future wife?

SVT_Power

Quotewhat a family vehicle.

Wimmer is that what you are getting your future wife?
i think he'll keep it for himself
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

A true sleeper, although once the cops figure out what it is they will just have to pressure him to some corners and he'll slow down...

How come some AMG cars never really have good handling?  I mean if they're going to have so much power and speed, couldn't they at least give it some better twisties' hardware?  In this case, the weight bias changed and that's it.  Sure, it raised the g's from .83 to .85, but does that really coincide with the power/speed increase?  Of course not...  <_<  :rolleyes:  (I'm sure I'll get bitched at for this one - but I don't really like Benz at all)

BMWDave

QuoteA true sleeper, although once the cops figure out what it is they will just have to pressure him to some corners and he'll slow down...

How come some AMG cars never really have good handling?  I mean if they're going to have so much power and speed, couldn't they at least give it some better twisties' hardware?  In this case, the weight bias changed and that's it.  Sure, it raised the g's from .83 to .85, but does that really coincide with the power/speed increase?  Of course not...  <_<  :rolleyes:  (I'm sure I'll get bitched at for this one - but I don't really like Benz at all)
AMG's handle just fine in the twisties, but thats really BMW's area of expertise.  AMG vehicles excel at fast cruising comfort.  They are brutally fast, but at the same time, comfortable for everyday.  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

QuoteA true sleeper, although once the cops figure out what it is they will just have to pressure him to some corners and he'll slow down...

How come some AMG cars never really have good handling?  I mean if they're going to have so much power and speed, couldn't they at least give it some better twisties' hardware?  In this case, the weight bias changed and that's it.  Sure, it raised the g's from .83 to .85, but does that really coincide with the power/speed increase?  Of course not...  <_<  :rolleyes:  (I'm sure I'll get bitched at for this one - but I don't really like Benz at all)
AMG's handle just fine in the twisties, but thats really BMW's area of expertise.  AMG vehicles excel at fast cruising comfort.  They are brutally fast, but at the same time, comfortable for everyday.
But the only sporty part about them is their grunt.  If I had a car that had 470 horses and can do 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, I think I'd want a little more than .85 g's in the limber parts.  It's non-proportional...the sheer power just overpowers the handling of the car, and Benz doesn't do a damn thing about it...

Raza

How come some AMG cars never really have good handling?  I mean if they're going to have so much power and speed, couldn't they at least give it some better twisties' hardware?  In this case, the weight bias changed and that's it.  Sure, it raised the g's from .83 to .85, but does that really coincide with the power/speed increase?  Of course not...  <_<  :rolleyes:  (I'm sure I'll get bitched at for this one - but I don't really like Benz at all)
But the only sporty part about them is their grunt.  If I had a car that had 470 horses and can do 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, I think I'd want a little more than .85 g's in the limber parts.  It's non-proportional...the sheer power just overpowers the handling of the car, and Benz doesn't do a damn thing about it...
Please...

The lateral Gs of an AMG car come down to the skinny (comparatively) tires they put on the back.  They need a bigger footprint to get better grip, that's all.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

Then get better tires. The skidpad measures the tires performance, not the cars overall handling.

And how come the Magnum SRT is nowhere this fast?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

Please...

The lateral Gs of an AMG car come down to the skinny (comparatively) tires they put on the back.  They need a bigger footprint to get better grip, that's all.
So why don't they put on bigger tires?  How lazy are they?  "Let's drop this huge-ass engine in there but not do anything about the handling because we just don't care!"

BMWDave

How come some AMG cars never really have good handling?? I mean if they're going to have so much power and speed, couldn't they at least give it some better twisties' hardware?? In this case, the weight bias changed and that's it.? Sure, it raised the g's from .83 to .85, but does that really coincide with the power/speed increase?? Of course not...? <_<? :rolleyes:? (I'm sure I'll get bitched at for this one - but I don't really like Benz at all)
Please...

So why don't they put on bigger tires?  How lazy are they?  "Let's drop this huge-ass engine in there but not do anything about the handling because we just don't care!"
Take the SL600 and Sl65.  The SL600 manages a faster 0-60 time, despite the huge hp advantage of the SL65.  This is because the tires are the same on both cars, and so the SL600 has a lot more grip suited to its power than an Sl65.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Please...

Take the SL600 and Sl65.  The SL600 manages a faster 0-60 time, despite the huge hp advantage of the SL65.  This is because the tires are the same on both cars, and so the SL600 has a lot more grip suited to its power than an Sl65.
Yeah...so why don't they give their AMG cars some footpads that can actually get some grip with all that stupid power?  (by the way you lost me there)

BMWDave

How come some AMG cars never really have good handling?? I mean if they're going to have so much power and speed, couldn't they at least give it some better twisties' hardware?? In this case, the weight bias changed and that's it.? Sure, it raised the g's from .83 to .85, but does that really coincide with the power/speed increase?? Of course not...? <_<? :rolleyes:? (I'm sure I'll get bitched at for this one - but I don't really like Benz at all)
Please...

Yeah...so why don't they give their AMG cars some footpads that can actually get some grip with all that stupid power?  (by the way you lost me there)
Its a problem, and almost every mag has said that to fully utilize the power of an SL65, one needs to have much fatter tires.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Yeah.  I don't like Benz.

Raza

Expense.  Why bother with grippier tires that cost more to fit when 99.5% of buyers won't even ever find the ESP Off button?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Why would someone buy a car with so much power if they aren't even going to put it to use?  :angry:  

BMWDave

QuoteWhy would someone buy a car with so much power if they aren't even going to put it to use?  :angry:
Welcome to the world of car buyers...not everyone buys what they need in a car ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Which means Mercedes-Benz is overrated.  :angry:  

BMWDave

QuoteWhich means Mercedes-Benz is overrated.  :angry:
Not necessarily...they have great cars, just people dont always use them to their potential ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

I still don't like them...

The styling isn't even close to exciting...the interiors are deffinitely nice, though.  And I still don't like this AMG crap.  <_<  

TBR

Benz buyers have different priorities than BMW buyers, to them ride and isolation is more important than handling and driver feedback.

giant_mtb

Benz buyers have different priorities than BMW buyers, to them ride and isolation is more important than handling and driver feedback.
But there's a point when so much power with so little handling can become dangerous...