Looking for a car...

Started by Raza , May 18, 2009, 02:42:17 PM

Tave

I think the interior is more plush, elegant, and better-arranged.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on May 21, 2009, 03:01:54 PM
Way better fuel economy?  Doesn't the Cooper get like 34 highway?  My car does like 31. 

And I'll have to defer on steering feel and agility, since I've yet to drive one.  But I do remember reading an article posted here where in handling tests, the Mini came out behind the GTI (which is almost identical to my car), and I believe that was the first Mini, which has been noted to be much better than the new one in handling (and steering feel).

EDIT:  My car is a compact, not a midsize. 

33 city, 37 Highway.

From C&D on the GTI's steering feel:
(I know you don't have one, but close enough):
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/cobalt_ss_v_wrx_and_5_more_sport_compacts_comparison_test+page-7.html
The steering feel could be better. 

In the same test they comment that the MINI Cooper S JCW steering is full of feedback, but I believe that car was equipped with the JCW suspension (still optional on the Cooper).

The Cooper S, down 40hp, is still 2sec faster on the lightning lap, so while the Cooper, while still slower, probably wouldn't be too far behind.

I've never driven a Jetta, but from most reviews I've read the MINI suspension is "jittery" or "darty" in comparison.  IMO that comes down to a personal preference as Car and Driver put it: "Sure, seasoned pilots work with velvet inputs, and they can make the Mini dance. That said, there's something cynical about tuning for white-knuckle go-kartiness and then bringing the stability control into play at Mrs. Grundy g-levels to save your life"
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/hatchbacks/2007_vw_gti_vs_subaru_impreza_wrx_tr_mini_cooper_s_nissan_sentra_se_r_spec_v_mazdaspeed_3_grand_touring_comparison_test+page-4.html

If you do decide to drive aggressively, the Jetta's steering is nicely weighted and accurate, though body roll is significant in enthusiastic cornering.
http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/jetta/2009/review.html

I remember hearing talk of how the new compacts were closing in on midsize, but in researching, I've found that the Jetta is still quite small according to the EPA size classes.

Jetta: 91 Cu ft

Subcompacts - 80-90 cuft
Compacts - 90-100 cuft
Midside - 100-110 cuft

I think there may have been some changes to the system sometime since a 2001 Grand Prix comes in at 98 cuft, and as far as I can remember it was a midsize sedan....
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Well, now that that's all derailed and you've thrown a bunch of evaluations by testers of indeterminate skill at me, do you happen to know anything about 7 passenger SUVs?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on May 23, 2009, 09:39:52 PM
Well, now that that's all derailed and you've thrown a bunch of evaluations by testers of indeterminate skill at me, do you happen to know anything about 7 passenger SUVs?

:devil:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on May 23, 2009, 09:39:52 PM

I think everyone's pretty much settled on the MDX. I'd mentioned the Cadillac SRX in the previous thread, but I seem to recall it being rejected.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on May 24, 2009, 05:01:34 AM
I think everyone's pretty much settled on the MDX. I'd mentioned the Cadillac SRX in the previous thread, but I seem to recall it being rejected.

She's taking her time on the decision, so we'll see how things turn out.  She's not in a rush to replace her Odyssey.

And I got the skinny on the XC90:  The model they got didn't have 7 seats standard, so they stuck with the five, since it was going to be her husband's car, and he tends to drive alone (he's a surgeon), so they didn't see the point in springing for the extra two seats. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

Don't get an MDX.  They have the most cramped third row this side of the Mitsubishi Outlander.  They're hideous.  Why not just get another XC90? 

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on May 24, 2009, 10:04:42 AM
Don't get an MDX.  They have the most cramped third row this side of the Mitsubishi Outlander.

Not close to accurate.

CJ

I thought it was very cramped. 

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on May 24, 2009, 10:16:19 AM
I thought it was very cramped. 

Virtually all midsize SUVs' third rows are very cramped.

CJ

This is true, but so is the Tahoe and Suburban.  Granted, that's just due to no IRS.

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on May 24, 2009, 10:20:00 AM
This is true, but so is the Tahoe and Suburban.  Granted, that's just due to no IRS.

My point being that the MDX's third row is equivalent to its competitors.

CJ

It seems to be a little smaller.  The XC90, while not exactly spacious, isn't uncomfortable.  Plus, as Clarkson said, it's a car that was designed by people who have children.  And heck, if they're going to get an MDX, they might as well get the bigger, roomier Pilot. 

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on May 24, 2009, 10:26:20 AM
It seems to be a little smaller.  The XC90, while not exactly spacious, isn't uncomfortable. 

Umm....

Maybe if you've slid the second row all the way forward in the Volvo but not the Acura. Accommodations are pretty much the same between them.

Catman

The new MDX, like the Pilot has a decent third row. :huh:

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on May 24, 2009, 01:19:30 PM
The new MDX, like the Pilot has a decent third row. :huh:

The old one was almost decent, but it got smaller on the new model.

Raza

I just don't get why new Hondas have to be so ugly.  I mean, my friend's mother has a Pilot which she got a few years back, and it looks quite nice, actually.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on May 25, 2009, 06:51:51 AM
I just don't get why new Hondas have to be so ugly.  I mean, my friend's mother has a Pilot which she got a few years back, and it looks quite nice, actually.

They figure that if they keep getting uglier, maybe the Chinese will stop copying them.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18694.msg1067287#msg1067287 date=1243255911

An old Pilot?

The Pilot never looked good.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Catman

I like the new USB port grill. :lol:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT_Power

Quote from: Catman on May 25, 2009, 07:25:55 PM

I never noticed until now. I don't think I'm ever gonna be able to forget it now  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Minpin

Quote from: Catman on May 25, 2009, 07:25:55 PM

Oh goddamnit. I bet some junior designer fell asleep while his task was to design the grill. He woke up minutes before his deadline. Unbeknownst(is this a word??) to him, he had fallen asleep on an unplugged mouse. The USB port was emblazoned on his hand, and thus, the grill of the Honda Pilot took life! Of course he was praised for his creative genius and promoted to some position where he designed the new CRX.  :facepalm:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

dinkeldorf

Yo. It's been a while.  Your friend's wife is doing the exact same search we did when we were supposed to replace the pilot: MDX is the default, XC90 close second. MDX handles nice, peppy, more space, bigger trunk, surprisingly wide, "masculine" interior. XC90 looks nicer, not very reliable, and in my hood, very very common. To my mind the MDX only looks good in white. My bias: I would take the RAV4 V6 over the XC90 (heck look at my departed beloved in my pic).

FWIW I ended up with an LR3 HSE which they're giving away currently in anticipation of the LR4.

Good luck assisting friends with car purchase!

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18694.msg1066595#msg1066595 date=1243136392

Raza

I like the LR3 quire a bit.  If you keep me updated with it, I might be able to give a recommendation on it. 

She's put her purchase on hold for a little while.  She's going to see what happens with her husband's XC90 and if the Odyssey is going to hold up a little while longer.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i