COUNTDOWN: Audi Prepares for Launch of New TT

Started by BMWDave, August 11, 2005, 09:31:46 PM

BMWDave

A vision of the redesigned Audi TT

COUNTDOWN: Audi Prepares for Launch of New TT
Date Posted 08-11-2005

INGOLSTADT, Germany ? Audi's next-generation TT is undergoing extensive testing in preparation for a launch next spring.

The car is longer and wider than the current model, so it'll be roomier inside, and it features Audi's new family "face" with the now familiar deep grille. Styling is more angular than the current rounded model, with sharply sculpted side panels.

Both roadster and coupe versions of the new TT are expected to debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March next year. The car will feature new engines, with the 1.8-liter, four-cylinder engine being replaced by the 2.0-liter turbo power plant from the VW Golf GTI. The V6 TT will have the same 3.2-liter V6 as at present, but mated to the two-pedal DSG transmission on top-line models.

Meanwhile, the final versions of the existing TT are getting a power boost. And European distributors, at least, are offering the upgraded models at the same prices as the outgoing ones. U.S. on-sale dates for the upgraded versions have not yet been announced.

At the entry point to the range, the TT Roadster will now feature a 163-horsepower version of the 1.8-liter turbo, up from 150 hp. The additional power reduces its 0-to-60-mph acceleration time to 8.2 seconds. Front-drive TT Coupe and quattro 4WD coupe and roadster models will now feature a 190-hp version of the turbo power plant, up from 180 hp.

What this means to you: The original TT is already a classic ? and there might be some run-out bargains. Or should you wait for the new model? Tough call!

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

850CSi

Whoever made that rendition could have been more creative than to stick E46 headlights on something very similar to an A4 cabrio...

mazda6er

QuoteWhoever made that rendition could have been more creative than to stick E46 headlights on something very similar to an A4 cabrio...
Lazy bastards.  :lol:

Anyway, did Audi really have to give the TT that nose too? On the sedans it's alright, but a sports/sporty car should not look like a rhinoplasty candidate.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

JYODER240

I'd like to see an AWD Twin-turbo V6 model putting out close to 400hp. It would be something I would consider for my next car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

850CSi

My main concern is that they throw out the transverse layout with the Haldex system.

giant_mtb

I hope it doesn't look like that.  What the hell happened to the bubbly roundness of it?  :angry:  B)  

BMWDave

QuoteWhoever made that rendition could have been more creative than to stick E46 headlights on something very similar to an A4 cabrio...
Lazy bastards.  :lol:

Anyway, did Audi really have to give the TT that nose too? On the sedans it's alright, but a sports/sporty car should not look like a rhinoplasty candidate.
I think all of Audi's cars are getting it...its their new corporate face, and it will eventually make it to every model.

The Le Mans sports car they are producing based on the Gallardo has that type of grille, and it looks great!  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

It's nice, but it doesn't look like a TT. In this pic, it could basically be a shorter A4 cabrio. Not too thrilling.  

BMWDave

QuoteIt's nice, but it doesn't look like a TT. In this pic, it could basically be a shorter A4 cabrio. Not too thrilling.
I agree, I am not impressed with the vehicle in the picture.

Look how good the Audi Corporate Grille looks on this sports car:

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteMy main concern is that they throw out the transverse layout with the Haldex system.
Won't happen.  It's still going to be based off the Golf platform, right?  

And whoever made that rendition needs his ass beaten down by angry Germans.  That car is ugly, and if the TT replacement looks like that, they won't sell one.  The current TT has so much poise and style that even the most hardcore enthusiasts wouldn't mind owning one (I've actually contemplated it often, trying to rationalize to myself even though it's not a better car than the 350Z).  It is fun to drive, but not nearly as its competition--its stylish and artful design is the meal ticket.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

QuoteMy main concern is that they throw out the transverse layout with the Haldex system.
Won't happen.  It's still going to be based off the Golf platform, right?
I don't know...

They said it's going to be a bigger car, so might they base it on something else?

Catman

QuoteI'd like to see an AWD Twin-turbo V6 model putting out close to 400hp. It would be something I would consider for my next car.
400hp is not enough.  600hp and I might consider it.

Raghavan

and they STILL had to use a Haldex system. :rolleyes: :angry: