I think the E65 7-series will be a classic

Started by sportyaccordy, May 26, 2009, 05:38:44 PM

sportyaccordy

The E32 is long forgotten...

The E38 is good but kind of was what was expected

The E65 was a polarizing design. New technology, new engines (V8 & V12s), a big risk as the flagship of the company and the benchmark of the new design direction.

Not to mention, it has such road presence. Everytime I see one w/the sport package I fall in love again. My only beef is they are getting slammed in the brown hole by depreciation, putting them in the hands of possibly unscrupulous owners (i.e. I might be able to buy one soon lmaooooooo).

What do you guys think?

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

The E32 and E35's are the only 7'ers I like and wouldn't mind owning.

the Teuton

I think the E65 was a step up in many departments (poise, features, technology, ride), but it was a step down in some departments, too (handling feel, feel of size, styling, plastics quality).

I think it will be a forgotten BMW much like the first gen 3 Series.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on May 26, 2009, 06:12:52 PM
I think the E65 was a step up in many departments (poise, features, technology, ride), but it was a step down in some departments, too (handling feel, feel of size, styling, plastics quality).

No freaking way. It is the Acura Legend of the 2000's.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on May 26, 2009, 06:12:52 PM

Hey, I didn't forget the E21!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

I agree. It took balls to design it like that in & out and like it or not it was copied all over.

Re the Audi: The S8 is as bland as all Audi sedans. One design, three sizes, all front heavy. They suck.

I only respect (a lot) the R8 out of the current lineup. All other Audis could disappear for all I care.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 27, 2009, 04:07:59 PM
I agree. It took balls to design it like that in & out and like it or not it was copied all over.

Re the Audi: The S8 is as bland as all Audi sedans. One design, three sizes, all front heavy. They suck.

I only respect (a lot) the R8 out of the current lineup. All other Audis could disappear for all I care.
I agree (sorry saxonyron). The last S-Class was equally sterile and looked too long.

The E60 has grown on me as well. In the context of the current BMW lineup the E60 & 65 actually make sense. Who would have thought LMAO

Payman

Funny, aside from the 3 series, I feel exactly the same way about BMWs.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 26, 2009, 08:53:21 PM
No freaking way. It is the Acura Legend of the 2000's.

Acura Legend? 

Oh right, that car that was an Acura and they called it a Legend.  It was notable for have four wheels, seats, a steering wheel, and doors.  Legendary.  Ha!  No wonder.  I have posters of it on my wall.  Every month, there are Acura Legend fan club meetings in my area.  A bunch of guys getting together to check out each others' Legends, and they talk about politics and stuff like that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

See, you only say they're bland because you're used to cars being so ugly that no one wants to make a car that looks like it.  You've forgotten what a good looking, cleanly designed car is.  Now ugly is distinctive, and therefore brands aspire to being as ugly as possible. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Payman

Well, the Edsel is considered a classic... so why not.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on May 27, 2009, 10:30:10 PM
:mask:

(Yes, I really, really want one)

I was looking them up the other day.  Nice cars, but it's easy to see why they were so forgotten.  After the 2002 and before the M3, it's not really notable for any reason other than being first.

Of course the E65 will be remembered; for what, though, is the question.  Remembered as the car that started a revolution in BMW?  Or the car that sent them careening into a dark time where, while sales were high, the cars were so horribly ugly and overcomplicated that no one who didn't buy one understood why anyone did?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18759.msg1068999#msg1068999 date=1243485588
I was looking them up the other day.  Nice cars, but it's easy to see why they were so forgotten.  After the 2002 and before the M3, it's not really notable for any reason other than being first.

Of course the E65 will be remembered; for what, though, is the question.  Remembered as the car that started a revolution in BMW?  Or the car that sent them careening into a dark time where, while sales were high, the cars were so horribly ugly and overcomplicated that no one who didn't buy one understood why anyone did?

It pushed other manufacturers to take more daring designs. Befor the E65, every luxury car was boring.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on May 28, 2009, 08:44:47 AM

It pushed other manufacturers to take more daring designs. Befor the E65, every luxury car was boring attractive.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 28, 2009, 09:44:09 AM

I think it's boring. Granted, they were well proportioned, and ok to look at, but it was so inoffensive. I love the new BMW. It's "in your face".

