Little something a friend of mine picked up...

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 16, 2009, 06:32:04 PM

MX793

Figures I've seen for early 90s NSXs put them around 5.5 to 60 and a 13.9 1/4 mile.  That's about on par with an LT1 Corvette or Porsche 911 of that vintage and a few ticks quicker than a pricier Ferrari 348.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Quote from: MX793 on May 17, 2009, 04:28:14 PM
Figures I've seen for early 90s NSXs put them around 5.5 to 60 and a 13.9 1/4 mile.  That's about on par with an LT1 Corvette or Porsche 911 of that vintage and a few ticks quicker than a pricier Ferrari 348.

Everyone talks about how it's faster than a 348,  sure that's true and all, but the fact is the 348 wasn't all that fast.  We have to look at the car against the entire competition, not just one car.  Like you said, it's about on par with an LT-1 Vette, which happened to cost alot less.  The NSX was also about on par with the 300ZX turbo, which was also released the same time (actually a few months ahead of the NSX in the states), and that also cost less.  And by the time the FD RX-7, Mitsu VR-4, and ultimately the MKIV Supra rolled around in just a couple of years, the NSX was certainly nothing special in outright speed especially in comparison to the rest of the field.  Look at all these cars trapping at ~100mph, or in the case of the Supra, much beyond.  The NSX was priced closer to a ZR-1 or Viper than these cars, and it certainly didn't have that kind of speed.

http://www.300zx.cl/ga3/300zx3/images/car3005.jpg

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 565 on May 17, 2009, 06:33:35 PM
Everyone talks about how it's faster than a 348,  sure that's true and all, but the fact is the 348 wasn't all that fast.  We have to look at the car against the entire competition, not just one car.  Like you said, it's about on par with an LT-1 Vette, which happened to cost alot less.  The NSX was also about on par with the 300ZX turbo, which was also released the same time (actually a few months ahead of the NSX in the states), and that also cost less.  And by the time the FD RX-7, Mitsu VR-4, and ultimately the MKIV Supra rolled around in just a couple of years, the NSX was certainly nothing special in outright speed especially in comparison to the rest of the field.  Look at all these cars trapping at ~100mph, or in the case of the Supra, much beyond.  The NSX was priced closer to a ZR-1 or Viper than these cars, and it certainly didn't have that kind of speed.

Perhaps a better comparison would be a Timex vs a Rolex. Anyone that can't appreciate what makes a Rolex a lot more expensive would perceive the Rolex to be a waste of money, I mean they both tell time right?
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Onslaught

One thing it had over MOST of these cars is reliability and it held it value better.

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 17, 2009, 03:52:23 PM
I'll agree that its not that fast in a straight line by todays standards. The fact that all but three of the cars in your list are FWD is pretty shocking indeed considering the numbers.

However, I have to disagree that it wasn't when it was released. When it came out it outdid a 348, 355, and is still faster around a track than some cars with 100hp+ advantage.

I think the ultimate point is being missed here though. If the goal was a drag car he could have bought one for a lot cheaper. Whether or not any of those cars could keep up is irrelevant to the driving experience provided by the NSX, not to mention the build quality and exclusivity.

Oh it's not that I don't think it's not a good car.  I just wanted to point out that in 20 years time, straightline speed has improved to the point that many many affordable cars (some of them dedicated family sedans) can match the NSX's straightline performance.  Everyone likes to talk about how the 1960s was the golden era for performance, but I think right now (or at least a few years ago) was really the peak of power in the hands of regular people.

I still maintain that even at the time of it's release, it's straightline speed wasn't that impressive.  I mean I know because I remember at the time of its release, auto journalists weren't that impressed with the straightline speed considering it's price.  I was pretty young at the time of the NSX's release and it was also when I first got into cars, so I read car reviews like the bible.  Like you said the NSX was never a straightline speed car.

Also I will say something that will shock alot of you, but on the track the NSX wasn't as fast as everyone remembers it to be.  Mostly people were impressed more by it's character than it's actual speed.  In fact I don't recall ever reading a magazine comparo from that time where the NSX managed to out lap the Supra Turbo.

