Little something a friend of mine picked up...

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 16, 2009, 06:32:04 PM

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 18, 2009, 09:07:09 PM
I could see myself with a nice lightly-used NSX-T as a second car someday. To me, the money buys extra refinement over a Vette and more exclusivity than a Porsche.

Acura has more exclusivity than Porsche?

Better think on that one.  Sure, there are just a few NSXs running around, but there are thousands upon thousands of Acuras.  If you're looking to impress laypeople, the NSX probably won't do it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18674.msg1063355#msg1063355 date=1242703047

Better think on that one.  Sure, there are just a few NSXs running around, but there are thousands upon thousands of Acuras.  If you're looking to impress laypeople, the NSX probably won't do it.
Neither would a Porsche in that area.

SVT666

I would love an NSX.  To me the equivalent modern day supercar is the Audi R8.  It's actually almost slow in a straight line compared to the current crop of sub 4 second cars on the market.  It's the corners and refinement where it excels.  The R8 also happens to be right near the top of my list of most desirable new cars and the NSX is near the top of my most desirable used car list.

SVT666

There are so many Porsches on the road these days that they don't even turn heads anymore.  The NSX still turns heads.

CALL_911

Are you out of your mind? The NSX gets huge amounts of attention from bystanders!! Hell, the noise alone gets attention! The NSX is one of those cars where few people care about the badge, like the Viper and GT-R.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on May 18, 2009, 07:32:07 AM
I disagree.
It's nowhere near as good as the magazines would have you believe.  It's nowhere near as good as everyone wants to think it is either.  The steering is lifeless, the interior materials are shit, and the body roll is more then in the new Fusion.  It's a nice car, and with the current discounts it's a no brainer, but at full pop it's within $2000 of a G37 sedan.

the Teuton

There are now companies that specialize in making supercharger and mod kits for the NSX that can elevate it from one of the best cars of the early-1990s to one of the best performing cars around a track, period.

That, and I just love those thin 1990s pillars.  None of that thick, awful styling here; just crisp, elegant styling.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 18, 2009, 09:25:50 PM
It's nowhere near as good as the magazines would have you believe.  It's nowhere near as good as everyone wants to think it is either.  The steering is lifeless, the interior materials are shit, and the body roll is more then in the new Fusion.  It's a nice car, and with the current discounts it's a no brainer, but at full pop it's within $2000 of a G37 sedan.

lol, I love how you always act like you're the authority on a topic. It's funny.

<---Works at a Pontiac Dealer.

the Teuton

Are you OK with all of the dealer closings, Roy?  Best of luck to you. /side note

If you prefer not to answer or whatever, it's cool.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 18, 2009, 09:23:11 PM
Are you out of your mind? The NSX gets huge amounts of attention from bystanders!! Hell, the noise alone gets attention! The NSX is one of those cars where few people care about the badge, like the Viper and GT-R.

I've seen plenty, and I'm always the only one looking.  GT-Rs don't seem to really turn heads for any good reason either. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 18, 2009, 09:21:45 PM
There are so many Porsches on the road these days that they don't even turn heads anymore.  The NSX still turns heads.

See, you guys are saying that like it's true.  I've owned a Porsche.  You get lots of attention.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18674.msg1063385#msg1063385 date=1242704248
Yeah, it really would. 
I love me some Porsche. But you see them all over the place. I don't even bother looking much anymore when I see or pass one.
An NSX on the other hand will turn my head every time. You just don't see them all that often. And let's face it, most Porsche cars
look the damn same every year.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on May 18, 2009, 09:39:05 PM
See, you guys are saying that like it's true.  I've owned a Porsche.  You get lots of attention.

Nothing looks like a Porsche.  I can still see a low slung car like an NSX grabbing a lot of attention from people who mistake it for a Lotus or Ferrari.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on May 18, 2009, 09:39:51 PM
I love me some Porsche. But you see them all over the place. I don't even bother looking much anymore when I see or pass one.
An NSX on the other hand will turn my head every time. You just don't see them all that often. And let's face it, most Porsche cars
look the damn same every year.

Apparently you people all live next to a Porsche factory.  Yes, I see Porsches everyday, and they still turn heads; from me and laypeople alike.  I never knew motorists were so talkative until I drove one in traffic with the top down. 

