2009 Highlander Limited w/2200 Miles

Started by Catman, May 25, 2009, 03:18:42 PM

Catman

Was looking at an 09 Highlander today.  It had 2200 miles on it.  He says the manager was using it.  So I asked how much they were taking off the sticker?  Answer was 10 cents a mile.... :nutty:  Anyway, this particular Highlander had every conceivable option including Nav and DVD system.  Sticker was right about $41K.  Edmunds shows a TMV of $4000 less.  It's an 09 and the 2010's are coming out very soon.  I didn't get into the pricing much since I'm not under the gun right now but I might check back in a week or two.

Anyway, I would think the fact that it's a used vehicle would warrant a bigger price cut?

SVT666

I regularly see used Toyota and Honda vehicles within a grand or two of a brand new one.  The reason?  There's always some moron who will pay it.

Catman

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 25, 2009, 03:39:54 PM
I regularly see used Toyota and Honda vehicles within a grand or two of a brand new one.  The reason?  There's always some moron who will pay it.

Well, since I am in no rush.  I will wait till the follow up call and lean on them.

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on May 25, 2009, 03:18:42 PM
Was looking at an 09 Highlander today.  It had 2200 miles on it.  He says the manager was using it.  So I asked how much they were taking off the sticker?  Answer was 10 cents a mile.... :nutty:  Anyway, this particular Highlander had every conceivable option including Nav and DVD system.  Sticker was right about $41K.  Edmunds shows a TMV of $4000 less.  It's an 09 and the 2010's are coming out very soon.  I didn't get into the pricing much since I'm not under the gun right now but I might check back in a week or two.

Anyway, I would think the fact that it's a used vehicle would warrant a bigger price cut?

10 cents a mile....only about $200 for that use?  That's bullshit.  It should definitely be reduced more than that.  What I would do is decide if you really want it, and if you do, come up with a rock bottom price, go in there, and tell them you'll buy it right now at that price.  Take it or leave it.  They'll be more likely to deal if they know you're really serious.  The guy must have thought you were just fishing.

What are you thinking about the Mazda?  Are you still considering that?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

It's not a used car if the dealer owned it throughout, which it sounds like it did. But you should indeed be able to get a large discount if you do go that route.

Catman

Quote from: dazzleman on May 25, 2009, 04:15:22 PM
10 cents a mile....only about $200 for that use?  That's bullshit.  It should definitely be reduced more than that.  What I would do is decide if you really want it, and if you do, come up with a rock bottom price, go in there, and tell them you'll buy it right now at that price.  Take it or leave it.  They'll be more likely to deal if they know you're really serious.  The guy must have thought you were just fishing.

What are you thinking about the Mazda?  Are you still considering that?

Well, today we looked at the Pilot, Pathfinder and the Highlander.   My wife did like the Acadia but it has a useless roof rack and overall the quality of the interior bits didn't leave me with a good feeling.  My wife hates the Pilot, too boxy, bland and plasticy.  She doesn't like the styling of the Mazda or the high center console.  The Highlander is one of the few vehicles that we both like.  I didn't really care for the plain one I saw at the NY auto show but the Limited is pretty nice.  It had a high end feel about it and offered enough interior flexibility as well as a decent roof rack. 

Catman

Quote from: ifcar on May 25, 2009, 04:16:28 PM
It's not a used car if the dealer owned it throughout, which it sounds like it did. But you should indeed be able to get a large discount if you do go that route.

What do you think 2200 miles is worth on the bottom line?

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on May 25, 2009, 04:19:11 PM
Well, today we looked at the Pilot, Pathfinder and the Highlander.   My wife did like the Acadia but it has a useless roof rack and overall the quality of the interior bits didn't leave me with a good feeling.  My wife hates the Pilot, too boxy, bland and plasticy.  She doesn't like the styling of the Mazda or the high center console.  The Highlander is one of the few vehicles that we both like.  I didn't really care for the plain one I saw at the NY auto show but the Limited is pretty nice.  It had a high end feel about it and offered enough interior flexibility as well as a decent roof rack. 

Did you look at the Taurus X, or had you eliminated that one already?

It's hard to say what 2,200 miles from the manager is worth, really. Maybe $2k off? $3k? It comes down to what someone else would likely be willing to pay, as well as how much extra you would pay to not have the miles.

Catman

Quote from: ifcar on May 25, 2009, 04:28:20 PM
Did you look at the Taurus X, or had you eliminated that one already?

It's hard to say what 2,200 miles from the manager is worth, really. Maybe $2k off? $3k? It comes down to what someone else would likely be willing to pay, as well as how much extra you would pay to not have the miles.

