Solder and Wiring and Scan Tools oh my....

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 21, 2009, 11:17:17 PM

VTEC_Inside

I'll spare the details, but I volunteered (at my leisure) to repair an engine wiring harness for a friend of my cousins because I get a kick out of solving puzzles.

The engine that harness belonged to fired up tonight and ran fine. Only threw codes for the O2 sensors that weren't hooked up. It was a lot of work piecing that harness back together so it was a great feeling to see the sob run.

NEXT,

My other buddy (Saturn mechanic) also stopped by with a customer car tonight, an '05 ION with an intermittent problem. Screw the car and the problem, more importantly he brought home the GM Tech 2 scanner with it. That thing was like a big ass gameboy for me. I could spend hours screwing around with it. If it has a wire going to it, you can manipulate it with that scan tool.

I probably need to get out more because I thought it was cool that I could engage and disengage the AC compressor clutch without the engine even running. Also being able to see the difference in speed between the crank and transmission input shaft was cool too.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

AutobahnSHO

Geek.  :lol:

I'd love to get something like that for my cars..
Will

r0tor

QuoteI could spend hours screwing around with it. If it has a wire going to it, you can manipulate it with that scan tool.

you should work in a new power plant... lolz
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 21, 2009, 11:17:17 PM

My other buddy (Saturn mechanic) also stopped by with a customer car tonight, an '05 ION with an intermittent problem. Screw the car and the problem, more importantly he brought home the GM Tech 2 scanner with it. That thing was like a big ass gameboy for me. I could spend hours screwing around with it. If it has a wire going to it, you can manipulate it with that scan tool.

I probably need to get out more because I thought it was cool that I could engage and disengage the AC compressor clutch without the engine even running. Also being able to see the difference in speed between the crank and transmission input shaft was cool too.

Yeah, it's a pretty powerful tool.  After working with one for a few years you start to see its limitations, but it's still an effective machine.  Right now GM is working on combining their wireless MDI (Multiple Diagnostic Interface) which we can currently only use for programming with a PC based scantool software which will allow us to wirelessly interface with and diagnose a car, using a laptop and the MDI which is roughly the size of the CANDi module that was attached to the Tech II you were using.  Kinda neat.

SVT_Power

we've got a GM tech 2 thingy or whatever in the garage for the team.

How much are those things worth? 
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: M_power on May 22, 2009, 05:56:19 PM
we've got a GM tech 2 thingy or whatever in the garage for the team.

How much are those things worth? 

You can get them for anywhere between $3000-$5000 depending on what you get with it.

S204STi

Bosch makes a replica, fwiw.  Not sure what it sells for though.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

I remember the team captain mentioning that big thing is pretty valuable but I didn't think it was worth that much  :mask:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Morris Minor

Do you have a recommendation for an inexpensive scan tool? I'd like something comprehensible to an amateur where I could easily look up a trouble code & have a clue what's going on before deciding whether I could fix it myself or submit to rape at the hands of a dealer.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: r0tor on June 17, 2009, 05:55:00 PM
mac  :facepalm:

I must be getting soft, because I was just about to post the same thing yesterday but figured I'd be nice.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 16, 2009, 09:54:15 AM
Yes - a Mac

I know I'm late, but that's not a laptop.

It's a fashion accessory that does some computer stuff.  :lol:
(I'm guessing the makers of scan tools don't make software for mac- have you ever seen a Mac in the garage? :lol: )
Will

giant_mtb

There's some yuppy hybrid-only mechanic shop in California called "Luscious Garage".  They have Macs.

:facepalm:

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 27, 2009, 11:52:33 AM
There's some yuppy hybrid-only mechanic shop in California called "Luscious Garage".  They have Macs.

:facepalm:

Seems like it would be hard to turn wrenches with a limp wrist.

hotrodalex

Quote from: R-inge on June 27, 2009, 12:11:49 PM
Seems like it would be hard to turn wrenches with a limp wrist.

Power tools  ;)