Digital Odometers

Started by 2o6, May 13, 2009, 05:20:34 PM

2o6

If your gauge cluster w/ a digital odometer stops working and you have to replace it, how would you go about setting the odometer so it's correct?

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2009, 05:20:34 PM
If your gauge cluster w/ a digital odometer stops working and you have to replace it, how would you go about setting the odometer so it's correct?

Usually the IPC is either sent off for repair, in which case the repair center either ships you a new IPC with the correct mileage programmed already or repair the existing IPC, or in some rare cases the shop replacing the IPC can reset the odometer, but this is not common.

the Teuton

Isn't the mileage programmed into the ECU in a lot of them?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on May 13, 2009, 08:35:56 PM
Isn't the mileage programmed into the ECU in a lot of them?

Possibly.  Depends on the car.  In most GM vehicles it's stored in the IPC, in a very few it's in the Body Control Module, or both.  I can't think of a single GM car that stores it in the PCM, but that doesn't mean that others don't do it that way.

SVT_Power

Ha this happened on the explorer. The guy didn't expect to have to replace the whole dash so he didn't write it down so in the end he just punched in close to what he remembered and it was relatively close (i think it was off by somewhere between 1000-2000 kms)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

VTEC_Inside

I came across an 2004 Acura EL that had its cluster replaced.

The only indication was a sticker on the drivers door jamb stating who, where, and when the cluster was replaced and at what mileage.

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...