Wheel Gap.........FAIL

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, May 09, 2009, 07:38:09 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

I just can't wrap my head around this, why is it that so few automakers are capable of properly grasping this concept. Maybe it's just me, but wheel gap plays a HUGE role in how a car looks. Something as simple as the gap between the top of the wheel and the wheel arch can take define a cars entire character(when all else is created equal).

It seems that the germans are much better at this and have a firm grasp on the concept. GM seems to be by far the worst offender from what i can see. I stopped by my local GM/Cadi dealer to check out a red camaro they had sitting out front. It was a 2lt V6(msrp of 28K, 8K dealer markup  :rolleyes:). While a few others were gushing over the car i couldn't help but notice that I COULD STICK MY FUCKING HEAD between the tire and the rear wheel arch. This to me is absolutely unacceptable. Sure, you can always lower the car but why should i have to spend several hundred dollars in parts and a equal amount in labor just to correct something that the automaker should have done in the first place. Why is it that when i see a early 2000 325 sedan that it looks low and tight from the factory and a performance car like the camaro looks like a 4x4 pickup. Bullshit.
/end rant.

Well I actually hate how 2000 325 sedan's look because of that wheel gap.  The wheel has to go somewhere when the suspension moves, so in the case of BMW and all cars with small wheel gaps, the wheel goes into the fender, which means by definition the fender has to extend farther over the the wheels.  Which is why when you drive behind a BMW 325, it looks like the track is way way too narrow for the body.  That just drives me crazy. 

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

I like wheel gap as well. Cars with virtually no wheel gap look unbalanced.

ifcar

With the Camaro, maybe it's to leave room for huge wheels in higher-end models.

Eye of the Tiger

Changed my mind. I no longer like wheel gap.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

I think it's funny when people spend $4k on coilovers just to get that perfect wheel gap.  Then they stick something in the trunk and now it's too small, so that the gap on the sides is disproportionately large.  Kinda like the car in Sportyaccordy's sig pic. :lol:

r0tor

Quote from: 565 on May 09, 2009, 08:15:11 PM
Well I actually hate how 2000 325 sedan's look because of that wheel gap.  The wheel has to go somewhere when the suspension moves, so in the case of BMW and all cars with small wheel gaps, the wheel goes into the fender, which means by definition the fender has to extend farther over the the wheels.  Which is why when you drive behind a BMW 325, it looks like the track is way way too narrow for the body.  That just drives me crazy. 

by friends 06 325i has the sport package on which widens the rears to 255's... i love that damn car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: 565 on May 09, 2009, 08:15:11 PM

Um, the fender is supposed to envelop the wheel and ideally should be wider than the wheels.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

I'm not a fan of them myself. And the Germans do a  much better job of getting it right. The new trucks these days are worse. The gap between the tire and bed is 2-3 times bigger than what it needs to be. And then they don't even black it out and just keep it the same color as the rest of the truck so it makes it show up even more.

Quote from: MX793 on May 09, 2009, 09:41:12 PM
Um, the fender is supposed to envelop the wheel and ideally should be wider than the wheels.

I dunno I just don't like that look from the back.  Like for example my Z06 has a large amount of fender gap.  On the upside the tires completely push out to the edge of the car,  I mean like completely flush. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Onslaught on May 10, 2009, 06:19:23 AM
I'm not a fan of them myself. And the Germans do a  much better job of getting it right. The new trucks these days are worse. The gap between the tire and bed is 2-3 times bigger than what it needs to be. And then they don't even black it out and just keep it the same color as the rest of the truck so it makes it show up even more.

I think for trucks it's actually needed.  If you're putting thousands of pounds of weight on the back of your truck, whether it's in the bed or on a hitch, you're going to need some play in the suspension so that when the weight comes down on the truck, it isn't just going to bottom out.

nickdrinkwater

It's not just a GM thing.  Lots of cars have massive arches so that they look good in press photos with 19s.  However, the vast majority of people don't buy their car with 19s, so the car looks underwheeled in most cases.  Prime examples: Jaguar XF, Vauxhall Insignia.

MX793

Quote from: 565 on May 10, 2009, 08:19:27 AM
I dunno I just don't like that look from the back.  Like for example my Z06 has a large amount of fender gap.  On the upside the tires completely push out to the edge of the car,  I mean like completely flush. 