Wife won't consider a Ford..... :huh: 

CALL_911

Maybe a Touareg? VW's depreciate rather nicely, it's worth a look. The Touareg VR6 is a fantastic car.

My pick in this class is the Pathfinder.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on May 25, 2009, 04:19:11 PM
Well, today we looked at the Pilot, Pathfinder and the Highlander.   My wife did like the Acadia but it has a useless roof rack and overall the quality of the interior bits didn't leave me with a good feeling.  My wife hates the Pilot, too boxy, bland and plasticy.  She doesn't like the styling of the Mazda or the high center console.  The Highlander is one of the few vehicles that we both like.  I didn't really care for the plain one I saw at the NY auto show but the Limited is pretty nice.  It had a high end feel about it and offered enough interior flexibility as well as a decent roof rack. 

Cool.  Good luck if you decide to buy it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 25, 2009, 04:34:16 PM
Maybe a Touareg? VW's depreciate rather nicely, it's worth a look. The Touareg VR6 is a fantastic car.

My pick in this class is the Pathfinder.

The Pathfinder is really at a large disadvantage in size, ride, efficiency and comfort.  I had a 2001 which was good at the time but we drove the new one and it just doesn't stack up well against the newer vehicles.

Catman

I had originally planned on keeping the Sequoia but I didn't realize it was still worth what it was on a trade in:

KBB - $13,525
Edmunds - $15,213    

Eye of the Tiger

Chrysler should be having some killer sales. You could probably get an even trade on a new Jeep Commandeer.   :pee:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Those are great values for a car that age, Greg.

Catman

Quote from: dazzleman on May 25, 2009, 05:13:20 PM
Those are great values for a car that age, Greg.

I would think they would try to undercut.  I went to a Honda dealer last week and got pretty friendly with the sales guy (he was a fellow vet so we hit it off).  He told me they would give me KBB value and even looked it up for me. :huh:

Catman

So here is the pricing from Edmunds:

Don't count the $750 because I would rather take the lower APR.  I would think that somewhere south of $35K would be appropriate?  Of course they would need to be fair on the trade in value also...

dazzleman

I learned from experience, you need to tie the trade-in value negotiation to the new car price negotiation.

Are they offering any deals on financing?

Catman

Quote from: dazzleman on May 25, 2009, 06:24:03 PM
I learned from experience, you need to tie the trade-in value negotiation to the new car price negotiation.

Are they offering any deals on financing?

I planned on that which is why I am trying to nail down the trade in value.  As far as the financing, yes the interest rates are cheap.  I'm not sure I want to go more than the $32-34K range though.  Not sure I need nav, etc.

AutobahnSHO

I've HEARD that up to 3k miles is still "new"?

Still, I'd push for a lower price or walk ohn that many miles. (That's if I were actually buying new... )
Will

GoCougs

I would definitely attack it as a used vehicle one year old; not only because of the mileage but the 2010s should be just about hitting the lot.

If it were me I'd target a $30k - $32k price, and hold the line on KBB/NADA trade-in value on the Sequoia.

Catman

Quote from: GoCougs on May 25, 2009, 07:27:59 PM
I would definitely attack it as a used vehicle one year old; not only because of the mileage but the 2010s should be just about hitting the lot.

If it were me I'd target a $30k - $32k price, and hold the line on KBB/NADA trade-in value on the Sequoia.

I agree.  I'm in a good position right now and in no rush.  I certainly won't be disappointed if they say no.  I would have to assume that most dealers are under pressure to move inventory right now.

Colonel Cadillac

I've driven a new Highlander and it was actually a pretty good SUV. It was reasonably fun to drive and pretty fast also.

Catman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 25, 2009, 07:51:27 PM
I've driven a new Highlander and it was actually a pretty good SUV. It was reasonably fun to drive and pretty fast also.

I agree.  The steering was over boosted but it had OK feel.  The Pilot felt big and heavy compared to the Highlander but it rode a little better.  The Toyota felt much better in the engine dept.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: Catman on May 25, 2009, 08:00:56 PM
No 3rd row seating.

True.

Maybe you could check out a CPO Q7? Like VWs, Audis depreciate very quickly.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

Catman

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 25, 2009, 08:02:39 PM
True.

Maybe you could check out a CPO Q7? Like VWs, Audis depreciate very quickly.

We looked at some Audi's. Very expensive.  Realistically, I don't want that high end of a vehicle.  It's not going to last any longer

Catman

Quote from: CJ on May 25, 2009, 08:04:06 PM
Veracruz?

I was looking at that but my wife doesn't like Hyundai or the styling.  I'm not wowed by the exterior but it's a nice vehicle.