Big inside
Snick-snick six-speed

Lows:
Corners on custard
Too heavy
Drap cabin
Tries off the church bus

GoCougs

I don't agree with the results, and neither do virtually all other comparison tests. C&D just has it for the Mustang it would appear.

In before the Mustang Fanboyz descend upon this thread. 

S204STi

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Ford needs to either up the content or drop the price on the Mustang.  The base GT in particular isn't a great value, nor is the V6 Premium.  IMO, the base GT should start no higher than $26.5K given its feature content (and the fact that there are no upgrade options or packages).  And the GT premium should be at least a grand cheaper than it currently is.  That's really the only negative thing I have to say about it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on June 03, 2009, 07:40:27 PM
Ford needs to either up the content or drop the price on the Mustang.  The base GT in particular isn't a great value, nor is the V6 Premium.  IMO, the base GT should start no higher than $26.5K given its feature content (and the fact that there are no upgrade options or packages).  And the GT premium should be at least a grand cheaper than it currently is.  That's really the only negative thing I have to say about it.

I have to agree... it's a great car, but perhaps a bit of the price comes with the name.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on June 03, 2009, 07:40:27 PM

I prefer the content route. Ford needs to step up the timing for these new engines.

New V6, that new 5.0L V8 and a six speed manual for both. Throw IRS in and keep the weight about where it is and i'd be interested in a V8 GT.

GoCougs

Just before They begin, let me get in that I believe the Mustang GT is a great car and a decent value, but I just don't think that it's either a better car or a better value than the Camaro SS.

S204STi

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 03, 2009, 07:48:46 PM
I prefer the content route. Ford needs to step up the timing for these new engines.

New V6, that new 5.0L V8 and a six speed manual for both. Throw IRS in and keep the weight about where it is and i'd be interested in a V8 GT.

I'd even consider suffering through a well-sorted multilink rear end, which the current car seems to have.  Still, IRS would be nice.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: R-inge on June 03, 2009, 07:52:23 PM
I'd even consider suffering through a well-sorted multilink rear end, which the current car seems to have.  Still, IRS would be nice.

Yes, believe it or not I would allow that to be the last and only thing not incorporated in my list. A 5.0L V8 and a six speed would be good, i'd have to drive the hell out of it(not speed wise) before i'd commit to the solid axle though.

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on June 03, 2009, 07:48:12 PM
I have to agree... it's a great car, but perhaps a bit of the price comes with the name.

I was looking at the difference between invoice and MSRP.  I think Ford intentionally inflated the price so that dealers would have more wiggle room to make consumers think they were getting a bigger deal.  On a base Mustang GT, the difference between MSRP and invoice is over $2200 and on the GT Premium that grows to a little over $2500.  The difference between invoice and MSRP on a Genesis 3.8GT is $1675.  On a Camaro 2LT, it's $1200.  $1640 for a 1SS.  In addition, Ford has the highest destination fee (in what world does it cost more to ship a car built in the US to a US destination than it does to ship a car made in Korea to someplace in the US?), which only further inflates the price.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

What is the 1-2-3 turn signals?

---------------------------

C&D must really be crap. I disagree with the frivolous reasons on why things are where they are.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on June 03, 2009, 08:33:36 PM

C&D must really be crap. I disagree with the frivolous reasons on why things are where they are.

The tail lamps have 3 LED bulb clusters that light up sequentially when the blinker is turned on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89UiyukoQNg
Needs more Jiggawatts

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on June 03, 2009, 08:33:36 PM

They really are pretty cool, but cool blinkers a superior car does not make.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on June 03, 2009, 07:05:50 PM
I don't agree with the results, and neither do virtually all other comparison tests. C&D just has it for the Mustang it would appear.

Well, the Camaro V6 beat the Hyundai Genesis in C&D by one point only through Gotta Have It.  Maybe the Camaro isn't as good to drive as the Mustang.  Cars are more than numbers, you know.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 03, 2009, 07:48:46 PM

Make it a tiny bit smaller too, and fix the ugly ass rear windows. Maybe make the regular/GT/Cobra models IRS and make a Bullitt or some other BS version available with the horse wagon axle. Or make a kit. Share the rear suspension with the Explorer or something to save costs and give the Mustang some import/Euro cred. I'd be all over that like white on rice. A 99-04 Cobra is on my list of cars to possibly own when I'm settled...

