Porsche Cayenne? With a 2.0L I4? Only if you BUILD YOUR DREAMS!

Started by Laconian, May 04, 2009, 03:06:10 PM

Laconian

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/05/byd-t6-chinese-automaker-readying.html

BYD T6: Chinese Maker Readying Porsche Cayenne SUV Clone with 2.0-Liter Engine!
In any other case, we'd have a hard time believing it, but when you're talking about Chinese automakers of the likes of BYD Auto that has a history of cloning other vehicles such as the Lexus RX-lookalike "S6 SUV" and the Toyota Aygo-esque "F0 minicar", everything is possible, even the creation of a Porsche Cayenne SUV knockoff. The above image of the Porsche Cayenne featuring a photoshoped BYD Auto grille circulated in numerous Chinese sites, but we managed to pinpoint the original scan on a Chinese forum.

We're not entirely sure if the photo is from an official brochure as suggested since there's a possibility that it could be sourced from a car magazine. Either way, while we have no knowledge of the Chinese language, we're presuming that the closing sentences in the article mean that BYD Auto's T6 Cayenne knockoff is planned to be introduced in September 2010 and that it will be equipped with a 2.0-liter engine.

BYD Auto T6 Porsche Cayenne - CarscoopBYD Auto isn't the only Chinese firm that has adopted vehicle cloning as an accepted development strategy. As we saw once again at last month's Shanghai Auto Show, many automakers from China follow this method to create new cars like the Landwind X8 - Mitsubishi Outlander, Great Wall Florid - Scion xA, Lifan 320 - MINI Cooper, Yema SQJ6451 - Subaru Forester and Geely GE - Rolls Royce Phantom.

We'll keep a close eye on the "BYD T6" Cayenne story and if (or when) we find something new, we'll post it up immediately.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colonel Cadillac

Something has to be done about this type of infringement.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

I just looked at that Forester ripoff, among all of the other cars they named, and I am outraged. :rage:

It looks exactly like a real Forester on the outside, but it has a 1.7 liter inline 4.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Oh god.

BYD's cloning seriously detracts from their scientific progress. You can't make a convincing sale on your product (their Hybrid/Battery technology is supposed to be really good) when you have clones like this.

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on May 04, 2009, 04:00:30 PM
I just looked at that Forester ripoff, among all of the other cars they named, and I am outraged. :rage:

It looks exactly like a real Forester on the outside, but it has a 1.7 liter inline 4.
I bet the AT is just as sucky as the original product. :devil:

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CALL_911

:facepalm:

I hope these people get royally fucked doing this shit.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

No offense to anyone here of Chinese ancestry, but:

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THESE BASTARDS!?  :lockedup:

Shameless motherfuckers!  :facepalm:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 04, 2009, 05:44:11 PM
:facepalm:

I hope these people get royally fucked doing this shit.

And that probably won't happen.

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on May 04, 2009, 04:54:34 PM
I bet the AT is just as sucky as the original product. :devil:

I hope you are forced to bathe in acid someday.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on May 04, 2009, 06:40:38 PM
I hope you are forced to bathe in acid someday.

I hope you're forced to lick him clean after.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on May 04, 2009, 03:49:51 PM
Nuke em.

I'm not sure that a China sized crater in the earth is a good idea. I don't like winter, especially the nuclear kind.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 04, 2009, 07:09:55 PM
I'm not sure that a China sized crater in the earth is a good idea. I don't like winter, especially the nuclear kind.

You have a point. Perhaps we should take out strategic government targets, and unleash our non-violent robot army upon the citizens to let them know that they are now living in the 51st state of America.

nickdrinkwater

MX793

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 06, 2009, 12:56:46 PM
Isn't that actually a Cayenne, not the clone?

The image looks like a photochop, but supposedly they are planning on building a Cayenne clone (at least in appearance, the mechanicals will obviously be different) akin to other Chinese knock-offs already on the market.

