"Standard" Window tinting on SUVs & Minivans

Started by Morris Minor, May 20, 2009, 07:32:26 AM

Morris Minor

Does anyone know the "standard" tint level that manufacturers put on the rear windows of SUVs? I'd like to get the driver and front passenger windows tinted on my Pilot, but do not want to depart too much from the factory tint level.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

S204STi

Good question... the strictest state that allows tint at all is apparently Florida, which allows 15%.  I would find a good installer who can match it exactly, that would be easier that guessing I think.

r0tor

15% is way way dark... remember its rated by the % og light it leaves thru
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on May 20, 2009, 09:02:27 AM
15% is way way dark... remember its rated by the % og light it leaves thru

Oooh.  My bad. :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: R-inge on May 20, 2009, 09:08:12 AM
Oooh.  My bad. :lol:
yeah, I should add that I want to stay legal.... while matching the factory tint  :lol:. The minimum here in Georgia is 35% transmission.

SVT666

I don't know about down there, but it's actually illegal up here to tint windows that are forward of the driver's shoulder.  It doesn't stop people much, but the police can nail you for it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Lots of SUVs actually have mirror tint. 50% mirror is the one used the most.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 20, 2009, 11:47:03 AM
I don't know about down there, but it's actually illegal up here to tint windows that are forward of the driver's shoulder.  It doesn't stop people much, but the police can nail you for it.

It depends on the state.  In Colorado it's ok, but NH it isn't.  I don't know what other states prohibit it.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on May 20, 2009, 04:59:47 PM
http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
I got all the windows on my Focus (except the driver and front passenger door windows) tinted with 5% tint.  I love it.

Tave

My tints were a dealer-option. Nearly every car sold in PHX is equiped with tinted windows. I wish they were a shade darker all around.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

bing_oh

Don't forget, factory tint could be darker than legal...but still legal, since it's factory. Aftermarket of the same tint level might actually be illegal.

dinkeldorf

My better 1/2 has a Pilot.  It's not a tint, it's pigmented glass. If you want absolute consistency, never mind the legality, dunno how easy it would be. Good luck.

http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=314942

Morris Minor

I think I'll just put a gray 35% in the front door windows.

Morris Minor

A metalized film would have looked very different from the factory tint per the guys at the shop. So I went with a non-metalized 35% film: 3M Nano-Carbon - it's supposed to have very good characteristics. The match is not perfect, but close enough.

Minpin

Tint makes any car look clean, imo. I should post up mine sometime.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

The Pirate

I'm going to get my windows tinted soon.  That looks really good, Morris!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Morris Minor

Update:
It's been a couple of days since the film was installed and Atlanta's summer heat is kicking in. Driving home in the rush hour yesterday was MUCH more comfortable than before. So I think this a worthwhile and fairly inexpensive improvement - particularly if you live in one of the sunbelt states.

Minpin

Just curious, how much did you pay for yours? I paid 80 dollars, and the shop has a lifetime warranty policy on bubbles and other such common issues with tint. If you develop any thing like that, they replace it for free. They did a good job though, and I only have some micro bubbles, but that happens with pretty much every tint job, and you can only see them if your face is against the glass.  :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: Minpin on June 16, 2009, 04:17:29 PM
Just curious, how much did you pay for yours? I paid 80 dollars, and the shop has a lifetime warranty policy on bubbles and other such common issues with tint. If you develop any thing like that, they replace it for free. They did a good job though, and I only have some micro bubbles, but that happens with pretty much every tint job, and you can only see them if your face is against the glass.  :lol:
Their rate for the driver & front passenger windows was $99, but I paid $150 for the fancy 3M film - so you got a really good deal & I paid way above the going rate - I did not even look like a rich white guy when they gave me the price - I had two days of beard growth and was in gym gear that reeked.

They charge $199 for a normal sedan - side & rear windows.

Lebowski

Damn, this reminds me to get my windows tinted (yeah, 3 years after getting the C6 I still haven't got the windows tinted, due mainly to laziness).

The summer heat has been bad the last couple weeks.

S204STi

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 17, 2009, 06:24:58 AM
Their rate for the driver & front passenger windows was $99, but I paid $150 for the fancy 3M film - so you got a really good deal & I paid way above the going rate - I did not even look like a rich white guy when they gave me the price - I had two days of beard growth and was in gym gear that reeked.

They charge $199 for a normal sedan - side & rear windows.

Sounds pretty normal.

FWIW I got 3M on my car when I bought it and it's still retaining its color after 2.5years in the western sun.  I'm hoping that bodes well for the future.

Minpin

Quote from: Lebowski on June 23, 2009, 07:57:18 AM
Damn, this reminds me to get my windows tinted (yeah, 3 years after getting the C6 I still haven't got the windows tinted, due mainly to laziness).

The summer heat has been bad the last couple weeks.

Just be sure you find a good shop. Tint is one of those things that if done just slightly wrong, or slightly amateurish it is really noticeable and looks really really bad.  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

The Sienna has factory on all the backs, and we only realized it has aftermarket (lighter) on the fronts because there is a huge nasty wrinkle cutting right through where the passenger mirror is...   
Will