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 03, 2009, 07:50:25 PM
Just before They begin, let me get in that I believe the Mustang GT is a great car and a decent value, but I just don't think that it's either a better car or a better value than the Camaro SS.
Coming from someone who has never driven either car.   :rolleyes:

Every review I've read (even the ones that put the Mustang 2nd...which is all of them) state the steering, handling, and grip of the Mustang are superior to that of the Camaro.  In fact, one comparo even said it was a photo finish (which you discounted for some reason).  Maybe, just maybe, the Camaro only won those comparos because it's the new kid on the block.  I haven't driven either of these cars, so I'm only speculating, but it sounds to me like the testers all agree that the Camaro ain't as good as some think, and the Mustang is better then some think.  But, that's just speculation on my part.

r0tor

i was waiting for this to be posted... lolz

the camaro got rocked in the handling department
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 03, 2009, 10:12:19 PM
Coming from someone who has never driven either car.   :rolleyes:

Every review I've read (even the ones that put the Mustang 2nd...which is all of them) state the steering, handling, and grip of the Mustang are superior to that of the Camaro.  In fact, one comparo even said it was a photo finish (which you discounted for some reason).  Maybe, just maybe, the Camaro only won those comparos because it's the new kid on the block.  I haven't driven either of these cars, so I'm only speculating, but it sounds to me like the testers all agree that the Camaro ain't as good as some think, and the Mustang is better then some think.  But, that's just speculation on my part.

I don't need to drive any car to levy judgment. Just maybe, the Camaro keeps winning because it embodies to a greater degree what a pony car should be; powerful, quick/fast, styling and most of all, value. Further, most every other review has criticized the harshness and road noise of the Mustang's optional Track Pack.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 04, 2009, 08:19:33 AM
I don't need to drive any car to levy judgment. Just maybe, the Camaro keeps winning because it embodies to a greater degree what a pony car should be; powerful, quick/fast, styling and most of all, value. Further, most every other review has criticized the harshness and road noise of the Mustang's optional Track Pack.
Hmmmmm, that's interesting.  Care to point out where you read that?  I haven't read that anywhere.  I just quickly ran through the 2010 Mustang Review Thread and didn't find those comments anywhere.  I also grabbed a couple of my magazines here and can't find comments to that nature.  Every review I've read praises the Track Pack for still having a comfortable ride, and nowhere have I read anything about road noise.  Every single review has mentioned how the new Mustang's interior is so quiet now that the exhaust noise had to piped into the cabin so you can hear it.

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on June 04, 2009, 05:40:35 AM
i was waiting for this to be posted... lolz

the camaro got rocked in the handling department
I'm not saying the Camaro isn't a good car, because it is a good car.  But maybe it's not as good as you want to think it is.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 04, 2009, 08:58:12 AM
Hmmmmm, that's interesting.  Care to point out where you read that?  I haven't read that anywhere.  I just quickly ran through the 2010 Mustang Review Thread and didn't find those comments anywhere.  I also grabbed a couple of my magazines here and can't find comments to that nature.  Every review I've read praises the Track Pack for still having a comfortable ride, and nowhere have I read anything about road noise.  Every single review has mentioned how the new Mustang's interior is so quiet now that the exhaust noise had to piped into the cabin so you can hear it.

MT and R&T both complained, and it's really not without seeing; IMO; tightening up a strut and live-axle machine is going to cost.

Xer0

While these muscle car camparisons are fun and all, I want to see the 370Z get tossed in aswell since its in pretty much the same performance/price catagory.

Oh, and having seen a couple of Camaros on the road already, the '10 Mustang looks better, imo.  The Challenger still looks the best though.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 04, 2009, 09:11:52 AM
MT and R&T both complained, and it's really not without seeing; IMO; tightening up a strut and live-axle machine is going to cost.
I can't find these complaints you speak of.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 04, 2009, 08:12:04 PM
I can't find these complaints you speak of.

And I'm too lazy to do the work...

Gotta-Qik-C7

I wanna see how the Stang performs without the optional Track Pack.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

sandertheshark

Quote from: GoCougs on June 03, 2009, 07:04:01 PM
Second: Chevrolet Camaro SS

Lows:
Looks angry

What?   :confused:

I love how evil it looks, like its waiting for the right moment to come alive and kill people.  Every muscle car should have a heavy helping of sheer, untamed menace.