I'd recommend that companies in other countries start shamelessly copying Chinese products, but then it occured to me that the Chinese really don't have much that actually is a 100% Chinese creation, at least nothing that would be desirable enough to warrant copying.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: MX793 on May 06, 2009, 01:19:09 PM
The image looks like a photochop, but supposedly they are planning on building a Cayenne clone (at least in appearance, the mechanicals will obviously be different) akin to other Chinese knock-offs already on the market.

I'd recommend that companies in other countries start shamelessly copying Chinese products, but then it occured to me that the Chinese really don't have much that actually is a 100% Chinese creation, at least nothing that would be desirable enough to warrant copying.

I highly recommend this video, ignorance and profanity included.  It shows exactly what's wrong with Chinese cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFeQhFnl8uE&feature=related

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on May 06, 2009, 02:13:14 PM
I highly recommend this video, ignorance and profanity included.  It shows exactly what's wrong with Chinese cars.

O2 sensor blew out the tailpipe three times :rockon:

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on May 06, 2009, 02:13:14 PM

To be fair, they're getting much better.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on May 04, 2009, 04:00:30 PM

Cool!

In 15 years, when Chinese cars are good, you guys are going to look like retards, just like the people who were overly enthusiastic about the poor quality of Japanese and Korean cars 40 and 20 years ago.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Quote from: Psilos on May 07, 2009, 12:25:53 AM
Cool!

In 15 years, when Chinese cars are good, you guys are going to look like retards, just like the people who were overly enthusiastic about the poor quality of Japanese and Korean cars 40 and 20 years ago.
Oh come on, you have to admit the hubris of these Chinese copycats is pure comedy gold.

China is the land overflowing with knockoffs.  Knock offs of every name brand thing can be found literally everywhere in China.  Go the an electronics store, and you'll see all kinds of knockoffs of various sought after electronics, such as Playstation 3's and Apple Iphones.  Go to a less than superb clothing store and you'll see all kinds of knockoffs of Nike shoes, various designer clothing etc etc.  As such the attitudes towards imitation products are different from say America or Europe.  I'll tell you something that will shock many of you guys, and many of you won't understand this mentality.  The Chinese are extremely proud of their knockoffs.  Making a good knockoff, or a nearly as good knockoff is probably the greatest source of pride for the person who made it.  When the Chinese see a knockoff they don't think "Oh no, this is so wrong" instead they think, "damn we almost nailed it."  So while knockoffs in America are sold on street corners by shady individuals, the Chinese actively flaunt their knockoffs, put them in autoshows to show the world how closely they have copied.

There is actually an rather interesting reason why.  The vast majority of consumer products such as the Apple Iphone or Playstation 3 or your nice 300 dollar Coach handbag are actually made in China anyway, usually for FAR FAR less cost than they sell for.  The majority of what you are actually paying for is just the label, and since it's the Chinese that are screwing and stitching the darn overpriced things together, they know that fact better than anyone.  To make matters worse, alot of these legit products are not sold in China at all.  Mostly because parent companies feel that the Chinese don't have enough buying power for these higher end products (which is generally true).  So ironically while all Playstation 3's are made in China,  Sony doesn't officially sell Playstation 3 in China, they are all smuggled back into China (rather ironic).  Same deal with the Xbox 360. The Apple Iphone was a similar situation, and until a few years ago Ipods were not sold in China either, even though they were all made in China.   Even products that now finally are sold in China are sold at far higher preminums than compared to the US.  So a computer or Ipod that is made in China actually costs more to buy in China than here.  So basically you have alot of items that are in extremely high demand because they are either not available or too expensive, and at the same time you have millions of Chinese people walking around who know exactly how to make these said things themselves because it's their job every day to make the darn things. 