But what you're saying is "there are so many Porsches that people don't look at Porsches anymore."  And then in the same breath you say "this Acura is a rare Acura, so even though there are a lot of Acuras it doesn't matter that it's an Acura."

Look, I'm not an image person.  I'm just saying it how I see it when I see other people see it.  People will look at it for a second, as Teuton said, perhaps mistaking it for a Ferrari (no one even knows what a Lotus is, man), then think it's an Integra unless they know what it is.  I don't care how it looks.  The badge isn't there.

And again, this is nothing against the car.  I don't personally care if the badge is there or not.  People who don't know, though, they do.  So saying that Porsches aren't as exclusive as Acuras are is ridiculous.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Never before have I noticed so many Porsches on the road until I drove around in a 996 convertible. They're common enough that you don't really notice them on the road; whereas I'll always notice an NSX no matter what.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18674.msg1063403#msg1063403 date=1242704740
Apparently you people all live next to a Porsche factory.  Yes, I see Porsches everyday, and they still turn heads; from me and laypeople alike.  I never knew motorists were so talkative until I drove one in traffic with the top down. 

But what you're saying is "there are so many Porsches that people don't look at Porsches anymore."  And then in the same breath you say "this Acura is a rare Acura, so even though there are a lot of Acuras it doesn't matter that it's an Acura."

Look, I'm not an image person.  I'm just saying it how I see it when I see other people see it.  People will look at it for a second, as Teuton said, perhaps mistaking it for a Ferrari (no one even knows what a Lotus is, man), then think it's an Integra unless they know what it is.  I don't care how it looks.  The badge isn't there.

And again, this is nothing against the car.  I don't personally care if the badge is there or not.  People who don't know, though, they do.  So saying that Porsches aren't as exclusive as Acuras are is ridiculous.
I'm not trying to say a Acura is an exclusive car. Most of them are FWD boring turds.
But most people have no idea WTF an NSX is. And most people don't know what and Acura badge looks like. So when they see an NSX they think it's something way more exclusive then what it really is.
Fact is then average person knows nothing at all about cars. Nothing.

I've seen people stand around the NSX at local cars shows and you'd think it was a Ferrari F-40 or something with the way they talked about it. People just don't know about this shit.

And I do see Porsches all over the place in my town. A Boxster or Cayman are a dime a dozen around here. I see more of them then I do Miata's.

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on May 18, 2009, 09:31:56 PM
Are you OK with all of the dealer closings, Roy?  Best of luck to you. /side note

If you prefer not to answer or whatever, it's cool.

Yeah, apparently we sell all of like 5 Pontiacs a month anyway, so it's not like things would change drastically.  And there are still enough on the road that need fixing.

/sidenote

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on May 18, 2009, 09:45:40 PM

That statement makes sense to me because most Porsches look alike, whereas the NSX is obviously unlike any other in the Acura line.

QuoteLook, I'm not an image person.  I'm just saying it how I see it when I see other people see it.  People will look at it for a second, as Teuton said, perhaps mistaking it for a Ferrari (no one even knows what a Lotus is, man), then think it's an Integra unless they know what it is.  I don't care how it looks.  The badge isn't there.

I don't follow. How can someone think a car is a Ferrari for a second, an then think that it's an Integra? Did I miss another one of your signature hyperbolic statements?

QuoteAnd again, this is nothing against the car.  I don't personally care if the badge is there or not.  People who don't know, though, they do.  So saying that Porsches aren't as exclusive as Acuras are is ridiculous.

The NSX is more exclusive than the Boxster. The NSX is also more exclusive than the Carerra. Sorry you took such offense to my short-hand statement that the NSX is more exclusive than a Porsche.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18674.msg1063403#msg1063403 date=1242704740

That's like saying the Ford GT isn't exclusive because there are hundreds of millions of Fords on public roads.  That's stupid.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on May 18, 2009, 09:29:48 PM
lol, I love how you always act like you're the authority on a topic. It's funny.

<---Works at a Pontiac Dealer.
In case you haven't noticed, I was in love with the G8 GT.  I wanted one so bad I could hardly think of anything else.  I had one as my signature for a while.  Then I drove the V6 version and reality slapped me in the face.  It ain't that good.  So I thought, "Maybe it's just the V6 version".  So I took a G8 GT for a test drive.  Yes it was blazing fast, but the steering still sucked, the interior materials are still shit, the body roll was unacceptable, and you feel every single one of those 4000 lbs.  It was disappointing.  There are lots of highs to this car though.

