C&D: Mustang GT vs. Camaro SS vs. Challenger R/T

Started by GoCougs, June 03, 2009, 07:04:01 PM

Vinsanity

Quote from: TBR on June 11, 2009, 04:56:56 PM
I think it has the best interior of the three. I don't like interiors that try to be trendy.

If the exterior is trying to be trendy, then the interior might as well be on board too.

TBR

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 11, 2009, 05:11:55 PM
If the exterior is trying to be trendy, then the interior might as well be on board too.

Well, that's true. Though, to be fair, the Challenger's exterior also doesn't try to be as trendy as the Mustang/Camaro.

Vinsanity

The concept Challenger's interior would've been cool

And IMO it does look reasonably production-ready.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 11, 2009, 05:22:23 PM
The concept Challenger's interior would've been cool

And IMO it does look reasonably production-ready.
Yeah, except for the horrible gauges.

Nethead

Quote from: GoCougs on June 11, 2009, 11:09:42 AM
The R/T is commonly criticized for its handling; relative to the torsion bar, leaf spring solid-axle forbearfer it's lighter years better, but relative to most any two-door coupe or sedan, especially its immediate competition, it's the luxo-barge of the group. Is this "bad" per se? Depends; I see it more as the intent of the design to go more towards a cruiser rather than a handler, but strictly by the numbers it's not very good.

A good analytical summary of the Challenger's niche in the marketplace!  I think this niche would have been better served--and less costly to produce--if Chrysler had gone with a two-door Charger instead--everything forward of the doors coulda been straight Charger, and the money saved coulda paid for better interior design and materials.  Opportunity lost...

Chrysler's in a turbulent state right now--who knows how the Italian bosses will view their line-up.  Chrysler geared up for a two-year production run of Challengers, and planned to re-assess the Challenger's market viability near the end of that run before committing to a third year.  Now, Italians will likely be making that decision--the Nethead here cannot possibly predict the outcome of that.  

Within the Challenger's intended market, it is oversized, overweight, and overpriced--whereas the 300 & 300C are none of those in the 300's intended market.  In today's severe market, this ain't good.  The intelligent decision would be to cut their losses on this one, and concentrate on the minivans, the 300s, the Chargers, the trucks, and those actions necessary to sell Fiats in North America.  
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on June 12, 2009, 08:56:08 AM
A good analytical summary of the Challenger's niche in the marketplace!  I think this niche would have been better served--and less costly to produce--if Chrysler had gone with a two-door Charger instead--everything forward of the doors coulda been straight Charger, and the money saved coulda paid for better interior design and materials.  Opportunity lost... 
Yeah except the Charger is ASS ugly.  The Challenger at least makes some money for Chrysler.

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 12, 2009, 11:02:20 AM
Yeah except the Charger is ASS ugly.  The Challenger at least makes some money for Chrysler.

NOT TRUE!  That being said, the current Charger is waaaayy short of the glamour of the '68s.  Its looks are on a par with the '66s--except the '66s were two-door coupes which settles the issue in favor of the '66s, IMO.  

And THAT being said, who knows how the Italians feel about it--and they're the 800 pound gorilla at the Chrysler offices right now...

So many stairs...so little time...

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2009, 11:06:22 AM
http://www.auto123.com/en/multimedia/videos/915619?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=english&utm_campaign=email&utm_campaign=whats-new&utm_medium=email&utm_source=june-15-2009&utm_content=v3.0

there... that comparo should stoke the flames a bit  :lol:

No one's ever heard of auto123.

Plus it seems like the just compared whatever cars they had access to (probably because no one's ever heard of auto123).

An SRT8 against the 4 banger Hyundai and the V6 Camaro?

They might as well have thrown in the GT500 and Z51 for good measure.

r0tor

Bah, they appear to be a perfectly legit reviewing team with nice videowork
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2009, 12:27:27 PM
Bah, they appear to be a perfectly legit reviewing team with nice videowork

Yeah but no one is gonna argue about it.  Plus they didn't say anything new or controversial, they pretty much said what we all know.

r0tor

someone will take umbrage to the Camaro finishing last... you wait and see  :popcorn:

jadewolf123

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2009, 12:39:12 PM
someone will take umbrage to the Camaro finishing last... you wait and see  :popcorn:
I take umbrage with the Challenger finishing second. That porker is a dud.

Plus they're French-Canadian. Shifty folks. :lol:
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2009, 12:39:12 PM
someone will take umbrage to the Camaro finishing last... you wait and see  :popcorn:

See now that you said that, someone's gonna do it just to prove me wrong.  :rage:

r0tor

Quote from: 565 on June 18, 2009, 12:45:34 PM
See now that you said that, someone's gonna do it just to prove me wrong.  :rage:

:lol:  :evildude:

...not to mention that car with the wheezy little aenemic 1.3L engine on a 6 year old chassis beating up on some serious machinery...  :mask:

CALL_911

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2009, 12:58:58 PM
:lol:  :evildude:

...not to mention that car with the wheezy little aenemic 1.3L engine on a 6 year old chassis beating up on some serious machinery...  :mask:

The R3 is hawt. :wub:

I do want one.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 18, 2009, 01:08:34 PM
The R3 is hawt. :wub:

I do want one.

...there is part of me that wants to scrap my getting a winter/commuter car idea and just trade my 8 in for a new one...

GoCougs

It all began with pronouncing Mazda with a sharp "a"...

Fail on all levels.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 565 on June 18, 2009, 11:45:24 AM
No one's ever heard of auto123.

Plus it seems like the just compared whatever cars they had access to (probably because no one's ever heard of auto123).

An SRT8 against the 4 banger Hyundai and the V6 Camaro?

They might as well have thrown in the GT500 and Z51 for good measure.

Yeah seriously. No duh the Hyundai and Camaro get the last 2 places - they both had the base engine while the others had the most powerful engine available (I'm not counting the GT500)