Saturn Done!

Started by SVT666, April 28, 2009, 12:55:07 PM

SVT666

GM to shutter Saturn two years ahead of plan
04/27/2009

General Motors previously stated it would continue funding its Saturn brand through the 2012 model year, but an accelerated restructuring plan will cut that relationship short. GM failed to mention when the last GM-sourced Saturn vehicle would roll off the assembly line, but the Detroit automaker confirmed it would be later this year.

In its restructuring plan submitted February 27th, GM assured Saturn dealers and customers funding had been allocated to keep the division up and running through 2011 or the 2012 model year. However, President Obama rejected that viability plan, resulting in further cuts, including the death of the Saturn brand by the end of 2009.

It remains possible Saturn could be sold to another company and continue operating, but the newly-shortened timeframe will undoubtedly put a squeeze on negotiations. ?If a sale of Saturn does not occur, we intend to phase out the Saturn brand by the end of 2009,? GM said in its revised plan today. ?As a result, our current Viability Plan does not comprehend production and sales to dealers of Saturn products beyond 2009.?

GM also revealed on Monday that it plans to cease production of Hummer models by the end of 2009, with all Pontiac models to follow suit by 2010.

2o6

I hope some company or something either finds the funds or buys up the excess resources of these marques. It's really sad to see these marques go..........jobs will be lost.

dazzleman

What a momentous time for the auto industry.

The only one I'll miss is Saab.  I used to hate the old egg-shaped Saabs -- the perfect car for an egghead college professor from Connecticut.  But in the last 10 years, I had grown to like them and even considered buying one.

We can't rely on these zombie companies to create and preserve jobs.  Better to clear them out if they can't make it, and allow new companies to rise from the ashes.  Trying to save these companies is like trying to keep a house standing whose structure has been eaten by termites.  Better to knock it down and start over.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Gotta-Qik-C7

When I was a kid my uncle (Roy Roberts,executive at GM at the time) said he thought Saturn was a big waste of money. I guesse he was rite!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

It might have worked out better, but GM blew the whole Saturn concept, and ended up running like just another dysfunctional GM brand.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

280Z Turbo

I love how Oldsmobile and Saturn were supposed to be "import fighter" brands.

WTF? EVERY CAR YOU SELL SHOULD BE AN IMPORT FIGHTER!

dazzleman

You hit the nail right on the head.

Raza

So, does this mean that Sky Red Lines are going to be cheap on the secondary market?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on April 28, 2009, 02:14:20 PM
So, does this mean that Sky Red Lines are going to be cheap on the secondary market?

They will either become underloved for 30 years until the market picks up like the AMX or they will be the next BMW Z1, relatively speaking.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18525.msg1050849#msg1050849 date=1240949660
I've seen the regular the Sky going for as little as $23,000 CDN brand new.  Not the Red Line, but a Sky nonetheless.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 28, 2009, 02:25:49 PM
I've seen the regular the Sky going for as little as $23,000 CDN brand new.  Not the Red Line, but a Sky nonetheless.

Damn.  The base Sky is 28K here.  That's a pretty good discount. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18525.msg1050849#msg1050849 date=1240949660

Beat me to it.

Perhaps it will be cheap on the primary market. Sounds like a great way to spend a student loan...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18525.msg1050957#msg1050957 date=1240954553
Damn.  The base Sky is 28K here.  That's a pretty good discount. 
Base price here is $33,700 CDN.  So, they are voluntarily giving a $10K discount on them.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza  on April 28, 2009, 02:14:20 PM

I hope so.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!