Why is it called a "dashboard?"

Started by giant_mtb, June 04, 2009, 04:53:28 PM

giant_mtb

ifcar

"board in front of a carriage to stop mud from being splashed ("dashed") into the vehicle by the horse's hoofs" (1846).

Eye of the Tiger

Why is Dashboard Confessional the lamest wannabe song writers but is just a dumb emo punk band ever?

Self-explanatory.

Go.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Because they're just a dumb emo punk band. 

Eye of the Tiger

Rich

Because you keep calling it that.  The industry refers to it as the IP (instrument panel)
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Here's a designerly term for you: What is the DLO? :ohyeah:

giant_mtb

2o6

Morris Minor

I noticed a few minor differences in automotive terminology after I moved to the US from the UK. I'm sure there are some I've forgotten, but:

Wheel Arch = Wheel well
Boot = Trunk
Bonnet = Hood
Fender = Wing
Rocker Panel = Sill
Windscreen = Windshield
Offside = Driver side
Nearside = Passenger side

People in the US talk about "shifting" gears rather than "changing" them. Funnily enough, "dashboard" & "glovebox" are the same.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

2o6

93JC

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 05, 2009, 06:23:38 AM
I noticed a few minor differences in automotive terminology after I moved to the US from the UK. I'm sure there are some I've forgotten, but:

Wheel Arch = Wheel well
Boot = Trunk
Bonnet = Hood
Fender = Wing
Rocker Panel = Sill
Windscreen = Windshield
Offside = Driver side

People in the US talk about "shifting" gears rather than "changing" them. Funnily enough, "dashboard" & "glovebox" are the same.

Wheel arches and wheel wells are two different things, are they not?

And rocker panel is a common term in North America... :huh:

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on June 05, 2009, 09:02:31 AM
Wheel arches and wheel wells are two different things, are they not?

And rocker panel is a common term in North America... :huh:

Exactly. I thought he had that one reversed.

93JC

I've heard both rocker panel and sill, but I personally would say rocker panel.

And wheel arches are the round or rectangular recess in the fender to accommodate the wheel (and may comprise fender flares), while the wheel well is the sheet metal above and behind the wheel which separates it from the cabin.

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 05, 2009, 06:23:38 AM

Wheel Arch = Wheel well
Boot = Trunk
Bonnet = Hood
Fender = Wing
Rocker Panel = Sill
Windscreen = Windshield
Offside = Driver side

Hehe, my MG shop manual has a section on British to American car terms. It's quite long. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

bing_oh

Quote from: Psilos on June 05, 2009, 04:18:27 PM
Hehe, my MG shop manual has a section on British to American car terms. It's quite long. :lol:

I always use "boot" and "bonnet" when discussing my TR3...and always in a hackney'd Brit accent, too! :lol:

omicron

Quote from: bing_oh on June 07, 2009, 10:49:41 AM
I always use "boot" and "bonnet" when discussing my TR3...and always in a hackney'd Brit accent, too! :lol:

Your TR3? Did I know about this?

Rupert

Quote from: bing_oh on June 07, 2009, 10:49:41 AM

Yeah, you've got to do the accent, wot! Tally-ho!

I thought you were a former British car owner, not a current one; pics!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

bing_oh

Quote from: omicron on June 07, 2009, 10:53:09 AM
Your TR3? Did I know about this?

Quote from: Psilos on June 07, 2009, 01:44:33 PM
Yeah, you've got to do the accent, wot! Tally-ho!

I thought you were a former British car owner, not a current one; pics!

I spoke of my TR3 back when I joined up. It was my father's for at least 30 years...it was the car on which I learned shade tree mechanics. He signed it over to me shortly before he died, so it has significant sentimental value. It's in my garage needing alot of work right now...it hasn't run in probably 10 years...but I believe that I may have a place to work on it opening up, so the restoration may begin before the end of the summer. I'm hoping to do just short of a ground up restoration and put it back close to what it looked like when dad bought it off the track at Mid Ohio.

No pics right now, but I'll see what I can do. I plan on doing a full "diary" during the restoration, so I'll definitely start a thread and post my progress when the work starts.