My car is the same way (the lower half of the tire actually protrudes very slightly because the body narrows a bit as you approach the bottom of the car), and the result is that my tires fling road crap all over the sides of the car when the roads are wet.  Plus, the outside edge of the fender where the metal is rolled under gets all chipped from stones and then starts to rust.  I will admit that it does look pretty cool when the tires are pushed right out to the edges of the car and I wouldn't want the tires sunk in 3 inches, but I don't mind if the fender is an inch beyond the tire because it allows it to do its job.  I mean, do motorcycles have fenders that are narrower than the tires?  Do race cars (open-wheels excluded)?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 10, 2009, 08:40:39 AM
It's not just a GM thing.  Lots of cars have massive arches so that they look good in press photos with 19s.  However, the vast majority of people don't buy their car with 19s, so the car looks underwheeled in most cases.  Prime examples: Jaguar XF, Vauxhall Insignia.

Typically, when a manufacturer offers multiple wheel sizes for a vehicle, the overall diameter of the tire is the same (give or take maybe a millimeter) for all wheel sizes so that they don't have multiple speedometer calibrations depending on wheel size ordered.  If a car offers wheels ranging from 17" to 19" and the 17s have a lot of wheel gap, so will the the 19s.
Needs more Jiggawatts

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: MX793 on May 10, 2009, 08:44:08 AM
Typically, when a manufacturer offers multiple wheel sizes for a vehicle, the overall diameter of the tire is the same (give or take maybe a millimeter) for all wheel sizes so that they don't have multiple speedometer calibrations depending on wheel size ordered.  If a car offers wheels ranging from 17" to 19" and the 17s have a lot of wheel gap, so will the the 19s.

I guess I'm thinking more of the effect caused by rim diameter/tyre profile, which has the same illusion.

E.g.

and

VS

and

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 10, 2009, 08:31:20 AM
I think for trucks it's actually needed.  If you're putting thousands of pounds of weight on the back of your truck, whether it's in the bed or on a hitch, you're going to need some play in the suspension so that when the weight comes down on the truck, it isn't just going to bottom out.

It has to have more than a car for sure. But the last few trucks by all brands have way more than they could ever need. The trucks from the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's didn't have enough room to put a cow in between the tire and the bed side. The ones now do and it looks like shit.

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on May 10, 2009, 11:45:51 AM
It has to have more than a car for sure. But the last few trucks by all brands have way more than they could ever need. The trucks from the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's didn't have enough room to put a cow in between the tire and the bed side. The ones now do and it looks like shit.

Especially the latest GM trucks.  Fords don't see to be quite as bad.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Onslaught

Quote from: MX793 on May 10, 2009, 11:47:51 AM
Especially the latest GM trucks.  Fords don't see to be quite as bad.
If they would just black out the inside of the bed so you didn't see paint making the gap look ever bigger it would help some. But in the end they still look like ass.

When I put a bed side on at work these days I undercoat all those gaps to make them look better. So far all the people have liked what it looks like more. I'll be fucked if someone isn't a fan one day.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 09, 2009, 07:38:09 PM
I stopped by my local GM/Cadi dealer to check out a red camaro they had sitting out front. It was a 2lt V6(msrp of 28K, 8K dealer markup  :rolleyes:). .
/end rant.
WTF! 36k for the V6! How much of a mark up will the SS have! BTW I hate too much wheel gap also.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

hey, when 3/4 of your product line is ubershit and everyone is avoiding them because of bankruptcy - GM dealers need to make a profit somehow... -shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Speed_Racer

Worst offender:

In person it looks even more ridiculous.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Speed_Racer on May 11, 2009, 07:41:04 AM
Worst offender:

In person it looks even more ridiculous.
That front bumper looks Huge!

SVT666

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on May 11, 2009, 09:38:39 AM
That front bumper looks Huge!
That's because it is.  It's the biggest bumper ever fitted to a production pickup truck.

giant_mtb

I definitely agree with you on that one...it seems to be much in excess these days. :mask:

ChrisV

On some cars, like the Camaro, the designers designed the car lower and tighter gapped, but bumper regulations make it so it has to sit taller, factory. They KNOW that many end users will lower it, and they give them room to do so. If they didn't have room to lower it, the gap would be proportional, but it woudl have 4x4 underbody clearance.

Personally, i can't wait to install my $200 worth of H&R lowering springs to get rid of some of the unacceptable gap on my BMW. I wish I could afford coilovers and go this low:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Onslaught

I don't think BMW's have "unacceptable" gaps. They look better than just about any cars in stock form. Too bad most of the new ones are so ugly.

Gotta-Qik-C7

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on May 11, 2009, 06:27:00 PM
I don't think BMW's have "unacceptable" gaps. They look better than just about any cars in stock form. Too bad most of the new ones are so ugly.

Look at the 4x4 gap up front on mine:

I'm dropping the front 2" and the rear 1.3"
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

I think the gap on your car is pretty near perfect.  There is a reason why lowering springs are the #1 mod on Mustangs.  This is a 4x4 gap: