2009 Highlander Limited w/2200 Miles

Started by Catman, May 25, 2009, 03:18:42 PM

Catman

Quote from: Payman on May 26, 2009, 05:52:20 PM
Jenn thinks her old Tercel was the best car in the world. We both agree she has no input when it comes to vehicles... unless it's a car for her only.

My wife needs to make sure that whatever we get she looks good in.  :rastaman:

sandertheshark

Catman

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 26, 2009, 10:04:35 PM
[cough]Acadia[/cough]

Already off my list.  Take a look at the roof rack on it.  Thule doesn't even make a rack to fit it.  Form over function.  And, to be honest I am not a fan of the interior materials that GM uses.  It's put together well enough but the materials are a little crappy. But the roof rack, which is important to me was the deal breaker.

C'mon there's nothing for an aftermarket rack to grab on to except that small space in the middle:

It's not just the rack itself though, it's also the roof, it's very narrow side to side and the rack rails are even further inboard so reaching up and over the truck is inconvenient.

Here's the Highlander rack:

Payman

Greg, honest question: is the Sequoia still in good condition, and paid for? If so, why not keep it and treat you and the missus to something like this:

**SALE PRICE $39900...2005 BOXSTER S, TIPTRONIC S, SEAL GREY METALLIC, BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR, XENON HEADLAMP PACKAGE, PORSCHE WINDSTOP DEFLECTOR, SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE (W/OUT PCM), PREFERRED PACKAGE, ONLY 40820KMS*SPECIAL IN HOUSE LEASE,Term;48month, Down;$2999.+,Monthly:$746.+taxes*CONTACT VAL @ 416-930-4751 or vmorgado@pfaffleasing.com

Catman

Quote from: Payman on May 27, 2009, 09:54:47 AM
Greg, honest question: is the Sequoia still in good condition, and paid for? If so, why not keep it and treat you and the missus to something like this:

**SALE PRICE $39900...2005 BOXSTER S, TIPTRONIC S, SEAL GREY METALLIC, BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR, XENON HEADLAMP PACKAGE, PORSCHE WINDSTOP DEFLECTOR, SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE (W/OUT PCM), PREFERRED PACKAGE, ONLY 40820KMS*SPECIAL IN HOUSE LEASE,Term;48month, Down;$2999.+,Monthly:$746.+taxes*CONTACT VAL @ 416-930-4751 or vmorgado@pfaffleasing.com

Yes to the first couple questions.  Nice idea but you need to consider insurance and excise tax.

CALL_911

Quote from: Catman on May 26, 2009, 06:21:47 PM
My wife needs to make sure that whatever we get she looks good in.  :rastaman:

No offense to Catwoman, but is that really gonna happen in these cars?

That isn't to say that they aren't comfortable as anything inside.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

I agree, your wife will look good in a Boxster.  Fact.

But will anyone really ever look good in a massive SUV besides Ahhhnold?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Catman

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 27, 2009, 11:53:44 AM
No offense to Catwoman, but is that really gonna happen in these cars?

That isn't to say that they aren't comfortable as anything inside.

Stop thinking like a man.  Once you learn to do that you will have a successful relationship someday. :praise:

GoCougs

Now that the Outback is a disaster, I've been thinking rather of an SUV. I remain quite disappointed in the Pilot's drive train - another 30-40 hp and a 6sp AT and I think that would do it for me. Both the Highlander and Venza are good vehicles, but I think I'm to wait for the 2010 4Runner that should debut any day now (V8!).

Catman

Quote from: GoCougs on May 27, 2009, 12:09:13 PM
Now that the Outback is a disaster, I've been thinking rather of an SUV. I remain quite disappointed in the Pilot's drive train - another 30-40 hp and a 6sp AT and I think that would do it for me. Both the Highlander and Venza are good vehicles, but I think I'm to wait for the 2010 4Runner that should debut any day now (V8!).

I'm still waiting for the 2011 Ford Explorer.  No sign of it...

Payman

Quote from: Catman on May 27, 2009, 11:48:25 AM
Yes to the first couple questions.  Nice idea but you need to consider insurance and excise tax.

Well, you are pushing 40... sometimes you need to put your sensibilities in check and just do it. If not now, when kind of thing. I have planned to budget around 50k of my military pension to buy toys... an ATV, snowmobile, and either a pre-owned Boxster, Corvette, or new Camaro SS. My dad is 68 now, and he's been saying forever how he wants an RV and a boat. He makes me so mad sometimes I want to slap him.

68_427

What about a Tribeca?  I honestly think they don't look bad at all.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TBR

Quote from: 68_427 on May 27, 2009, 02:03:11 PM

I like them too, but in comparison to the Highlander and Pilot, it has gotten a bit lackluster. Hell, it never was any better than mid-pack,

68_427

If at all possible I'd check it out anyways.  It can't hurt.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Catman on May 26, 2009, 07:35:29 AM
When you're married you have to agree on large purchases.

Thus my TWO slushies sitting in the driveway..  :-(
Will

Catman

Quote from: 68_427 on May 27, 2009, 02:22:48 PM
If at all possible I'd check it out anyways.  It can't hurt.

I agree with TBR on the tribeca.  Checked it out while in NY.

Lebowski

Quote from: Catman on May 25, 2009, 03:18:42 PM
Was looking at an 09 Highlander today.  It had 2200 miles on it.  He says the manager was using it.  So I asked how much they were taking off the sticker?  Answer was 10 cents a mile.... :nutty:  Anyway, this particular Highlander had every conceivable option including Nav and DVD system.  Sticker was right about $41K.  Edmunds shows a TMV of $4000 less.  It's an 09 and the 2010's are coming out very soon.  I didn't get into the pricing much since I'm not under the gun right now but I might check back in a week or two.

Anyway, I would think the fact that it's a used vehicle would warrant a bigger price cut?

I've heard anecdotally that dealers are getting much less promotional (I assume due to the production cuts than to any real pickup in demand).  A coworker of mine was looking at an '08 Xterra that was still on the lot, got about the same response you did - very little willingness to come down on price despite the fact that it's a flippin '08 still sitting on the lot!

Catman

I am at the dealer now looking at a sport model which I like better.  Waiting on the games to begin. I'm more than willing to drive out with my Sequoia and be happy so I'm not under any pressure.

GoCougs

Quote from: Catman on May 28, 2009, 03:16:40 PM
I am at the dealer now looking at a sport model which I like better.  Waiting on the games to begin. I'm more than willing to drive out with my Sequoia and be happy so I'm not under any pressure.

Give 'em hell!

Catman

They were low balling me on the trade in and playing games with the msrp, etc.  I told them to call me when the get their numbers straight and went on my way.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2009, 01:30:23 PM
VW dealers and those R32s.  They act like they've got a real bonafide supercar there on the lot (sort of like Subaru/Mitsu dealers too).

It wasn't the case before.  And they don't appeal to the crooked hat crowd as much as the Mitsubishi and Subaru do, so I don't see why they're being so stingy with the discounts.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2009, 03:21:49 PM
Any dealer that acts like their shit is too nice to touch, unless we're talking about a $50k+ vehicle, should have a reality check.

Anything under 100K shouldn't be locked in a showroom.  Simple as that.  Over 100K, I can understand locking the doors though.  My local Honda dealer locked up their Civic Si and Mugen in the showroom; and this was after I already blasted through miles and miles of great back roads in one on the other side of the state. 

Hell, at my Mercedes dealer, the only cars that have ever been off limits were the Maybachs and SLRs.  AMGs and 600s were all available for you to sit in and test drive. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on May 27, 2009, 02:03:11 PM

That's what a Tribeca looks like now?  That's not bad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

That whole B9 thing Subaru wanted to do was done under the pretenses of a drug-induced haze.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18755.msg1070187#msg1070187 date=1243615904
My local Honda dealer locked up their Civic Si and Mugen in the showroom; and this was after I already blasted through miles and miles of great back roads in one on the other side of the state. 

Do you remember those Mugen RR Civics that got stripped from the dealer because they were outside? That's probably why the car is locked inside.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on May 25, 2009, 07:27:59 PM
I would definitely attack it as a used vehicle one year old; not only because of the mileage but the 2010s should be just about hitting the lot.

If it were me I'd target a $30k - $32k price, and hold the line on KBB/NADA trade-in value on the Sequoia.

Not to mention that unless the manager was driving it around with dealer plates that whole time, it was previously registered which means you've lost upwards of a year off the factory warranty.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: MX793 on June 07, 2009, 05:51:21 PM
Not to mention that unless the manager was driving it around with dealer plates that whole time, it was previously registered which means you've lost upwards of a year off the factory warranty.

I can't imagine that they would register and title it.

Generally, dealers don't title their personal cars, I don't know why they would handle dealer provided cars for management differently.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 07, 2009, 05:48:41 PM

Do you remember those Mugen RR Civics that got stripped from the dealer because they were outside? That's probably why the car is locked inside.

No.  And I didn't mean "locked inside", I meant it was locked and inside the dealership showroom.  I should have been more clear. 

But again, I drove a Civic Si Mugen that was sitting outside at a dealership, with the rear bumper scraped up over a curb.  I wonder if they still have it.  30 grand for a Civic in a town where people only spend that much on houses and pickup trucks.  Hm...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i