WTF issue: a strap caught in the mechanism for the trunk

Started by SVT_Power, May 26, 2009, 12:35:03 AM

SVT_Power

I should've taken a picture while I was at home but basically a golf bag strap got caught in the mechanism for the trunk of the explorer. So it's shut but we can't open it because the mechanism is not doing whatever it needs to do to unhook from the floor. So it's almost like the trunk lock is engaged.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? And what the hell do I do...?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

FoMoJo

Sounds like a tough one.  I doubt you can get the interior panel off with the door shut; if it's anything like my Escape.  I'd try working the golf strap out; if it tears, so much the better because it'll be easier to remove.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

S204STi

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 26, 2009, 11:20:51 AM
Sounds like a tough one.  I doubt you can get the interior panel off with the door shut; if it's anything like my Escape.  I'd try working the golf strap out; if it tears, so much the better because it'll be easier to remove.

+1

Sometimes brute force and ignorance works well too.  Have someone hold the trunk release button while two people pull upwards really hard.  Might do it.

VTEC_Inside

I should have added if possible to my comment. I was able to remove the door panel off one of the rear doors in my brothers old corolla with the door shut, but it was tricky... (long story)

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 26, 2009, 02:05:11 PM
I should have added if possible to my comment. I was able to remove the door panel off one of the rear doors in my brothers old corolla with the door shut, but it was tricky... (long story)

Yeah, sometimes it works.  You can overpower clips, bend panels, etc.  I looked like a raging chimp the other day bracing my feet at waist height and pulling, yanking, jerking, pulling (etc) with all my might on an interior door panel on an Acadia door that wouldn't open from inside or out.  I was able to access the latch and didn't damage the panel either, despite my violence.

Onslaught

I'd just take it to a body shop. I have to fix crap like that all the time for free. That said I can't really tell you what to try without looking at it.

As others have said you probably can get the interior panel off. But it won't be easy.

NomisR

Remember that scene from Back to the Future where Marty McFly got trapped in the trunk with the keys?  Yeah that..

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: NomisR on May 27, 2009, 04:35:53 PM
Remember that scene from Back to the Future where Marty McFly got trapped in the trunk with the keys?  Yeah that..

Hire a pot smoking African American prom band to watch as their guitarist opens it and slices his hand with a flat head screwdriver?

Can you play the guitar Ed?

SVT_Power

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 27, 2009, 11:47:03 PM
Hire a pot smoking African American prom band to watch as their guitarist opens it and slices his hand with a flat head screwdriver?

Can you play the guitar Ed?

no
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

VTEC_Inside