Favorite Dead Brand?

Started by the Teuton, June 05, 2009, 01:02:49 PM

What's your favorite down (and possibly out) brand of the past decade?

0 (0%)
3 (11.5%)
9 (34.6%)
0 (0%)
9 (34.6%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (3.8%)
2 (7.7%)
0 (0%)
Other
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on June 11, 2009, 02:01:57 PM
And to me it's still kind of slow and over priced for what it was.  Mostly just overpriced. With a typical cheap 90's domestic interior.

And I don't hate them.

I mean, I see his point.  If you wanted a street rod, then you're not really looking at a Corvette as competition.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18855.msg1080676#msg1080676 date=1244750683
I mean, I see his point.  If you wanted a street rod, then you're not really looking at a Corvette as competition.
IF I wanted a street rod then I'd want a built one. Will it cost more? Yes. Unless I do it myself.
Can I get it made exactly like I want it? The motor I want? The transmission? Color? Interior? Yep, I can have a car made for me and my needs. Any crazy ass shit I'd like.

If I go get a Prowler then I'll have limited options on all the above. Unless I want to take my brand new (and still expensive) car to a shop and hope they do a good job. And in the end it will still look like a Prowler that's had some rims and a paint job done.

I don't think people who got one are idiots or anything. But no way in hell I'd give that kind of money on a car like that. And I personally think the build quality on the things looked like ass for something that expensive.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on June 11, 2009, 02:12:38 PM
IF I wanted a street rod then I'd want a built one. Will it cost more? Yes.
Can I get it made exactly like I want it? The motor I want? The transmission? Color? Interior? Yep, I can have a car made for me and my needs. Any crazy ass shit I'd like.

If I go get a Prowler then I'll have limited options on all the above. Unless I want to take my brand new (and still expensive) car to a shop and hope they do a good job. And in the end it will still look like a Prowler that's had some rims and a paint job done.

I don't think people who got one are idiots or anything. But no way in hell I'd give that kind of money on a car like that. And I personally think the build quality on the things looked like ass for something that expensive.

Say someone like me wanted a street rod.  That person wouldn't be able to build one himself, unless it's made out of Legos.  And even then, it'd be iffy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18855.msg1080688#msg1080688 date=1244751259
Say someone like me wanted a street rod.  That person wouldn't be able to build one himself, unless it's made out of Legos.  And even then, it'd be iffy.
You can have them done. Or buy one from someone who did.

As he pointed out a good one will PROBABLY cost more than the Prowler did. But I think they can be better cars.

And a Lego car would rock! But Lego's cost an arm and a leg so that would end up costing more than any of them.

ChrisV

Most shop built, or home built, street rods are actually quite a bit worse at being cars than the Prowler. The advantage of major manufacturer engineering of all the ancillary bits can't be overstated enough. Simple things like door latches, window regulators and seals, suspension geometries, working wipers, etc. While I'd also rather build my own, the fact is a major manufacturer's car has a lot of advantages in the realm of being a car. And anything with anywhere NEAR the ability, quality, and functionality will cost much more to buy, either already built, or custom built for you. No "probably" about it.

And very apparenlty, enough people liked the looks of the Prowler, and the advantages of warranty on ALL the parts, as well as a lower price than what are essentially cookie cutter street rods, to make it a viable car.

I mean, some of us really want to be different than the crowd, but in the street rod realm, there are a ton of those '33s like I posted, as well as way too many of these:

I swear there are way more of these on the road now than there were in 1932.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

BTW, is this thread loading really slowly for anyone else? Every time I try to load any page on this thread, it just hangs forever...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Onslaught

I don't notice it being that bad as far as load time.

Go try the "spotted today" one. That WILL take forever.

omicron

Quote from: Byteme on June 11, 2009, 09:14:08 AM
I didn't see that until after I posted.

Regardless Studebaker made some marvelous cars.  The Golden Hawks come to mind

1957 Golden Hawk

or

1934 Dictator.  What a great name for a car.

The GT Hawk is one of the best-looking cars of its day. So refined and elegant:

Payman

Lynrd Skynrd.

Oh wait... you said brand.

thewizard16

Pontiac. I was sad when the local Saturn dealer closed because I could no longer stare at the Sky while stuck in traffic, but I'll miss Pontiac overall much more.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

hotrodalex

I would rather have the original idea behind the Prowler. Chrysler got it from Chip Foose while he was studying design. The Prowler was what they were able to build using his idea. However, he continued to build his original image - the Hemisfear.