The Finder of Paths

Started by Eye of the Tiger, May 29, 2009, 02:38:13 PM

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on June 09, 2009, 03:34:18 PM
$68/hr. Not too bad.  :huh:

If he does good work, that's very reasonable.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

Quote from: NACar on June 09, 2009, 03:34:18 PM
$68/hr. Not too bad.  :huh:

That's what my latest mechanic charges. But, I get a free loaner car with free gas and he isn't even charging me for all the work he's doing. It's really a little baffling as to how he's making any money, I guess he probably doesn't have much overhead since it's just him in an old gas station.

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on June 09, 2009, 04:26:18 PM
That's what my latest mechanic charges. But, I get a free loaner car with free gas and he isn't even charging me for all the work he's doing. It's really a little baffling as to how he's making any money, I guess he probably doesn't have much overhead since it's just him in an old gas station.

Yeah it could be that the gas station side of things covers all the overhead, and everything else is just icing on the cake.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on June 09, 2009, 04:45:28 PM
Yeah it could be that the gas station side of things covers all the overhead, and everything else is just icing on the cake.

I meant that it was gas station in a previous life, now it's just a two bay repair shop with a parking lot filled with old Hondas, Acuras, and Nissans.

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on June 09, 2009, 04:48:26 PM
I meant that it was gas station in a previous life, now it's just a two bay repair shop with a parking lot filled with old Hondas, Acuras, and Nissans.
Oh, nevermind. 

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on June 09, 2009, 03:27:38 PM
Just dropped Pathy off at a shop to have the engine tun3d up.

Guess what other car they had inside: A white 1985 Rolls-Royce Corniche convertible with 1500 miles on it. It belongs to a customer, I guess. z0mg, I'm taking all my vehicles there now. :lol:

Why not have them put on a turbo?

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on June 09, 2009, 07:15:20 PM
Make it five, and we have a deal.

It works for me if it works for you.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on June 09, 2009, 07:11:30 PM
Just one?

Multiple turbos are for homos.

Single turbos are more efficient.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 09, 2009, 07:48:31 PM

I'm talkin bout compound turbos there, bud

sandertheshark

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 09, 2009, 07:48:31 PM

Your argument blows.

Eye of the Tiger

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on June 10, 2009, 06:42:03 AM
Actually, it doesn't blow enough.

It does if you use one of these:

Eye of the Tiger

The Pirate

Is the Pathy back from the tune-up yet?  If so, how's it running?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Still at the shop. They were supposed to call me...

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on June 10, 2009, 08:54:51 PM
Still at the shop. They were supposed to call me...

"Yeah, ya gotta loose murphy valve in yer manifold and yer timer drive gotta be recalerbrated.  Oh, and your tranny coil, whoah.  Yeah, that'll hafta be replaced completely, and that's a sunuvabitch to even get to that one.  It'll run ya bout eighteen, nineteen hunred, maybe more with labor, or if we find anythin else that's busted while we're in there.  So we'll call ya next Tuesday, maybe Thursday, tell ya how its goin."

Eye of the Tiger

The mekaniks said they couldn't find a problem with the engine, and that the vehicle is not worth puttong money into because of the frame rust and the belt squeal. I guess I should find some more competent mekaniks. :rolleyes:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on June 11, 2009, 08:18:11 AM
The mekaniks said they couldn't find a problem with the engine, and that the vehicle is not worth puttong money into because of the frame rust and the belt squeal. I guess I should find some more competent mekaniks. :rolleyes:

I think you need to rent a garage.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 11, 2009, 01:04:38 PM
I think you need to rent a garage.

At the moment, my #1 goal in life is to own a garage. The best way to do that is to finish school and get a job that pays enough for me to build my own garage.
Actually, when I move to the mitten, I will likely have access to a garage. I'll just have to clean all of gramma's junk out of it.

Eye of the Tiger

Mekanix finally figured it out. Turns out my first inkling was correct - the cat was clogged up, due to the rich condition, which was most likely caused by leaky exhaust manifolds.
I guess I have to get a set of headers, a new cat, and O2 sensor.

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Got Pathy back. Aside from the driveability diagnosis, they did a courtesy inspection. The list of things wrong is two pages long.  :lol:

There are only a few things that I did not know about, such as the RF axle seal leak, the chip in the windshield, and the dirty fuel filter.

Eye of the Tiger

I still have a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder with over 200k miles.  It's been flawless.  Pre renault Nissan liked to overengineer the crap out of their cars.

Especially the paint.  I have no idea what this Pathfinder used for paint clear coat, but it's probably Diamond or something.  I mistreated the hell out of this paint  because I didn't know how fragile paint is (washing it with dirty paper towels), and it just refuses to pick up swirl marks or scratches.  Compare this to modern automotive paint that seems to pick up swirls when you look at it hard...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 565 on June 17, 2009, 06:24:43 PM
I still have a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder with over 200k miles.  It's been flawless.  Pre renault Nissan liked to overengineer the crap out of their cars.

Especially the paint.  I have no idea what this Pathfinder used for paint clear coat, but it's probably Diamond or something.  I mistreated the hell out of this paint  because I didn't know how fragile paint is (washing it with dirty paper towels), and it just refuses to pick up swirl marks or scratches.  Compare this to modern automotive paint that seems to pick up swirls when you look at it hard...

The paint on mine is still very shiny. I wish I would say the same for the frame.