Little something a friend of mine picked up...

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 16, 2009, 06:32:04 PM

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 01:51:13 PM
That's all I'm saying.  Seconds later, everyone's nailing me to this giant plus sign and sticking a spear in my side.

lawl

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 01:54:03 PM
Although, according to Clarkson, at the time of the NSX's death, there had not been a single VTEC failure.  That's pretty impressive. 

I also remember reading that something like 75-80% of all Porsches ever sold were still on the road today.  That's also impressive.

I thought the Canuck currency was close to ours?  (What do you call it btw?  Dollars, or ???)

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 01:51:13 PM
That's all I'm saying.  Seconds later, everyone's nailing me to this giant plus sign and sticking a spear in my side.

Yeah, I get this question all the time

Them: Nice car, what is it

Me:  a Lotus

Them: Who makes a Lotus?

Me:  Uh.. Lotus..

Them:  Oh..

But just looking at the car, the NSX turns more heads than a Porsche.  Only thing that Porsche makes that would turn more heads than a NSX would probably be a Carrera GT.

NomisR

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 19, 2009, 02:00:19 PM
Two master including the original Monel metal key:

The Valet key, and one of the original remotes (I dunno if they came with two or not)

NSX never came with these keys.  Unless it's only available for the first model year.  The last NSX model still has the same key and remote as my RSX.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on May 19, 2009, 02:13:21 PM
I thought the Canuck currency was close to ours?  (What do you call it btw?  Dollars, or ???)

The CAD is down to about 86 cents spot.  But the markets are different, so you can't go by exchange rates if you want to ascertain value.

And yes, they do call them dollars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 19, 2009, 02:00:19 PM
Two master including the original Monel metal key:

The Valet key, and one of the original remotes (I dunno if they came with two or not)

Interesting.  I have three keys as well (two remote switchblades and a standard laser cut), I just didn't expect it to be the same way with an older car. 

That's a cool looking key.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: NomisR on May 19, 2009, 02:24:39 PM
NSX never came with these keys.  Unless it's only available for the first model year.  The last NSX model still has the same key and remote as my RSX.

I think the pre-facelift cars came with them. The fixed-headlight cars have the cheap Acura fob and the normal key.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 01:43:26 PM
Doubt it. 

"An NSX?  Oh, my son/daughter has an RSX.  Looks a little different though."

I meant in the flesh; not in dropping names.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 19, 2009, 02:48:32 PM
I meant in the flesh; not in dropping names.

It works in person too.  As soon as you say what it is, people will immediately associate it with whatever Acura they know.

No one is going to see it, ask you about it, and say "Oh, it's an NSX?  I had a poster of a Vigor on my bedroom wall as a kid!"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: NomisR on May 19, 2009, 02:24:39 PM

It did indeed come with that key right up until 1997 I believe when they added the transponder system. That key being all metal didn't allow for the chip so they switched to the generic plastic ones.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

NomisR

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 19, 2009, 02:41:36 PM
I think the pre-facelift cars came with them. The fixed-headlight cars have the cheap Acura fob and the normal key.

Yeah, you're right.  The pre disabler cars had those.  Damn regulations, the old key looks so much sexier.

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on May 19, 2009, 02:22:37 PM
Yeah, I get this question all the time

Them: Nice car, what is it

Me:  a Lotus

Them: Who makes a Lotus?

Me:  Uh.. Lotus..

Them:  Oh..

But just looking at the car, the NSX turns more heads than a Porsche.  Only thing that Porsche makes that would turn more heads than a NSX would probably be a Carrera GT.

The salesman at the Ford dealership didn't even know there was an SVT Focus.  That's the worst experience I've ever had with people not knowing what my car is.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 02:57:09 PM
It works in person too.  As soon as you say what it is, people will immediately associate it with whatever Acura they know.

No one is going to see it, ask you about it, and say "Oh, it's an NSX?  I had a poster of a Vigor on my bedroom wall as a kid!"

Does the likelihood that people associate the R32, GTI, et al. with the Beetle and other emasculated VW cars make them any less impressive?

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 19, 2009, 03:33:29 PM
Does the likelihood that people associate the R32, GTI, et al. with the Beetle and other emasculated VW cars make them any less impressive?

I'm not saying it takes away anything from the car, or anything away from how it impresses people who know what it is (although the British seem very image conscious, from what I can tell), I'm just saying that with people who do not know what an NSX is or why it is a special car will associate it with run-of-the-mill Acuras. 