So who's making these knockoffs?  It's the same people that were/are making the real deal.  When you have a bunch of people with bit and pieces of information on how to build something, it doesn't take long before they get together and try to make it themselves.  Often times they are making it in the same factories and tools that made the legit products, just running during off hours.  So that Nike shoe that costs $90 but only uses $1 worth of raw materials?  They are going to be making their own version for $1.50.  But obviously they don't have the same resources as the full company, and often they don't have the same parts, so often times they make compromises in their DIY projects.  That's where the pride of making a good copy comes in, which is something that no one will understand outside of China.  Their goal and ambition is to make something on their own that is exactly the same as what they make in the big factories.  Now why don't they try to innovate?  Why don't they try to make their own unique product?  Remember you are talking about people that have made Nike shoes every single day of their life for the past 10 years.  They learned how to make shoes from making Nike shoes.  So when it comes time for them to go independent, they will do what they've learned, what they've trained for.  There is an emotional element as well.  They've been making Nikes for the foreigners for as long as they can remember.  Each shoe ends up selling for more than their monthly salary, so they were precious objects always out of reach even though they would hold hundreds in their own hands every day.  They have been making these things for the others for decades, now they can finally try to make the exact same thing for themselves. 

Add those emotions to the fact that the foreign companies usually don't even sell their product in China and pretty much don't care and don't push for any control, and the fact that the Chinese government is afraid to poke the goose that's laying the golden eggs, you pretty much have a society that doesn't really think about knockoffs being massive violations of patents in some far away country.  When you are that young Chinese engineer who has troubleshot your 4506th Iphone and you've assembled and disassembled that machine more times than any man alive and you get the aspirations to try to make your own, a patient filed in a distant country is really the last thing on your mind.

Colonel Cadillac

Come to think of it, when I was in Thailand I remember the real iPod's and such were more expensive than in the United States. I purchased a knock-off iPod that was smaller than the then iPod mini and I thought it was pretty cool for a month or two. The operating system was horrendous however. If I had 100 songs and wanted to hear the 100th song, I would have to push the next button 100 times.

I also bought a few silk pillow cases, silk boxers, and silk pajamas all for around $15. Polo shirts were $3 each, so I bought 5 of those but they all quickly deteriorated. Knock-offs aren't so bad when you're the consumer.

ifcar

565, thanks for that perspective. Quite interesting.

However, the issue is that some of the knockoff companies are interested in exporting to the West, where knockoffs are not as respected by either customers or courts. To be taken seriously in U.S. or European market, you can't really be a knockoff vendor.

giant_mtb

Quote from: ifcar on May 07, 2009, 05:37:24 AM
565, thanks for that perspective. Quite interesting.

However, the issue is that some of the knockoff companies are interested in exporting to the West, where knockoffs are not as respected by either customers or courts. To be taken seriously in U.S. or European market, you can't really be a knockoff vendor.

I like the knockoffs that one can find in any major city's Chinatown, but for something like a car, you're absolutely right.  The potentially crappy build quality and the possibility it will deteriorate before my eyes is not worth the thousands of dollars I'd pay for it.

Laconian

The Korean and Japanese car companies put first things first. Start out with an economy car. Work to gain acceptance in that market. Own the market. Move up a little, repeat. The Chinese aren't content with that style of strategic iterative improvement. The Chinese are buying "luxury" brands, inventing stupid new words, and just copying luxury car designs outright. Their industry wants to be in the top echelons NOW.

I know we are told that we'll rue the day we mocked Chinese cars as we did with Japan and Korea, but why is it considered inevitable that the Chinese car industry will follow the model set by its successful neighbors? Just because it's an Asian country? Why didn't Yugo turn into the next FIAT? It's so close to Italy!

ifcar

There are lots of Chinese economy cars...

And China is considered more likely to produce a strong auto industry than Yugoslavia because it's already a manufacturing powerhouse and a wealthy and powerful country. There is no comparison. Korea was an anomaly that succeeded, but it would be astonishing if China couldn't do anything with its vast resources.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on May 07, 2009, 10:27:00 AM
There are lots of Chinese economy cars...

And China is considered more likely to produce a strong auto industry than Yugoslavia because it's already a manufacturing powerhouse and a wealthy and powerful country. There is no comparison. Korea was an anomaly that succeeded, but it would be astonishing if China couldn't do anything with its vast resources.

Korea has an amazing industrial sector.  Hyundai owns just about everything, and they've been good at doing just about everything.  They didn't understand the Western car market, so they had to play some catch up.  But once they figured out the formula is when they started making cars good enough that they could confidently tack a 10-year warranty onto them.