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 28, 2009, 09:44:09 AM

Thank you.

Yes, the E65 was an influential design, but only because luxury manufacturers are lemmings.  They even copied iDrive, the worst invention to hit cars since....ever.  "Why press a button that I can press without looking at while I'm driving to change a setting when I can go through countless submenus with a 10 cent shitty piece of plastic that won't click on what I want it to click on?  This is brilliant!  Oh wait, I don't remember my car looking like it was wrapped around a telephone pole.  It looked a little dented on the sides, sure, but why am I bleeding?"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

When I think of a modern lux car, I think of being wafted away at high speeds without a sound from the outside.  I think of a glass-smooth ride, a stereo that never makes me long to go to a live concert, and enough toys to keep me entertained.

The E65/6 fits the bill for all of those, but the pre-redesigned version is downright ugly.  Having taken a 760Li on a really short jaunt two times, I will say the car is excellent.  But I don't think it was worth the extra $40k over the V8 model.  It was also ugly as hell in its first form.  And those kinds of lux cars are not what you buy if you want to be noticed.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on May 28, 2009, 09:49:01 AM
I think it's boring. Granted, they were well proportioned, and ok to look at, but it was so inoffensive. I love the new BMW. It's "in your face".

See, here's the problem, and it's not just you, although you seem to be affected the most.  Ugly is not good.  Ugly is not interesting.  Ugly is not exciting.  Ugly can be distinctive.  Ugly can be in your face.  But that's not good.  Ugly is ugly, plain and simple, no matter how much you look at it.  People can't turn away from car wrecks either, but that doesn't make them attractive.

Let's say that in a crowd there are two women.  One is shockingly beautiful, the other is Morlock-like in her hideousness.  You'll notice both.  That doesn't make them equal. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on May 28, 2009, 09:59:41 AM
When I think of a modern lux car, I think of being wafted away at high speeds without a sound from the outside.  I think of a glass-smooth ride, a stereo that never makes me long to go to a live concert, and enough toys to keep me entertained.

The E65/6 fits the bill for all of those, but the pre-redesigned version is downright ugly.  Having taken a 760Li on a really short jaunt two times, I will say the car is excellent.  But I don't think it was worth the extra $40k over the V8 model.  It was also ugly as hell in its first form.  And those kinds of lux cars are not what you buy if you want to be noticed.

The E65 has a glass smooth ride?  Do you actually live on glass?  Because on roads it rides like shit. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on May 28, 2009, 10:03:25 AM
The E65 has a glass smooth ride?  Do you actually live on glass?  Because on roads it rides like shit. 

I have driven the A8 L 4.2 and the 7er in both wheelbases and engines.  I didn't think it was that bad at all.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18759.msg1069143#msg1069143 date=1243526371
Thank you.

Yes, the E65 was an influential design, but only because luxury manufacturers are lemmings.  They even copied iDrive, the worst invention to hit cars since....ever.  "Why press a button that I can press without looking at while I'm driving to change a setting when I can go through countless submenus with a 10 cent shitty piece of plastic that won't click on what I want it to click on?  This is brilliant!  Oh wait, I don't remember my car looking like it was wrapped around a telephone pole.  It looked a little dented on the sides, sure, but why am I bleeding?"

One: I didn't say it was a beautiful car. I do like elements off of it, but overall the entire package is a bit homely.

However, I applaud BMW for evolving. The number one reason that car companies (any company, really) fail because they don't adapt their product to their changing clientele. It's the reason that MG is dead, and why GM and Chrysler is in the situation they're in. BMW's clientele changed, the conservative older folks that bought them are replaced with more outgoing, loud and vicarious young people (similar to myself), young people that want to stand out.

sportyaccordy

I will go as far as to say the pre-facelift version is beautiful. Best colors are white, navy blue and black. Of course it has to be the SWB version. The taillight arrangement, the absolutely perfect proportions, the way it looks smaller than it actually is... I can't think of a better looking fullsize luxury sedan, Quattroporte included.

And I don't have much experience with luxury cars, but the few times I rode in it I definitely felt coddled. IDrive wasn't awful but I do wish there were just a normal radio interface. Other than that it was decent... don't see what the big deal is.

NomisR

What they need to do is to make a M version of the 7 series.