And yes, if someone associates all VWs with the New Beetle, it would make anything they make less impressive to that person.  However, people tend to remember the original Beetle or those vans. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18674.msg1063803#msg1063803 date=1242760998
Sure, until people figure out it's an Acura. 
I'm not so sure. I was at the local auto show this spring in Charlotte. They say it's the largest auto show in the world but I can't confirm this myself. All I see are Mustangs and other old 60's cars.
Anyway, one R1 FD RX-7 was at the show and it had the biggest crowds around it of any car. None knew what it was for the most part. And when they found out it was a Mazda they still pulled their
wangs out and jerked off. So if a simple little Mazda can get people going an Acura can do the same.

And I don't mean to offend anyone but I personally don't think Porsche is very exclusive. It's the poor mans exotic sports car. A car almost needs to come from Italy and end in "I" to be really exclusive.
Sure some others can fit the bill too but you get the idea.

I still love Porsche by the way. And I'm way too poor to have a good one.

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 19, 2009, 03:22:31 PM
The salesman at the Ford dealership didn't even know there was an SVT Focus.  That's the worst experience I've ever had with people not knowing what my car is.
I went to a Mazda dealer to look at an RX-8. The sales person took me over to the Mazdaspeed Protege. I told him that this was a Protege and not an RX-8. I then took him over to the RX-8 and asked him how many cylinders it had. He didn't know  :banghead:

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 03:39:23 PM
I'm not saying it takes away anything from the car, or anything away from how it impresses people who know what it is (although the British seem very image conscious, from what I can tell), I'm just saying that with people who do not know what an NSX is or why it is a special car will associate it with run-of-the-mill Acuras. 

And yes, if someone associates all VWs with the New Beetle, it would make anything they make less impressive to that person.  However, people tend to remember the original Beetle or those vans. 

I see what you're saying. But I think most people's reaction would be "cool, I didn't know Acura made cars like this" or "cool, this must be like the Corvette of Acuras" or something like that. It still looks like a special car, regardless of what brand it's sold under.

Raza

Yes, but you were at an auto show.  People there obviously liked cars, even if they didn't know what exactly the RX-7 was.  I'm talking about curbside appeal.

And you're entitled to your opinion on Porsche.  I don't believe on image it can compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini either (especially not when their top cars are still 911 based), but I don't think they're the "poor man's" anything.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on May 19, 2009, 03:47:30 PM
I went to a Mazda dealer to look at an RX-8. The sales person took me over to the Mazdaspeed Protege. I told him that this was a Protege and not an RX-8. I then took him over to the RX-8 and asked him how many cylinders it had. He didn't know  :banghead:

That's the most awesome dealership fail story I've recently heard! :clap:

Onslaught

Thing is most people think Acura's are nice.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on May 19, 2009, 03:51:41 PM
Thing is most people think Acura's are nice.

The same way Volvos and Saabs are nice, I bet.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18674.msg1064066#msg1064066 date=1242769993
The same way Volvos and Saabs are nice, I bet.
I don't anyone who thinks that!

Most people I know put Acura with Lexus and BMW.

Quote from: Payman on May 19, 2009, 01:43:41 PM
Did a quick check on Auto Trader. Cheapest NSX there is a 1991 with 91,000 kms for $36,900. I can't think of another car, short of a Ferrari, that's held its value so well.

MKIV Supra Turbo

Edit:  Teuton beat me to it.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 03:49:34 PM
Yes, but you were at an auto show.  People there obviously liked cars, even if they didn't know what exactly the RX-7 was.  I'm talking about curbside appeal.

If you're talking about curbside appeal, the NSX would draw more attention than a 911.  The only Porsche that would draw more attention is a Carrera GT.  Everything else is mostly ignored.  At least in CA anyways.  Well, actually, maybe a 911 GT3 or GT2 but that'll only attract the enthusiasts.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 03:39:23 PM

People who know anything about Acura know about the NSX.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on May 19, 2009, 04:00:03 PM
I don't anyone who thinks that!

Most people I know put Acura with Lexus and BMW.

Wow.  People are dumber than I thought.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on May 19, 2009, 04:25:20 PM
If you're talking about curbside appeal, the NSX would draw more attention than a 911.  The only Porsche that would draw more attention is a Carrera GT.  Everything else is mostly ignored.  At least in CA anyways.  Well, actually, maybe a 911 GT3 or GT2 but that'll only attract the enthusiasts.

LA is a little different from the rest of the country.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18674.msg1064280#msg1064280 date=1242788955
Wow.  People are dumber than I thought.
Hell yes they are.

Xer0

You two need to start a "lost faith in humanity" club already  :lol:

Onslaught

I can't depend on anyone who joins it. I have no faith in them at all.