Like I said though, with the current discounts ($9500 here) I would pick one up in a heartbeat if I was in the market.  But at full pop, I would rather spring for the G37 sedan.

omicron

Quote from: GoCougs on May 18, 2009, 09:23:47 AM
G8 GT really not a family sedan IMO.

13.7 sec 1/4 mile time is still a pretty quick car today - not modern exotic car fast, but pretty fast nonetheless...

Up until MY09, you could get the lower-spec Commodore Berlina with the same 361hp V8 as in the more expensive SS-V/GT, but for $10k less. Very rare, I believe, but very appealing to those after the ultimate Q-ship:

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 18, 2009, 11:30:40 PM
In case you haven't noticed, I was in love with the G8 GT.  I wanted one so bad I could hardly think of anything else.  I had one as my signature for a while.  Then I drove the V6 version and reality slapped me in the face.  It ain't that good.  So I thought, "Maybe it's just the V6 version".  So I took a G8 GT for a test drive.  Yes it was blazing fast, but the steering still sucked, the interior materials are still shit, the body roll was unacceptable, and you feel every single one of those 4000 lbs.  It was disappointing.  There are lots of highs to this car though.

Like I said though, with the current discounts ($9500 here) I would pick one up in a heartbeat if I was in the market.  But at full pop, I would rather spring for the G37 sedan.

That sounds exactly like my impression of the Dodge Charger R/T (except I was never in love with it). Did you by chance ever get to drive one of those in comparison?

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 18, 2009, 11:38:33 PM
That sounds exactly like my impression of the Dodge Charger R/T. Did you by chance ever get to drive one of those in comparison?
Yes I have.  It was about a year and a half ago though, but I found the Charger R/T to be a little more agile with slightly better steering, but you still feel every pound.  Personally I prefer the G8 GT over the Charger R/T simply due to the styling and interior.  The G8's interior materials are crap (though the interior looks good and is comfortable), but nowhere near as bad as the Charger's.

Vinsanity

yikes, I would never have described the Charger to be agile or have good steering :mask:

but then again, I had literally stepped out of the s2000 and into the Charger for a test drive, so that may have affected my overall impression.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: Onslaught on May 18, 2009, 09:52:43 PM
I'm not trying to say a Acura is an exclusive car. Most of them are FWD boring turds.
But most people have no idea WTF an NSX is. And most people don't know what and Acura badge looks like. So when they see an NSX they think it's something way more exclusive then what it really is.
Fact is then average person knows nothing at all about cars. Nothing.

I've seen people stand around the NSX at local cars shows and you'd think it was a Ferrari F-40 or something with the way they talked about it. People just don't know about this shit.

And I do see Porsches all over the place in my town. A Boxster or Cayman are a dime a dozen around here. I see more of them then I do Miata's.

Yea same here. It's funny when I tell me gf the name of the NSX, she just says it sounds like SEX. And yea, seriously, people have no clue what an NSX is. And yea, more porsches than Miatas around here.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

Onslaught

Quote from: Sigma Projects on May 19, 2009, 03:50:04 AM
Yea same here. It's funny when I tell me gf the name of the NSX, she just says it sounds like SEX. And yea, seriously, people have no clue what an NSX is. And yea, more porsches than Miatas around here.
People don't have a clue about cars. I can't tell you how many people have asked me what my car is over the years. I've gotten the "what kind of car is that" about 1-2 a month from people for years. And the couldn't believe it was a Mazda. I'm not sure WTF it looks like to them or how anyone couldn't know what a Miata is in the first place. So God knows what they think an NSX is?

nickdrinkwater

The NSX is awesome.  It's not the fastest but it's a 20 year old car.  It still has a street presence that many modern supercars (e.g. 911) don't have.

BTW, nice NSX but I would probably change the rims if it were me.  Cool though.

sportyaccordy

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

A 911 doesn't turn heads?

An NSX doesn't turn heads?

Even in jaded ass downtown Manhattan they turn heads. You guys are nuts.

That said, given 30K I would probably go with a 996 C2S over an NSX just cause of the brand snobbery. Something about the interior of the NSX just screams "Acura Legend"

SVT666