In fact I do remember an article from 1990, the year of the NSX's release when the NSX was actually outlapped by the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4.

In fact here is that part of the article.

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 17, 2009, 06:39:04 PM
Perhaps a better comparison would be a Timex vs a Rolex. Anyone that can't appreciate what makes a Rolex a lot more expensive would perceive the Rolex to be a waste of money, I mean they both tell time right?

Actually that is not a good comparison.  A Timex vs Rolex comparison would be something like a Nissan GT-R vs a 911 Turbo.  One without brand prestige against the benchmark one with brand prestige.  Honda's Acura brand at the time had pretty much no recognition, as it was new, and Honda was just like any other Japanese automaker.  The biggest selling point for the NSX over the European competition was actually functionality and promised reliability, at the cost of brand prestige of a Ferrari or Porsche.  So if anything the NSX would be like the watch that Timex (Honda) made to compete with Rolex (Ferrari) on the promise it told time more clearly and more reliably.

GoCougs

Uh, but no family sedan is running 13.7 sec 1/4 times (at least yet). The NSX is quite a machine 10, 15 and even 20 years later.

Quote from: GoCougs on May 17, 2009, 07:15:54 PM
Uh, but no family sedan is running 13.7 sec 1/4 times (at least yet). The NSX is quite a machine 10, 15 and even 20 years later.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=124876

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 565 on May 17, 2009, 07:01:54 PM
Actually that is not a good comparison.  A Timex vs Rolex comparison would be something like a Nissan GT-R vs a 911 Turbo.  One without brand prestige against the benchmark one with brand prestige.  Honda's Acura brand at the time had pretty much no recognition, as it was new, and Honda was just like any other Japanese automaker.  The biggest selling point for the NSX over the European competition was actually functionality and promised reliability, at the cost of brand prestige of a Ferrari or Porsche.  So if anything the NSX would be like the watch that Timex (Honda) made to compete with Rolex (Ferrari) on the promise it told time more clearly and more reliably.

I didn't mean to compare in terms of brand prestige (in that sense Acura still blows) but rather craftsmanship and attention to detail.

The NSX is/was a hand built gem with great attention to detail. Things like a 23 step paint process, one person assembly of each engine, etc...

the Teuton

When it came out, the NSX was around $60,000.  At that same time, the Diablo was around $200,000, and it ran to 60 mph in about 4.5 seconds and only some versions hit 202 mph -- the fastest ever in 1990.  5.6 seconds and 160 mph don't sound that bad for 1/3 of the price.  And by comparison of 1992, the 415 hp Viper RT/10 wasn't much better at anything but acceleration than the NSX, much less refinement, for the same price.

Yeah, the NSX wasn't that powerful, and by today's standards, it's a bit outclassed by your average Solstice GXP.  But for the time it came out, it was an amazing machine.  And it still is.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

However, when this happens, you know that all good things must come to an end.

the Teuton

I would gladly rock a Type R or a Type Zero S NSX.  Yeah, the fake scoop is a bit over the top (literally), but the car is awesome otherwise.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MX793

Published numbers I've seen for early 90s ZR-1s put them in the high 13s in the quarter mile, so not too much quicker than an NSX (of course, once the ZR1 got a power bump later on, it was a good bit quicker).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: Catman on May 17, 2009, 07:42:41 PM
Cant believe that car is going the way of the dinosaur. :cry:
Drive it.  You aren't missing much.

Raza

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 17, 2009, 03:52:23 PM
I'll agree that its not that fast in a straight line by todays standards. The fact that all but three of the cars in your list are FWD is pretty shocking indeed considering the numbers.

However, I have to disagree that it wasn't when it was released. When it came out it outdid a 348, 355, and is still faster around a track than some cars with 100hp+ advantage.

I think the ultimate point is being missed here though. If the goal was a drag car he could have bought one for a lot cheaper. Whether or not any of those cars could keep up is irrelevant to the driving experience provided by the NSX, not to mention the build quality and exclusivity.

The NSX was a great car.  Great looking, groundbreaking in its reliability (but it wasn't faster than a 355), and it never got the respect it deserved.

