Review: 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

Started by ifcar, May 24, 2009, 01:43:41 PM

ifcar

QuoteEspecially when it?s painted in Utility Company White, this Chevrolet Silverado looks like nothing more than a basic bare-bones work truck, interchangeable with dozens of other basic bare-bones work trucks that General Motors and other automakers have produced over the years.

It?s true, this truck is no luxury vehicle. You don?t really want a luxury vehicle when you?re motoring through a gloppy mixture of mud and manure at the Tantallon Cattle Company in Maryland?s Washington suburbs...

Continued at link:
http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-DC-Car-Examiner~y2009m5d24-Review-2008-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-

bing_oh

The only thing I find inapproprate is that they have all those pictures of a white work truck in the middle of muddy fields and ranch roads, without a speck of mud on it. :lol: Woulda look better with giant rooster tails of mud along the sides.

giant_mtb

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 25, 2009, 12:24:10 AM
What is the plural of RPM?

Technically?  RPM.

But I guess it would be okay to say "RPMs" in conversation.

It's just like RBI in baseball.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on May 24, 2009, 01:43:41 PM"The big ?Duramax? diesel engine can feel sluggish but builds speed deceptively quickly and acceptably quietly, helped by diesel?s low rpms."

The trick with hustling these trucks is to give it the boot and then modulate as the turbo spools.

Also:

Quote from: ifcar on May 24, 2009, 01:43:41 PM"The brakes, however, remind drivers that this Silverado weighs some 5,500 pounds, with a numb and heavy pedal that requires a fair bit of effort to hold down when idling in Drive."

This has something to do, I think, with the fact that it has hydraulically assisted brakes rather than vacuum assisted brakes on most 1/2 ton and some 3/4 ton gas trucks.  It really messes with pedal feel.

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on May 24, 2009, 01:43:41 PM"Another aspect of the Silverado 2500HD that undoubtedly exposes its size is its fuel consumption. It?s too heavy to be rated by the EPA, but the 6.0-liter gasoline Silverado 1500 is rated for 13 miles per gallon in the city and 18 on the highway. The 2500HD has a 34-gallon tank to hold its diesel.

But that comes with the territory in a full-size ultra-capable pickup. You can?t expect to tow over 10,000 pounds and carry 3,600 pounds of cargo and get good gas mileage or a tight turning radius. "

This set of paragraphs is purely speculative and has no actual numbers or observed fuel economy to support your claims.  Just a friendly observation.

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2009, 05:25:51 PM
This set of paragraphs is purely speculative and has no actual numbers or observed fuel economy to support your claims.  Just a friendly observation.

I don't have any real numbers for the diesel Silverado. You don't think the paragraph makes the clear?

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on May 26, 2009, 05:31:39 PM
I don't have any real numbers for the diesel Silverado. You don't think the paragraph makes the clear?

I think that the implication that the fuel economy of the 1500 6.0l has something to do with the fuel economy of the 2500 6.6l diesel might confuse your readers.

SVT666

Diesel pickups get, on average, around 30% better fuel economy numbers then their gasoline counterparts, and the gap widens when hauling or towing.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 26, 2009, 05:50:04 PM
Diesel pickups get, on average, around 30% better fuel economy numbers then their gasoline counterparts, and the gap widens when hauling or towing.

Source? I've never seen anything that extreme.

Quote from: TBR on May 26, 2009, 05:42:10 PM
I think that the implication that the fuel economy of the 1500 6.0l has something to do with the fuel economy of the 2500 6.6l diesel might confuse your readers.

It was only providing a general idea of what sort of mileage a full-size pickup gets.

S204STi

I don't think you should speculate in a review, that's all.  If you are ok with that, it's fine by me, but I would personally try to substantiate claims or not make them at all if I were writing a column.

-Again, respectfully.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 26, 2009, 05:50:04 PM

Yeah, up to 30% maybe.  I don't have any hard and fast numbers either, but I have also heard from owners that they get more or less equivalent economy towing or unloaded, unlike gas engines whose numbers plummet.

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2009, 06:38:34 PM
I don't think you should speculate in a review, that's all.  If you are ok with that, it's fine by me, but I would personally try to substantiate claims or not make them at all if I were writing a column.

There just isn't too much mpg data on the big diesel trucks because the EPA doesn't rate them. I wasn't trying to add any speculation, unless you think it's speculative to suggest that this truck probably doesn't get great gas mileage.

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on May 26, 2009, 06:41:05 PM
There just isn't too much mpg data on the big diesel trucks because the EPA doesn't rate them. I wasn't trying to add any speculation, unless you think it's speculative to suggest that this truck probably doesn't get great gas mileage.

hehe, yeah I guess that's a good point.

the Teuton

The best practice in such a case is to say, "I observed XXX mpg during my test drive."

Speculation isn't really good unless it's addressed as such in an opinion piece.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on May 26, 2009, 06:51:59 PM
The best practice in such a case is to say, "I observed XXX mpg during my test drive."

I didn't calculate it.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on May 26, 2009, 06:55:58 PM
I didn't calculate it.

I should say, "I believe Barack Obama is Muslim because he has a Muslim name."

Does that make it true?

Did you know the much heavier diesel H1 Hummer got better mpg numbers than the H2?

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on May 26, 2009, 07:01:34 PM
I should say, "I believe Barack Obama is Muslim because he has a Muslim name."

Does that make it true?

Did you know the much heavier diesel H1 Hummer got better mpg numbers than the H2?

Where have you seen numbers for either?

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on May 26, 2009, 07:03:01 PM
Where have you seen numbers for either?

Um, it's ironic that you're calling for numbers when you just made a very ambiguous claim in a web article. ;)

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2009, 07:05:02 PM
Um, it's ironic that you're calling for numbers when you just made a very ambiguous claim in a web article. ;)

Yet this is a very specific claim with no numbers.

S204STi

Alright, well, like I said; it was just a friendly suggestion, but I realize that it's your call.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2009, 07:07:33 PM
Alright, well, like I said; it was just a friendly suggestion, but I realize that it's your call.

I think you should call the Blog Police  :pullover:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2009, 07:07:33 PM

I think the only suggestion I've seen in this thread was to retroactively calculate my own observed mileage. If you have a way I can make the limitations of existing data clearer without just eliminating any mention of gas mileage, that would be great.

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on May 26, 2009, 07:09:10 PM
I think the only suggestion I've seen in this thread was to retroactively calculate my own observed mileage. If you have a way I can make the limitations of existing data clearer without just eliminating any mention of gas mileage, that would be great.

I'm sorry, I'll make it more clear:  take those two paragraphs out, and next time try to actually observe fuel economy numbers if you want a blog that anyone could take seriously as a source for in-depth research and not just vague speculation.

Quote from: NACar on May 26, 2009, 07:08:06 PM
I think you should call the Blog Police  :pullover:

Yeah sorry, I'm done.

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2009, 07:13:03 PM
I'm sorry, I'll make it more clear:  take those two paragraphs out, and next time try to actually observe fuel economy numbers if you want a blog that anyone could take seriously as a source for in-depth research and not just vague speculation.

Yeah sorry, I'm done.

It may be vague, but it's not speculative to say that a full-size pickup doesn't get great gas mileage. But if someone does have some sources that talk about a huge improvement in diesel pickups, I can certainly add that to make it more clear.

the Teuton

But you have no grounds to make such a claim about a different kind of motor in a heavier duty truck.  You have no two comparables.  I agree with Roy.  Take the paragraphs out if you can't substantiate them.  Speculation is what people do in gossip magazines. 

Unless it is strictly stated as an editorial piece, use data where it calls for data.