The car will be remembered for changing the way manufacturers built high end sports cars and GTs (I hesitate to say supercars, since I don't consider the NSX or its contemporaries supercars), but its individual performance (and even value on the used market) are not as noteworthy as you think.  For some, the NSX is the be-all, end-all, but the S2000 all but outdid it when it came out.  I remember watching a video of a race driver taking the S2000 around the Ring and mentioning that it goes through corners as quickly or more quickly than the NSX he drove. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

VTEC_Inside

Onslaught

I prefer them when the tops could be painted to match. But that's a clean looking NSX and I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Sigma Projects

mmm NSX, i've seen people shave 100lbs and keep it looking stock inside and out.

Really hope they turn that G8 into some kind of Chevy. Such a nice car...  :(
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

Schadenfreude

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 17, 2009, 09:13:01 PM
Drive it.  You aren't missing much.

Right.  Because the G8 isn't one of the best family sedans the Big 3 has put out in how long?

Schadenfreude

Quote from: Sigma Projects on May 18, 2009, 05:30:06 AM
mmm NSX, i've seen people shave 100lbs and keep it looking stock inside and out.

Really hope they turn that G8 into some kind of Chevy. Such a nice car...  :(

And the G8 won't be a Chevy, at least not this generation anyway.  A shame too.  :facepalm:

GoCougs

Quote from: 565 on May 17, 2009, 07:23:53 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=124876

G8 GT really not a family sedan IMO.

13.7 sec 1/4 mile time is still a pretty quick car today - not modern exotic car fast, but pretty fast nonetheless...

Catman

Quote from: 2o6 on May 17, 2009, 08:32:49 PM
However, when this happens, you know that all good things must come to an end.

LOL.   :facepalm:

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 17, 2009, 10:05:14 PM
Mid 13s are not fast? Since when?

No, it is fast.  For a car that costs 50 grand.  Not 90+.

(E46 M3 ran 13.6 last I saw.)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on May 18, 2009, 11:10:03 AM
No, it is fast.  For a car that costs 50 grand.  Not 90+.

(E46 M3 ran 13.6 last I saw.)
It's not hard to make a car fast. I haven't driven one but just from the specs alone there aren't too many cars in the NSX' price range that have the same level of neutrality. Yes, in 2009 the 90K NSX is a silly proposition... but in 1989 even in 1989 dollars a 90K NSX was a hell of a bargain (and the bees knees). People speak of Porsche' build quality but I still hear of pretty gruesome and silly issues plaguing cars as late as the 996. The NSX was no more problematic than an Integra which is huge for a car of its caliber.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 18, 2009, 01:20:35 PM
It's not hard to make a car fast. I haven't driven one but just from the specs alone there aren't too many cars in the NSX' price range that have the same level of neutrality. Yes, in 2009 the 90K NSX is a silly proposition... but in 1989 even in 1989 dollars a 90K NSX was a hell of a bargain (and the bees knees). People speak of Porsche' build quality but I still hear of pretty gruesome and silly issues plaguing cars as late as the 996. The NSX was no more problematic than an Integra which is huge for a car of its caliber.

And I've also heard of Ferrari-like out-of-warranty costs for the NSX.  So it goes both ways on that.  But then again, I remember reading a Classic Motorsports where they put a bunch of RS clones to the test on track.  20-30 year old Porsches, being abused on track all day long.  Not a single car had a fault.  Not even one drop of oil.

If the NSX were priced along the Corvette, we'd never have this discussion.  Period.  If it evolved as the competition moved on, we wouldn't have this discussion either.  But it was not and did not, therefore it's called into question. 

If I had one, I'd love it and defend it to the hilt.  But would I buy one?  With money that I had to earn?  Probably not.  For a basic 1990, you're still looking at 20K or so.  That buys a lot of used Boxster on the market.  For an open top car?  Probably 30.  And that buys an Elise on the used market. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Meh, who cares.  They just built it so they could make a race car out of it and qualify.

:huh:

Vinsanity

I could see myself with a nice lightly-used NSX-T as a second car someday. To me, the money buys extra refinement over a Vette and more exclusivity than a Porsche.